Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
I guess this is a good a place as any. Lost the 05 LR3 and the 90 a little over two weeks ago. My detached garage went up in flames with the defender in it and the LR3 outside. It was so quick. Tried to save them but it was crazy. Fire marshal says its undetermined cause but I saw where it started. It was by the fuse panel inside. I think it was corrosion in the wires. We had two feet of water in our garage from hurricane Irene and whole basement flooded. Everything from our basement went in the garage. Needless to say it was a tinderbox.

See the Picts of how close we were to loosing the house. My family got out okay and that's what is important.
Gery,
That is just unreal. Thank god you and your family is ok!

The fire actually melted the aluminum right off the truck!

That is crazy and really sorry that happen to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

That is terrible. Glad you are ok. Sucks to have lost it.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2012 09:06 PM ------

On a happier note, what are your looking for in a new truck?
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Damn, amazing your house was spared. You say the fire started in the fuse panel- I assume the detached garage fuse panel- any lessons learned to pass along to all of us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:14 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell

Gery,
That is just unreal. Thank god you and your family is ok!

The fire actually melted the aluminum right off the truck!

That is crazy and really sorry that happen to you!
It could of been a lot worse. Imagine if we were sleeping. I've got a 4 yr old and a 14 month old.
My praise to the firefighters who saved my house. Just have to move forward and rebuild. It's just stuff, but my defender was extremely special to me. It will be hard to replace with just "any" defender.

I've thought about getting a ROW 110 but I think a NAS 90 is what I'll focus on unless something better presents itself.

I'm hoping for better karma. It has been pretty sad for me lately.
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Man that is do hard to see.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007
Damn, amazing your house was spared. You say the fire started in the fuse panel- I assume the detached garage fuse panel- any lessons learned to pass along to all of us?
Smoke detectors should all be linked to each other for the whole property - including a detached garage one. If one goes off all should alarm.

Next collector car will be put on agreed value insurance.

Buy a house built by an Italian craftsman if possible. it's solid concrete and brick.
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:34 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
That hurts to see, sorry for your loss. Glad you and the family are safe.

Ian
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:19 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Thanks everyone. It's been pretty tough for me. My 4 yr old loved the Arles ST. She almost cries when talking about it.

Barry, I'm not 100% sure what to get. I would love another Arles Blue, but I'll always be comparing them i think.

110 seems logical with two kids but it would have to have more amenities like A/C, full roll cage and more. Also more $$ and harder to find parts/good mechanics and in the short time I've looked into this option, I found past history of these 110s to be sketchy at best.

Most NAS have better history and records but like others have said, it can be inaccurate.

I do like to wheel, so it doesn't have to be "purist" but I like the stock look better I think.
It will be a ST if it's a 90.

May even consider an automatic as it would be easier for my wife to drive (she drives stick but she vertically challenged)

I'll be looking for a reasonably priced rig (I will offer what I think is a good price) hopefully the seller will agree with what I offer

We shall see...
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:23 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

now for my blah blah. Paid 20K for my AA yellow ST with 260K on the clock six years ago. Just like Philip said the P.Os (2) kept all records of what had been done and when including running synthetics throughout the truck and having the engine oil analyzed. Needless to say, I did not fully vacum the cooling system and took the motor out at about 300K. The truck was in excellent shape when I got it but needed the normal stuff. Almost everything has been replaced since then whether it needed to be or not. So go with the higher mileage pampered beast. The truck is my daily driver.
Sorry to hear about the fire but I am glad the family is safe.

Next it may be a fight to come up with the appropriate replacement value for your "low mileage" truck. I think I can clearly makeout the ARB bumper (and warn 9000 winch), lockers, Safari Guard Tire Carrier and 4.6l engine from the pictures you posted, not to mention the Badger II top that also went up.
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90
Fire marshal says its undetermined cause but I saw where it started. It was by the fuse panel inside. I think it was corrosion in the wires.
Gery you mean the fuse panel in the garage, right?
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
That's awful.

Completely agree on smoke detectors everywhere. We had a set up that used bluetooth and battery operated so we could sync them all. Great set up even let you use some labels for them so when they went off you knew which room triggered the setup. It was an awesome retrofit for us.

Glad everyone was ok. That is such a frightening experience I'm sure.

Alex
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:54 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Gery you mean the fuse panel in the garage, right?

Not 100% sure it was the fuse panel, but when I went to the garage when I noticed the fire, the fuse panel was engulfed in flames. The fire definitely originated from that section of the garage.
We had a separate circuit box put in the garage because we had 30 amp hookup for the boat.
When I went around with the fire marshall, we pulled out the panel from the rubble and all the circuits were completely gone. That's why he couldn't exactly determine the cause of the fire. Afterwards I pointed out to the fire marshal the 30 amp plug in the back of the garage and it was toasty as well. I had not used the 30 amp since Irene.

Here is a picture of the back of my house when my neighbor took a picture. By then the hurricane passed and the water receded some.

I can only assume the wiring could of been exposed to salt water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Irene 2011.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	50436  
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:58 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
That's awful.

Completely agree on smoke detectors everywhere. We had a set up that used bluetooth and battery operated so we could sync them all. Great set up even let you use some labels for them so when they went off you knew which room triggered the setup. It was an awesome retrofit for us.

Glad everyone was ok. That is such a frightening experience I'm sure.

Alex
Our contractor will be doing a setup like this throughout our house, including basement and garage. Might even go as far as getting notifications by email if the fire alarm goes off.
Do you mind me asking which brand/company you went with?
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:14 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I don't know what you do for an alarm- if you have one- but our current house has the smokes set up with the alarm so it calls ADT when they go off. Great until you broil a steak inside...

I don't remember the name of the company, they came in pairs and were like $60/pair. I honestly think I got them off Woot.com They did carbon monoxide too so that was nice. At the time we were in an older ranch so the kids bedrooms were in the back of the house and we were in the front. Those didn't have the ability to call/email anyone but I'm sure they are getting fancier now.
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

High mileage well kept is the way to go.

I had a 50 k mile car that I wouldnt drive because every time I did it depreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defender97front.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	50453   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearend.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	50454  

Old April 19th, 2012, 07:53 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Gery - Just learning about this. I had no clue. Thank God all is ok with your family and that the main house was spared. I know a few folks involved with the Amityville FD. Good people, no doubt. The mayor is also a good friend, so please let me know if you need anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat