Home Improvement - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #141  
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Broncoduecer's Avatar
Broncoduecer
Status: Offline
peter
D90
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NV
Posts: 1,421
Love the color, that glass will look slick in it!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #142  
Old July 11th, 2016, 07:21 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Here are some tiling pics.
Dude be careful it looks like you have a streaker in the neighborhood taking pics through your window!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3435850051.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	153547  
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old July 11th, 2016, 07:22 AM
tjfslaughter's Avatar
tjfslaughter
Status: Offline
thomas
Burbon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NorthEast
Posts: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Dude be careful it looks like you have a streaker in the neighborhood taking pics through your window!!
you ass. I tried to delete that photo when I noticed it also...
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #144  
Old July 11th, 2016, 08:55 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,612
Registry
geezer
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old July 11th, 2016, 10:18 PM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,072
Registry
How are the toes?
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:42 AM
FlyersFan76
Status: Offline
Chris
1987 110 Convertible
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Glen Mills, PA USA
Posts: 427
Registry
Decided to redo the kitchen.

Every DIY'r should own one of these setups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161001_175800.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	159977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160705_094105.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	159978  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161016_151008.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	159979  
__________________
2011 Range Rover Sport
1987 Land Rover 110 Cabriolet

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old October 20th, 2016, 08:54 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,407
Registry
House has been an absolute monster undertaking turns out, which a newborn and a 20 month old make really interesting. I wont even post pics of the boring stuff like new septic, new cellar stairs, repairing rim joist and sill plates, painting the house, new windows, new shed, new lawn, new doors, new landscaping you name it.

I'll just post the cool stuff like projects with my wood

First i needed a step from our Sunroom/office/utility room to our kitchen/dining area.

3.5" thick x 14"w x 6' slab of red oak , kept the bark. Dog Approves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	160266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	160267  

__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old October 20th, 2016, 09:01 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,407
Registry
Second, just finished today, a nice long bench for the same room to put shoes under, bags on, sit on while you put shoes on etc. basically a 9' long, 17" wide 1.5" thick solid cherry "shit shelf" with a live edge.

Really cool about the cherry is there were a bunch of grubs under the bark, so when removed you get left with all the "tunnel marks from these grubs doing their thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	160268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3650.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	160269  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3657.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	160270  
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old October 20th, 2016, 09:06 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,407
Registry
Two projects on deck. A coat hanger with shelf to go above the bench made from more live edge cherry

and a his and her desk for me and the wire made from some book matched cherry slabs Have 4 slabs total. Each are 15-18"w, 2.5" thick, 11' long. Desk will only be about 6' or 7' long though. Hope to use the left over for end tables.


If anyone needs some rough cut lumber i got more than i will ever use. Been selling it cheap on craigslist. up to 18" wide red oak boards, hickory, and some cherry left.

Massive Cherry, white oak, and red oak beams that would be great for a mantel

and slew of live edge "off cuts" for various smaller projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3603.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	160271   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3600.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	160272  

__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old October 20th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Davis's Avatar
Davis
Status: Offline
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,389
Awesome
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old October 20th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Shep29's Avatar
Shep29
Status: Offline
KS
'95 RRC LWB
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: On a Mountain
Posts: 811
Registry
Had a deck built this summer off the back of my house. Since my driveway wraps around the back to where the garage is, had to use steel for the fame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1414671245.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	160274  
__________________
'95 RRC LWB Aspen Silver
'86 110 SW Conniston Green - SOLD
'95 D90 ST Beluga Black - SOLD
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:05 AM
koltonstanley's Avatar
koltonstanley
Status: Offline
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ocean,NJ
Posts: 433
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Two projects on deck. A coat hanger with shelf to go above the bench made from more live edge cherry and a his and her desk for me and the wire made from some book matched cherry slabs Have 4 slabs total. Each are 15-18"w, 2.5" thick, 11' long. Desk will only be about 6' or 7' long though. Hope to use the left over for end tables. If anyone needs some rough cut lumber i got more than i will ever use. Been selling it cheap on craigslist. up to 18" wide red oak boards, hickory, and some cherry left. Massive Cherry, white oak, and red oak beams that would be great for a mantel and slew of live edge "off cuts" for various smaller projects.
Wow looks awesome
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:05 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,243
Registry
Damn Adrian - that is some very nice work! I love the bench especially. I think those metal legs look perfect with the cherry.

Speaking of mud rooms (I'm sure the kids are too little now but they get big quick) but here are some ideas if you are working on that area:

- The mud room entrance is by far the busiest area in the house and the one the misses sees and stresses about most.
- I typically hate storage areas (they just collect shit) but if you can make a storage area/room for holding the activity items near where you pull up in the car you will save yourself a lot of time over the years, haha. I curse every time I have to drag ski or hockey gear from the mud room entrance all the way to the storage room on the other side of the house. Bonus stuff in the storage room would be a hose off area for dirty surfboards, dogs, hiking/hunting gear, mtn bikes, etc and a dryer/ventilation for wet lacrosse or football pads
- any chance you can make a detached shop/garage? I have a theory that divorced garages prevent divorced marriages. I would have smoked up the house bad if I didn't have a detached garage when I was figuring an IP issue. And the kids stay out as most of their items are in the house.

Sorry to throw a ton of info but I know how active you guys are and I am sure the kids will be too.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:48 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,407
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Damn Adrian - that is some very nice work! I love the bench especially. I think those metal legs look perfect with the cherry.

Speaking of mud rooms (I'm sure the kids are too little now but they get big quick) but here are some ideas if you are working on that area:

- The mud room entrance is by far the busiest area in the house and the one the misses sees and stresses about most.
- I typically hate storage areas (they just collect shit) but if you can make a storage area/room for holding the activity items near where you pull up in the car you will save yourself a lot of time over the years, haha. I curse every time I have to drag ski or hockey gear from the mud room entrance all the way to the storage room on the other side of the house. Bonus stuff in the storage room would be a hose off area for dirty surfboards, dogs, hiking/hunting gear, mtn bikes, etc and a dryer/ventilation for wet lacrosse or football pads
- any chance you can make a detached shop/garage? I have a theory that divorced garages prevent divorced marriages. I would have smoked up the house bad if I didn't have a detached garage when I was figuring an IP issue. And the kids stay out as most of their items are in the house.

Sorry to throw a ton of info but I know how active you guys are and I am sure the kids will be too.

Thanks Don

Yes the coat rack and shelving that wll be on it will be a huge help. Especially in winter with gloves and hats and stuff.

Unfortunately this room is also our office. So it doubles as a mudroom and stroller parking as well as a work space for me and the wife. Luckily it is pretty big, 13x25

and yes i absolutely want a detached garage and its in the plans, but all these repairs have sucked the money out of me. My bigger battle is getting the wife to love the house and want to stay here. She really missed red bank and walking into town.

The good news is she needs me to sign to sell it and im as stubborn as a mule.
We'll see what the spring brings If we stay i think a pool and garage will round out the improvements. Alot going on in such short period of time.


ps. yes she took my soft cushy chair that she bought me a yr ago, and now that shes working at home i get the hard kitchen table wood chair! Go figure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3658.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	160338  
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:25 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,243
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Thanks Don Yes the coat rack and shelving that wll be on it will be a huge help. Especially in winter with gloves and hats and stuff. Unfortunately this room is also our office. So it doubles as a mudroom and stroller parking as well as a work space for me and the wife. Luckily it is pretty big, 13x25 and yes i absolutely want a detached garage and its in the plans, but all these repairs have sucked the money out of me. My bigger battle is getting the wife to love the house and want to stay here. She really missed red bank and walking into town. The good news is she needs me to sign to sell it and im as stubborn as a mule. We'll see what the spring brings If we stay i think a pool and garage will round out the improvements. Alot going on in such short period of time. ps. yes she took my soft cushy chair that she bought me a yr ago, and now that shes working at home i get the hard kitchen table wood chair! Go figure
I can see it being hard moving from Red Bank where you could walk to get the dry cleaning, stop at the bank and get a cup of coffee in 10 minutes. But the lack of privacy in most of Red Bank would be tough for me.

I feel like having kids has a strong impact on where you live. You want schools and the sports/activities to be very good all the way to high school. When they get a little older and you and your wife are driving them to school, their friends' house, soccer fields, etc you don't want to be in the car any longer than you have to. And you'll be hanging with your kids friends parents so you want people that are pretty cool too.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:10 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,407
Registry
Just finishing up a new desk for my wife since we both work from home now. The particle board temporary desk has long outstayed its welcome.

Two book matched slabs of cherry from the trees i had cut and milled on my property.

about 7' long and up to 28" wide, 2.125" thick after finishing. Love the tracks from grubs under the bark on the live edge.

Welded up the legs out of 3x4 5/16" tubing, then roughed em up with a 80 grit sand paper flap disk and clear coated them

Next is my desk from two similar slabs but a bit wider (and will be 8' as i often have to roll out 36x48" plans for work. Also going for some underhung drawers on mine made from 5/4 cherry boards out of the same tree. Im sure it will take significantly longer but learned alot on the first desk so hoping it will come out even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	161697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3662.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	161698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1981.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	161699  
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:16 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,407
Registry
Another

Notice my basement is not only a wood shop now but also storage for the rest of my 109



woodworking with free lumber is alot more affordable than working on the 109, and right now with all the money spent on the house this summer its about the only tinkering I can afford lol

109 is on hold for a little while!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3565030563.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	571.7 KB
ID:	161700  
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Davis's Avatar
Davis
Status: Offline
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,389
Beautiful.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:19 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,407
Registry
Last one. Making me upload these one at a time for some reason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-311832008.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	161703  
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:55 PM
sonoronos's Avatar
sonoronos
Status: Offline
Ed
None
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 5,328
Registry
sell some of those beautiful tables to make money for the 109 resto
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A/c improvement Campbell Defender Technical Discussions 4 May 27th, 2011 07:16 PM
Heater Improvement Kit boshea Defender Technical Discussions 3 October 14th, 2005 01:46 PM
home-made rock sliders Chris Cox Misc. Chit-Chat 8 May 7th, 2004 04:57 PM
Home Depot Sale on Power Tools loykd Misc. Chit-Chat 3 December 20th, 2003 12:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Copyright