Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:48 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
High Mileage Trucks

Curious about the pros to a lower mileage truck- does it really warrant the premium price? I'm not asking about the super low collector trucks that you are going to wash and look at. I'm talking about the 75k-125k trucks that you are going to drive on a daily basis.

If you had two trucks, same year but different miles- one was at 80k and the other was 127k. Similar lack of rust overall, well cared for, similar "options" and close in price. Which truck do you choose and why.

I was just poking around and was seeing a lot of 80k mile trucks with asking prices over $30k which seems like it is up from last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Plenty of trucks claiming low miles probably aren't ... check the history closely. I'd be more suspicious of a low mileage truck ... especially if it had a premium price. Any discrepancy in the docs add another 100k miles to the displayed mileage.

Check the speedo and check it's original. ECR has a page showing the difference.

Condition of the truck is more important than miles in my opinion.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
parts of mine have 265k with plenty of patina

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I have seen trucks with super low miles that are neglected / beat to hell and high mile trucks that are in great shape.

I would go with one that had an owner that took care of it even if the ODO was higher
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

damn, my d90 must have at least 160k miles on the chassis. But everythings been changed at least once, so its still going.

Robert Deniro
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

A couple years back I really considered buying a local NAS 110 with super low miles either 23K or 32K, I can remember... It is perfect and had already been to ECR. I was troubled by paying that much $ and not wanting to drive and use it. Even my NAS ST only has 56K on it and I have had it almost 10 years.

I would probably consider the best maintained, best quality truck and use that one, regardless of mileage.

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
The Oprah truck?
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:51 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
The Oprah truck?
What's that reference to?
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:54 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Oprah or her estate owned a NAS 110... yes that was it... I still lust after it, but the economy has not been too kind.

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Opra had a NAS110? haha thats pretty funny.

Robert Deniro
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

High miles don't bother me. I said it before, mechanicals are cheap if you are a DIY type.
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Miles don't bother me either. I would be leery of a 90 that sat for long periods of time. Seals dry up...etc...
Mechanically sound is important regardless of miles...

Cheers...

Old April 16th, 2012, 09:21 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
They are all equally POS, buy the nicest truck you can afford. Id buy they one that had the bigger list of receipts.
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Good point on the 'actual mileage' as a broken or unscrewed speedo cable is not uncommon. Keep in mind these trucks are nearly 20 years old so whether they've been cared for or not should become quite apparent with a good look and a test drive. For me, my 90 shall remain as OEM as possible yet be capable with practical, bolt-on goodies like a tuffy box, led lights, lockers, roof rack, etc... but not butchered up with 47 gauges, seats out of a Yukon, and two 18" subs in the back (no offense to those with such a setup) but those don't tend to appeal to purists like the others. Keep in mind that what you buy, so shall you sell.

With a high mileage truck look for the guy who is passionate about his 90, lots of maintenance records, knows every nook and cranny, and, of course, a forum member. :-) There are many other questions to ask and things to look for but you can find all of those details right here with some savvy searching.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:07 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I went the route of well maintained higher miles with the priority being the least amount of rust on the chassis. I thought everything else could be fixed in order of priority. I think my strategy kept things real. Never wanted a low miles rig that I would be afraid to wheel.

Once again I find myself in "the hunt"
Prices seem higher than before for the same rig. I guess they are either appreciating or there are a lot of overpriced rigs on the market. Most of the low miles "pristine" rigs have been on the market for a long time.

Not sure if I can be as patient as last time I searched but gotta hold out long enough to get a good deal .
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
I went the route of well maintained higher miles with the priority being the least amount of rust on the chassis. I thought everything else could be fixed in order of priority. I think my strategy kept things real. Never wanted a low miles rig that I would be afraid to wheel.

Once again I find myself in "the hunt"
Prices seem higher than before for the same rig. I guess they are either appreciating or there are a lot of overpriced rigs on the market. Most of the low miles "pristine" rigs have been on the market for a long time.

Not sure if I can be as patient as last time I searched but gotta hold out long enough to get a good deal .
Gery....what the hell happened??? Looking at your avatar - that's sickening. How'd it go up???
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Holyshit I just noticed. Did we lose a blue ST? That sucks!!!!

I agree with the stack of receipts speak for themselves. No matter what the mileage is, these trucks are 15 years old at a minimal. Stuff decays and ages. I would like to know that an owner was on top of everything.

The next thing you need to think about is luck. My 110 had a stack of receipts that covered 25k in repairs in ten years yet it still needed to have the engine rebuilt a month in.

You just need to find a truck that you are happy with the overall package.
Mileage
Rust
Care
Etc
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:45 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind

Gery....what the hell happened??? Looking at your avatar - that's sickening. How'd it go up???
I guess this is a good a place as any. Lost the 05 LR3 and the 90 a little over two weeks ago. My detached garage went up in flames with the defender in it and the LR3 outside. It was so quick. Tried to save them but it was crazy. Fire marshal says its undetermined cause but I saw where it started. It was by the fuse panel inside. I think it was corrosion in the wires. We had two feet of water in our garage from hurricane Irene and whole basement flooded. Everything from our basement went in the garage. Needless to say it was a tinderbox.

See the Picts of how close we were to loosing the house. My family got out okay and that's what is important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3786836870.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	50425   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3568342700.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	50426  

Name:	image-3490951075.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	50427   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2942427009.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	50428  

Name:	image-911623689.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	50429   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3489101099.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	50430  

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh man...Gery, I'm so sorry that's terrible...but like you said glad everyone is ok.

Who's your insurance company?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:05 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind
Oh man...Gery, I'm so sorry that's terrible...but like you said glad everyone is ok.

Who's your insurance company?
We had different policies for the rovers and homeowners. We are pretty covered. There is a issue being so close to the water. FEMA may screw with us and might block us from rebuilding the garage. we will of course fight that.

We were lucky our boat wasn't in yet as it would of melted.

Sorry Alex for messing up this thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat