Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
What a disaster.
Haha - I don't want to harsh on his video but I was thinking the same thing. Given the music, sportbike stunter, cheesy chick, and rims the target audience is probably not found on this board. I wouldn't mind some blue grass or metal, more dirt, trees and rocks, and shuttling into a remote zone for some freeride mtn bike runs or a nice swell if you were looking for some "lifestyle" shots. But I am certainly not the target audience for such a nice rig.

The 110 does look impeccable from the quick shots. I would love to see some more up close views and some in process shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
A bit thin-skinned today? wow.

Your last post just also offended everyone that liked your video.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
To those who post positive comments and have sent many pms I thank you for your comments and support.

I shared this video for entertainment, not expecting contemptuous mockery from a forum is supposed to be a fellowship of enthusiasts to help each other out and enjoy Land Rovers. The majority of posts on this thread (and others) seem quite negative instead of just enjoying it as entertainment. If you have something better to offer lets see what you have.

One last comment re the wanker with the hat and gun from a previous Series Landrover ad. Well, truth is I can sell a truck almost instantly, while I see many of your vehicles for sale for months. Ever wonder why? Could it be I know something your don't?
To quote Frankie Four Fingers "Booby, I probably know a lot you don't"
I guess I was unaware that it was posted up as a humorous attempt at entertainment...I honestly thought it was an advertising video for your products. Speaking of your products - I have no issues with your work, in fact I like what you do.

One last thing - I think your statement about the length of time vehicles are for sale is the proverbial "you", as you obviously have no idea how quick I can turn a very hefty profit on the vehicles I have sold as a neophyte(not doing anything like you of course) ...and btw that particular series truck if I recall correctly took months or more to sell ....

If you don't want comments then don't publish things on public forums - pretty simple rule mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I see those rim types all the time in pics of European rovers, especially range rovers. Not sure why they like them so much.

What demographic is buying the Himalayas and asking for those rims. The remainder of the truck is beautifully done, so the rim choice is as he states is clearly a simple targeted customer preference.

I think what we as a forum don't like about those rims is it is a very urban look for a rim-wheel combo, which rubs our heritage preference the wrong way.

Mark, you can't be faulted for providing what your customers like.

PS, that chick is not cheezy. there is never anything bad that comes from chicks and rovers together in a video.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:34 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Mark you shouldn't post on a forum if you don't want comments. "Contemptous mockery"? Really? A few comments about your wheels and you get all waah waah? Then you go on to lay it on to the whole forum? Nice.

Here's my comments that I was holding back until your dumbass rant.

This truck makes as much sense as a streetbiker driving in a desert. Oh wait, you figured that out already.
Your "talented team of professional guys" - Who do what? Bolt together Defenders like everyone else on this board? Make shitty design choices to appeal to people who have inferiority complexes, who know nothing and have equally shitty taste? Who will then sell the truck again in a year for the next fad on wheels. Whats next, flat black range rovers? Wow. awesome. You can keep your spare parts and leave the cheesy dub step/streetbiker in a desert videos for your website. Maybe you should keep to your clients that you know so well.

Thats what I thought anyway. I know you prob. have a family to feed and a business to run, so of course do what you gotta do, but realize that not everyone is going to be 100% onboard with something as "Hot Wheelz" as this.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

The Himalaya videos are fun and harmless. They shoot for the Berkshire Land Rover and ECR clientele base which means people who have no clue about Defenders except that they look a certain way and show a certain status, which is actually not what Defenders reveal about you in any other part of the world. I prefer the military vid because it shows the Walter Mitty side of some of those well loaded clients and who doesn't love multicam?!

My beef, why can't we visit your shop? I went down to Charleston to visit the folks and could not find you. You should invite rover enthusiasts to drop in see what you have to offer. I've been to lots of high end LR conversion shops including BRL, Nene, Foley's in the UK, and GMB, Engage4x4 and Entreq in Germany but you guys don't seem to want to be found. Let us visit and see your stuff close up ... we promise not to breathe on your paint!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
The irony is that in the British Top Gear tv episode reviewing the wonder of the Land Rover, they claimed one of it's great attributes is that it is "utterly classless" revealing nothing about the status of the owner.

There is a difference between being "utterly classless" and having no class.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Ask me again about posting a Land Rover build thread. Hmm... whats in it for me? Insults?
Why would I have any desire to share insight, new ideas, resolutions to problems, new products, new concepts, and a surplus of great used items with such a group of negative people. (those with decency excluded)
I see many of you ask for help moving things across the country. We have our own transport driver, and several storage facilities, here and in UK with containers of parts in transit regularly from overseas. Should I suggest helping you out?
We have a plethora of used takeoff parts that are in great condition for the average truck but not up to Himalaya standards. There are a few guys who know about this little treasure collection and have purchased thousands of dollars worth at super cheap prices. So insulting me kind of cuts you off the friendship perks list doesn't it?

I also contribute to the iH8MUD forum for custom LandCruiser builds. I posted a build thread there on a rare truck to share with others with the same interest what can be done that was highly appreciated.
Look you are a businessman but I am a user who has Defenders operating on 3 continents. Many of them armed. I am a member of two UK, Australia, South African and Middle East LR forums and I know THIS forum is THE core of USA LR & Defender owners. It ain't for Land Cruiser owners. A good businessman would be looking at the members of this group as your FUTURE clients, not dissing them because they might make silly disparagements. The brokers, athletes and trust fund babies who may come to you for a high end vehicles may say stupid things too. I suggest you open up towards a community that supports you for just the fact that you own these vehicles. No matter how many Defenders you sell before lunch they will always be rare in America and owners are ruthlessly happy to be around other owners.

I know I am a newbie but I say let us all start again with man hugs and compliments and hopefully you will start sharing more information and offer the group. I do want to know more about Himalaya Defenders and now that I am home and all of my stable is coming back on ships ... I need to know where I can get good advice and ample supplies. So Group Hugz?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Mark, Don't worry everyone here wont think you came across as being a giant douche, just most people.
Mark that was a sad sad display. I would be horribly embarrassed if I were you.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

There is nothing for Himalaya to gain by showing anyone his builds or even participating on this forum. Anyone with business experience would agree. ECR also stopped participating and Berkshire only came on here when people were complaining about their business.

My guess is that the guy just wants to be part of the Defender community in the US.

ECR and other shops post build photos and Defender builds are not so different regardless of how shiny and new the parts look.

It looks to me like the guy does a great job. I can't speak to how they run, but they look well done.

That being said, some aesthetic aspects are not my taste. I'm sure everyone has an opinion, but overall the 110 looks good.

Also, those are wheel adaptors. There is no practical way to run aftermarket wheels without those spacers and they are quite popular in England. The benefit is that you can buy aftermarket Range Rover wheels which can be had for cheap. They don't push the wheels out that much (or at least the ones I had did not).

FYI, my 110 that I unfortunately could not keep came with similar wheels and it was sold before I even had a chance to list it for sale. I had to switch the wheels off of the truck once I had a sale pending because someone stole the spare and it was next to impossible to match it.

Non-Defender people in my neighborhood commented that it looked better with the aftermarket "murdered out" wheels. Himalaya is certainly onto something.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Non-Defender owning New Yorkers would hate my ride then.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Not a question of hating anything but the guy has a market for these trucks and it is not just rappers and NBA players.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
What's the missing demographic for aftermarket "murdered out" wheels that I'm forgetting then?

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Take a look at any higher end car that has come out in the past few years and they all have black wheels. It is not a New York specific trend.

------ Follow up post added August 22nd, 2013 12:07 PM ------

I don't think anyone would care about your truck which I assume is stock. I am pointing out that people like expensive cars to come with black over-sized wheels. Himalaya is trying to make money not friends.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
Not a question of hating anything but the guy has a market for these trucks and it is not just rappers and NBA players.
26 year-old Arizona trust-funders who frequent gyms and tanning salons, wear Affliction t-shirts and their caps at an angle, who traded in a F-350 with 28" rims and a 10" lift for this 110?

This is a thug vehicle for flashy, tasteless twenty-something guys. The same guys who find sport bikes doing nose wheelies on the salt flats appealing.

I don't hate this guy for ruining NAS 110s. One less super-clean stock 110 on the market and that only helps the rest of us who have them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
26 year-old Arizona trust-funders who frequent gyms and tanning salons, wear Affliction t-shirts and their caps at an angle, who traded in a F-350 with 28" rims and a 10" lift for this 110?

This is a thug vehicle for flashy, tasteless twenty-something guys. The same guys who find sport bikes doing nose wheelies on the salt flats appealing.

I don't hate this guy for ruining NAS 110s. One less super-clean stock 110 on the market and that only helps the rest of us who have them.

If some tacky tan dude is the guy that buys it who really cares.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I was looking for a photo...he may actually have different adaptors as these are almost in line with the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121019-00272.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	78045  
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Well bottom line, the himalaya truck build quality look great to me, including that one you just posted Ben. The wheel choices is probably the absolute easiest fix for any owner to adjust to personal preference, so there it is, and they are able to do it and survive under the scrutiny of the CBP and EPA. So I say good on them and keep the D's flowing! After the rappers are done with it in 6 months, they can sell it to an enthusiast that will swap the wheels and really enjoy it.

PS More rovers and chick videos please. Lucky8 paved the way for us.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Give me a minute I have an after picture as well.

Mine was not a Himalaya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	78046  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender