Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
May I suggest ophthalmic exam. So give it a rest.
LOL...good one. That should have been the end of this thread. The trucks aren't really to my taste but that look is growing on me a little with the newer vehicles out there. Though my LR's are still (and probably always will be) all steel wheels, dents and scratches, etc.

Some of you guys giving Mark a hard time are the ones that have an image problem, LR can be done any way, you do what you want with your motor that's what LR is all about.

Video shows a good sense of humor. I like it. Please, don't bring back the douche with the binoculars. Instead lets see more of the star of this video...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
26 year-old Arizona trust-funders who frequent gyms and tanning salons, wear Affliction t-shirts and their caps at an angle, who traded in a F-350 with 28" rims and a 10" lift for this 110?

This is a thug vehicle for flashy, tasteless twenty-something guys. The same guys who find sport bikes doing nose wheelies on the salt flats appealing.

I don't hate this guy for ruining NAS 110s. One less super-clean stock 110 on the market and that only helps the rest of us who have them.
Its also missing the "TAPOUT" sticker
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
And Kings, Brah!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

LOL...good one. That should have been the end of this thread. The trucks aren't really to my taste but that look is growing on me a little with the newer vehicles out there. Though my LR's are still (and probably always will be) all steel wheels, dents and scratches, etc.

Some of you guys giving Mark a hard time are the ones that have an image problem, LR can be done any way, you do what you want with your motor that's what LR is all about.

Video shows a good sense of humor. I like it. Please, don't bring back the douche with the binoculars. Instead lets see more of the star of this video...
After bringing my NAS back to stock and updating many things I definitely loved how civil and fun it drove vs the loud and rough 110 that replaced it. I bet the Himalayan's builds are very nice to drive and sure do look pretty. For a ton of people / buyers that is the type of truck they want and I can see why.

I don't think people have a problem with the way the build was done (I actually would love to build a hot rod Defender, dropped a couple inches, nice interior, 18s with street rubber and a bitchin' exhaust). But for Himalayan to get all crazy about the wheels and offset is pretty ridiculous. I thought the comments were tame.

Honest question - how does the video show a good sense of humor? I saw it as a serious promotion video aimed at buyers that will be driving this vehicle to whatever hot club and have it parked up front with other cool rides and they can tell their buddy how he can take it on an expedition into the Himalayans if he wanted to. Chris Snell and others posted some good descriptions of that buyer. And to be honest that is totally fine in my book! To me, it's cheesy as fuck but if you can make the sale for that dollar amount then good for you. Hell I can tell my buddies that the rat bastard in my garage will be close to the $100k rigs that ECR and Himalayan sells when I am done with it.

But to show a vid like that on here where a lot of people wheel and do their own builds and fixes and get all crazy when says something about the wheels? I got more shit when asking about running 35s on my 90 on Pirate. I thought sales people were supposed to have some thick skin?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Honest question - how does the video show a good sense of humor?
I like the punch line at the end. That's all. Mostly though its not my bag. Yes it is a promotion video and a pretty well done one at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I thought sales people were supposed to have some thick skin?
I have no idea, never been a sales person. I do see a lot of vendor types getting involved in back and forth battles on the net. I used to be more of an asshole online. Now I just try to have fun and relax and I'm only an asshole in person and usually only to try to elicit laughter from those around me.

I guess my point is that ultimately, I think Mark seems like an okay bloke and while we don't share an aesthetic (very much) I don't think it really matters. I'm not going to tell him what to do and I hope he doesn't tell me what to do. And I appreciate him sharing the video and look forward to more, just another niche of the LR world.

And hopefully one day we can all sit around a campfire and sing koom-ba-ya while we sip some brown liquor and talk about tires and spacers and all that other happy bulls**t ...

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Variety is the spice of life.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
I can't believe I just now clicked on this thread! This has been an entertaining read. I have to agree with the majority though...........I hate the wheels/tires.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Variety is the spice of life.
Agreed.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Don't know what all of the hubbub is about I thought it was a pretty cool video and the Model/Actress...!?! is stunning...so...looks good to me and keep cranking them for your clients.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
SimpleJack
Joe
94 D90 NAS ST

Registry
Pass. I think it could use some curb feelers.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM
ben
Bryan
Always in the works

Registry
Good job man

I really like that color on the truck.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I really like that color on the truck.
Bro, don't do this to my FJ

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:56 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I have to agree with Mark (himalaya) here.
For f*ck sake guys, Mark simply shared a video. He wasn't asking you to spend your money on his trucks, nor was he asking for input on his interpretation.
It's fine to poke a little fun at the "bling factor", but some of the comments are just hateful and discouraging.
The last time I posted something I thought was amusing it resulted in a shitstorm of unwanted criticism I could live without.

Folks, if you want to miss out on content because people refrain from posting thing for fear of being ridiculed (especially a forum member who has skin in the game and actually works on these trucks, not some 2-post newbie who is asking how to import a puma) keep it up. I'm not being a softy and not suggesting censorship but really, Mark put together a well-produced short undoubtedly on his own dime. Who cares if t he truck is to your taste, he's obviously an enthusiast and we should respect that on some level.

Mark, keep up the good work and don't stop sharing your work product.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:58 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

I like the punch line at the end. That's all. Mostly though its not my bag. Yes it is a promotion video and a pretty well done one at that.

I have no idea, never been a sales person. I do see a lot of vendor types getting involved in back and forth battles on the net. I used to be more of an asshole online. Now I just try to have fun and relax and I'm only an asshole in person and usually only to try to elicit laughter from those around me.

I guess my point is that ultimately, I think Mark seems like an okay bloke and while we don't share an aesthetic (very much) I don't think it really matters. I'm not going to tell him what to do and I hope he doesn't tell me what to do. And I appreciate him sharing the video and look forward to more, just another niche of the LR world.

And hopefully one day we can all sit around a campfire and sing koom-ba-ya while we sip some brown liquor and talk about tires and spacers and all that other happy bulls**t ...

True stuff. I quickly went thru some of Himalayans old posts and he seems well enough. And like you said for a promo video and for that target audience it is probably more than fine, including the girl and the sport bike.

I did some sales after college - sold Subarus and then to small local businesses ad space in newspapers Both sucked and I made no money but it taught me a few things. Still figuring out exactly what those thing are tho, haha.

And I have had some good discussions with some online venders that post here. They have done well by me but I can see how Internet BS / drama can bring out the worst.

BTW - I have plenty of discussion material for wheels and would love to discuss over a campfire some day. Preferably after a good day of riding trail :
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
It is all about attitude

It never is about quality, demographic target , etc

As a business owner engaging in a pissing match speaks volumes about his wrongful self perception

Mark, I do not know you nor I care to do so, but if I'm a million chances I was to reach out for any rover related concern, certainly YOU wouldn't be the one

Sad , quite sad
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
Wow, Mark! Great production work! Nice looking piece of wool, fast motorcicle and a well done high end rover. Good on ya!!
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
It is all about attitude

It never is about quality, demographic target , etc

As a business owner engaging in a pissing match speaks volumes about his wrongful self perception

Mark, I do not know you nor I care to do so, but if I'm a million chances I was to reach out for any rover related concern, certainly YOU wouldn't be the one

Sad , quite sad
kinda like the hosts of the Cove when people pissed on their thread You know you're my buddy but just saying.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Doc,

Not the same, my event is a NOT FOR PROFIT ( if any, we are the ones risking the money ) intent to gather a group of enthusiast to enjoy our love for the Marquee at a great venue, far from being comparable.

If someone disagree with my company I always take the " chill pill " and analyze what it is said for a take away scenario. I deal often with crazy demands , douches and the likes, but will never engage in a pissing match, not acceptable, furthermore will prove a point of arrogance to other potential clients.

I love you too, but you are way wrong on the comparative statement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender