Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Hi lift jack mount prototype

I have been working on a spare tire mount for the hi lift jack. I have most of the parts ready for fabrication but thought that I would run it by the crowd to see if there is anything else I should be thinking of.

The mounting plate is designed to accommodate pretty much any angle you would want. The square tube sleeve has three different settings to allow for different wheel backspacing and tire combos from about 3 3/4" to 5 1/2". The jack holder end is formed in a manner that holds the handle to eliminate rattling. Stainless bolts and wingnuts hold jack in place. It will be TIG welded and will be powdercoated.

I am wondering what people think about having a padlock on it. I can drill extra holes so that a person could put a lock through the jack and lock it to the mount. It seems you would also then have to put a lock between the square tubes also.

If any one feels like measuring their spacing from the backside of the wheel to the outside edge of the tire to compare notes that would be cool.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2656992271.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	43607   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2024341176.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	43608  

Name:	image-1545864518.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	43609  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
No mods to door frame. My truck came with a 7.5/16 on a steel wheel that doesn't seem to have caused any damage. But now my 255/85 with alloy doesn't fit.

This can be mounted on a tire carrier of the swing away type as well, or anything that has the same bolt pattern.

Haven't really considered any type of bumper mount yet. I was thinking of this as an improvement to the safari gard type spare tyre mount. I am open to suggestions for the bumper mount but it seems that there are many different rear ends out there and I thought this would be more universal.
Old November 12th, 2011, 07:32 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Mabe you have accounted for this in your design, it would be nice to be able to mount the tire and jack together like the safari gard. As far as a lock, I personally dont think you should leave a high-lift on your truck long enough to get stolen.
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Mabe you have accounted for this in your design, it would be nice to be able to mount the tire and jack together like the safari gard. As far as a lock, I personally dont think you should leave a high-lift on your truck long enough to get stolen.
This separates so that you will mount the plate behind the wheel and the square tube comes thorough the center of the wheel to accept the jack holder.
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Looks good! I had envisioned multiple holes in the mounting plate to allow for rotation but the slots work just as well. Email me with any dim's you need and I'll get them this evening.

Good job on the handle clamp!
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I'm going to fabricate five of these this week. I should be able to get the finished price within a week or so.

Whenever the safari gard type mounts come up for sale they get grabbed up pretty quickly so hopefully people are interested in this idea. I know there is some difference in opinion about what is the best way to mount a hi lift in the rear. I have tried to develop a good solution for those who want to mount their jack in the spare tire location.

Thanks to James Pierce for his input and Gustavo for the sample.
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Jeff - from the pics - it looks great!

Are you lazer/water jet cutting the plate? Do you have a couple of extra ones you would be interested in selling by themselves?

One add-on I could see that might be of interest to you is selling the plate by itself for people that are looking to run spare tire bike racks. Thule and Yakima plates do not work with the D90 rear tire carrier but using your plate as an adaptor doesn't look like it would be too tough. Or even one step further making a Yakima or Thule compatible plates with the square tube already welded on.
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Thanks!

This run is laser cut. In the future I might have then water jet by my friend if he has time.

I have considered the possibility that this could be a modular system that would have different attachments. I'm not sure what the specs are for the Yakima and Thule mounts but they could certainly be incorporated here. The best thing for that might be an adapter for my current square tube to go into the bike rack system.

I suppose I could just sell the plates alone as well.

We'll see what how much interest there is for this and I'll be open to suggestions throughout the process

Thanks
Jeff
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Jeff,

I came up with this Crazy idea of mounting my Mantec Bridging / Sand ladders in lieu of the hi lift.

What are the odds of getting one of those mounts but instead of the hi lift mount , just a plain 24" x 10" solid plate ( the 24" will be top to bottom ) ?
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Wing nuts? Really? Might wanna rethink that. Why not pins and clips or a linch pin? That way you can detach the jack with mittens/gloves and not worry about your nuts falling off. The nuts on the jack mount, that is. Won't fall into the mud or snow either if the clips are attached with a small bit of ball link chain.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

nice job may be in for one if the price is right
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Jeff,

I came up with this Crazy idea of mounting my Mantec Bridging / Sand ladders in lieu of the hi lift.

What are the odds of getting one of those mounts but instead of the hi lift mount , just a plain 24" x 10" solid plate ( the 24" will be top to bottom ) ?
I can look into it. Would there need to be a specific bolt pattern for those to mount?

------ Follow up post added November 17th, 2011 10:59 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea
Wing nuts? Really? Might wanna rethink that. Why not pins and clips or a linch pin? That way you can detach the jack with mittens/gloves and not worry about your nuts falling off. The nuts on the jack mount, that is. Won't fall into the mud or snow either if the clips are attached with a small bit of ball link chain.
Well the safari gard sample had wing nuts and I was imitating that. I could see where having a retainer on fasteners would be a plus. I just can't see how a linch pin or pins and clips would keep everything snug and free from rattling. If you can direct me to a link for some type of fastener that could do that then I am all ears. At the least I could see a retainer attached to the outer plate to keep it around.

Thanks for the input

Jeff
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Jeff, FYI:

Another option on the market, with a different locking option.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...ACKET-p37.html
Old November 26th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Jeff no pattern or bolts as I will mount my Sand Ladder Mounts

Actually the idea would be leaving the receiver part identical and the male part will have the plate instead of the Hi-lift mount

But no rush on that at all, the more I think about it , the craziest it sounds

( yeap I have little voices inside my head *LOL* )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I can look into it. Would there need to be a specific bolt pattern for those to mount?

------ Follow up post added November 17th, 2011 10:59 PM ------

Well the safari gard sample had wing nuts and I was imitating that. I could see where having a retainer on fasteners would be a plus. I just can't see how a linch pin or pins and clips would keep everything snug and free from rattling. If you can direct me to a link for some type of fastener that could do that then I am all ears. At the least I could see a retainer attached to the outer plate to keep it around.

Thanks for the input

Jeff
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
I just can't see how a linch pin or pins and clips would keep everything snug and free from rattling.
I'm sure it would rattle. Cripes that's the best way to be sure it hasn't fallen off the truck, if it's still making noise.
While there isn't exactly a web site, I can turn your attention to the good old Land Rover anti-luce tailgate pin which has a captive fastener. As they say on TV, set it, and forget it!
A scaled down version perhaps?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MUC8748-ANTILUCE-COTTER.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	44126  

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation