Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
Hit and Run...but caught him - Options?

My neighbor saw my d-90 get sideswiped on Saturday. I got in the truck Sunday morning, and he came out to tell me what he saw and gave me a partial plate number. He saw the whole thing, then ran after them and they sped away. It was a silver minivan that had been parked next to my place.

The damage to my d-90 - front bumper bent out to about 45 degrees, brush guard scraped up a bit, head light surround bent up. No other damage.

The van? "Completely F***ed"

I sent a text to a different neighbor that has a silver minivan. He told me that his wife was driving and that since they didn't have my contact info, they were going to come by the next day, even though i was home at the time and he has my roommate's #. He then offered to buy me a refurb bumper he found on ebay for $80.

The guy has a reputation for being a dishonest contractor, and I would rather not deal with him more than i need to. I sent him an email that said i would rather have insurance handle it, but if he didn't want to file a claim, he could buy me an ARB winch bumper plus install costs. He didn't respond. He would like to "come by and see the damage".

What would you realistically do this situation? He's admitted fault IN WRITING in a hit and run, then lowballed me on a fix. Thoughts on how to proceed? Legal options / best case scenario?

Thanks guys,
Bennett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2012, 04:36 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Call the police and file a report. Ask the police if they can get his insurance information for you. File a claim with his insurance company. If he doesn't have insurance, file with your insurance company and they will take care of chasing him down.
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
My neighbor saw my d-90 get sideswiped on Saturday. I got in the truck Sunday morning, and he came out to tell me what he saw and gave me a partial plate number. He saw the whole thing, then ran after them and they sped away. It was a silver minivan that had been parked next to my place.

The damage to my d-90 - front bumper bent out to about 45 degrees, brush guard scraped up a bit, head light surround bent up. No other damage.

The van? "Completely F***ed"

I sent a text to a different neighbor that has a silver minivan. He told me that his wife was driving and that since they didn't have my contact info, they were going to come by the next day, even though i was home at the time and he has my roommate's #. He then offered to buy me a refurb bumper he found on ebay for $80.

The guy has a reputation for being a dishonest contractor, and I would rather not deal with him more than i need to. I sent him an email that said i would rather have insurance handle it, but if he didn't want to file a claim, he could buy me an ARB winch bumper plus install costs. He didn't respond. He would like to "come by and see the damage".

What would you realistically do this situation? He's admitted fault IN WRITING in a hit and run, then lowballed me on a fix. Thoughts on how to proceed? Legal options / best case scenario?

Thanks guys,
Bennett
Contact your insurance company with his license plate information...let them handle this sh*t. That's what you pay them for...that would be my advice, but mainly because the guy is a d-bag it sounds like. If it was someone you were friendly with I'd take a different approach. Just my $0.02.

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2012 04:39 PM ------

Also get a signed affidavit from your neighbor that saw everything, this will help line up the facts.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
definitely file a police report.

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2012 04:40 PM ------

And don't get the newest ARB - they're FUGLY
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Contact your insurance company with his license plate information...let them handle this sh*t. That's what you pay them for...that would be my advice, but mainly because the guy is a d-bag it sounds like. If it was someone you were friendly with I'd take a different approach. Just my $0.02.

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2012 04:39 PM ------

Also get a signed affidavit from your neighbor that saw everything, this will help line up the facts.
Agree 100%. dont let him create drama over the situation, thats why you pay for insurance to protect your assets from stupidity.
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:49 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I'd find out if he is actually insured and file a police report! If you don't trust the guy and they didn't even leave you a note on the car I'd say protect yourself as best you can. Call your insurance ASAP and file the police report. Good luck.

Daniel
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Insurance then police

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old June 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

File a police report asap and work through insurance.

He made you an offer, you countered which nullified his offer but gave him the opportunity to do what you want (work through insurance or pay for ARB plus install- he prob will decline insurance). If he says yes, then can you even work through insurance since you have created a contract and all he has to do is accepet your offer and then pay for what was agreed upon? Once he agrees and pays, then consideration given, no?

EDIT: why do we always hear about cali drivers doing the hit and run thing? especially celebs. even the head of commerce.
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:00 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Thanks guys
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
BCN
BRIAN
94/D90/#1337/AA YELLOW

Worked for an insurance co for a number of years.

If you have Comp/Coll you are covered. You pay the deductable and they pay the rest. They will subrogate with his insurance/him and you may get your deductable back. (you will not be held at fault)

If you have good insurance, they may waive your deductable. Ask them.

In CA we have UIMPD (uninsured motorist property damage) if he is not or underinsured and you may recoup your money there.

Long and short, call your insurance and go to the cops and file a report (they won't come to you unless someone was physically hurt in the INITIAL incident).

Don't even talk to the D bag... he'll screw with you as long as he can, then disappear.
Old June 11th, 2012, 05:02 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Also, he's definitely insured. He has about 8 cars, one of which is an 80's Ferrari
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:09 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Tell the guy you want a rockware bumper as a replacement.

You should not mix civil and criminal issues (you car parts/ hit an run). This is very dangerous.

File a report, don't press charges.......yet.
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
He had his oppurtunity to man-up and failed. Police report ASAP. Get pictures of his minivan to accompany it. I have no sympathy for a**holes who leave the scene without leaving any info.
Happened to me on a smaller scale with my Cayenne two weeks ago. Right in front of a cafe where people where sitting outside on the sidewalk. People couldn't get a plate but described the vehicle. Never caught them.

This will end in drama unless you just play it by the book. Guy (and his wife) sound like a rolling disaster.

GL
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

He should be issued a summons for leaving scene of accident. I would file PD report asap, as those type of people never resolve the issue smoothly.... time will pass then claim there's more damage & after lapse time will be his word against yours..... no worth deductible.... for me would be out of principle..... I wouldn't have another word with him..... hit & run is open/ close case with PD & insurance.....
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:03 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
I agree file a police report just keep in mind it will find it's way onto your carfax.
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
This is what I did.

A drunk guy sideswiped me and even stopped and we talked for a bit and when my back was turned he took off. I did not get his plate but was able to find his car a few weeks later at the construction site where he worked. I had a feeling he worked there because he had a hard hat in his truck and they were constructing a building just down the street from my office. The accident was also a few blocks from my office. Anyway the insurance company paid but I was out my $500 deductible. Here is why you want the police involved.

After I tracked him down and confronted him I was able to get his temp tag info. I provided that to the police and they went to his house and he confessed. When it was time for him to show up at court he did not show. The court filed a judgement against him and now for the past three years when he gets a state tax refund, the check is sent to me. So far I have received about $300.

All of this was done because of footwork on my part and getting the police involved. The insurance company did nothing to get my deductible back because he was uninsured.

Good luck, but file that police report right away.
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

That worked out...sorta. Too bad you had to go through all of that! you should get interest for having to wait for all of your money. guys like that are what tie up the system with BS!
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOX View Post
I agree file a police report just keep in mind it will find it's way onto your carfax.
2x. If it is only a bolt on bumper, knock on his door to resolve the problem in cash to cover your real losses, not the inflated cost of replacing a factory bumper with an ARB as that could be construed as extortion. Only if he does not pay for your actual losses in cash, then call the police followed by insurance. Personally, I would do everything possible to avoid calling the insurance company on something so small.
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ignore downshift's advice let the insurance company deal with it. Use the police yo get full insurance info

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
State Farm will handle it on his side. Im not worried about carfax as i'll never sell my truck. Even if i did, i could just present the work order for the brush guard replacement etc. I would much rather have a dealership fix what he broke than negotiate a cash deal with this guy. I have no interest in extorting him. The bumper needs replacement, and the brush guard is scratched enough that it will probably be an equivalent price to replace the whole thing with a rockware than to blast, file down, re-powdercoat, and buy a new bumper. I'll let the dealership figure that out, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00227-20120611-2119.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	52827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00228-20120611-2119.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	52828  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat