Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 24th, 2015, 11:57 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
The Mig 25 was HUGE! You forgot the 90 car fuel train on a siding by they runway. A bud of mine, "Larry the Pickle" went mano a mano with one in an F14 off Libya during the line of death dance. He could stay on his six all the time, the engines where so big you could park the nose of the F14 in the nozzle. But when it got too much for the Mig, he punched it and just walked away from the F14, bad ass fast, straight line. It was designed to intercept and shoot down the XB-70, which we only built 2 of. Reaganesque fake out of the Russians in the 60's.
That's awesome! Sounds like he also avoided the pickle! ;-) and Tomcats weren't slow either, well when swept. Haven't thought about the xb-70 in a while. Only two, huh? I loved the sst craze! Some really pretty planes came out of it. Concorde and Rockwell B2 most successfully. Boeing had a gorgeous sst that never happened and the ill-fated Russian TU-144 looked awesome!!! Canards and variable geometry? What's not to love? Oh, yeah....total structural failure. But beautiful sitting on the ramp!

And we got the Russians to build how many 25's? Obviously too many and nearly obsolete on arrival ;-) We used to know how to bankrupt our enemies, now we only know how to bankrupt ourselves! ;-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Yeah baddest one I ever witnessed close up was the Backfire Bomber, holy cow!
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
They built almost 1200 of them. Their fighters have even less range than ours, none go very far on burner. They built a lot due to short airframe life spans. Most Russian aircraft have short lifespans, like Mig 19's, 900 hours, Yak 40, 2000 hours. The AN-32's I had where retired at 4000 hours. The engines had 1000 hours to hot section replacement and went to the junkyard at 2000 hours. Average commercial airline engine goes well over 20,000. I have flown PT-6-27's with 27,000 hours on them.

The Russians use low quality alloys with almost no corrosion resistance. Extrusions are susceptible to inter granular corrosion, as where the very thick wing skins they used. Ergo why they retire them at a short lifespan.

Larry the Pickle was also an LSO, (landing signals officer) the handle they controlled the lights on the OLS was called the pickle, when they pickled you, the green and red lights flash and you wave off. You also used the pickle to signal a cut, which was pull the engine to idle, only on piston carrier ops.

This was the Fokker 614 with the engines on top of the wing. They just din't work very well and they sold only a handful:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2015, 01:07 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
900/2000/4000 hours??? That's just nuts! Hard to even justify the cost of building.

Never knew about that little Fokker! ;-) Thinking out of the box, just 40 years too early.

The pickle? No pickle here ;-)

http://youtu.be/FWFBZw_u1vw

Or here! ;-) Allowing flight line camera phones were a bad idea!;-)

http://youtu.be/tejqAjCenAg
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
The flight deck handlers had some unique hand gestures. My favorite was left hand parallel to the ground, insert the right fist into the outstretched left hand and pull down sharply on the right hand. Means: "get your head out of your ass." I saw that a lot.
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:18 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
The flight deck handlers had some unique hand gestures. My favorite was left hand parallel to the ground, insert the right fist into the outstretched left hand and pull down sharply on the right hand. Means: "get your head out of your ass." I saw that a lot.
Hahahaha! BOMN "beer out my nose!" Good stuff!!! ;-)
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:27 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
I thought all naval aviators rotated as LSO's in some capacity.

The Soviets got used to building with the low grade material because of their stupid 5 year plans for the economy. It never allowed them to manufacture for quality.

I'm amazed at the guys who keep the Russian warbirds flying these days. There are a few local MiG's that are kept in flying condition, including a MiG-29.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:40 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I'm amazed at the guys who keep the Russian warbirds flying these days. There are a few local MiG's that are kept in flying condition, including a MiG-29.
Hey, speaking of warbirds. Do you ever make it down south on I-5? Do you know what's sitting at Albany muni? I always see it and never long enough to make it as I'm doing 70 and always forget it's there. But it jumps out of the corner of my eye just in time.
Old April 25th, 2015, 09:14 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Actually there are several Starships still flying. There's one based at KADS - Addison I see all the time. There was a group of owners that fought Beech and refused to return the planes. They prevailed. I forget the guys name, but he bought up three or 4 as donor planes.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old April 25th, 2015, 09:28 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
There is a guy who flies a Piaggio into PDX once a week or so, you can hear it coming from a long way off, and no mistaking the sound. The Starships do sound a bit like them, but not as funky.

I'm unsure if I've ever actually seen a MiG-25. It was either that or a 31. Either way, they are huge. They were very, very fast, but had limited range as well, if I remember right.
Sheila Johnson (of BET) has a Piaggio and GIV based at JYO, a few miles north of me. Man that Piaggio is loud. Hard to think of a louder airplane in the pattern.
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:37 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Thought it was appropriate to share a couple pics from a couple years ago flying the slot with the Blues in the RIO seat. 7.6Gs, no GLOC or puking. And No G Suit either!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1826150447.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	119169   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-552320080.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	119170  

Old April 25th, 2015, 10:52 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
Thought it was appropriate to share a couple pics from a couple years ago flying the slot with the Blues in the RIO seat. 7.6Gs, no GLOC or puking. And No G Suit either!
Holy crap! I've never known anyone who actually did that. What a rush that must've been. I think this is on 99% of everyone's bucket list :-)
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:47 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Holy crap! I've never known anyone who actually did that. What a rush that must've been. I think this is on 99% of everyone's bucket list :-)
Agree, it may be the only thing I check off that list, but it has a HUGE check mark next to it! Also checked off flying supersonic in the same flight about 25 miles off the coast of Maine. Good times.
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:48 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Agree, it may be the only thing I check off that list, but it has a HUGE check mark next to it! Also checked off flying supersonic in the same flight about 25 miles off the coast of Maine. Good times.
Very cool! You're the fastest man I know. :-) Only checkmark? Doubt it. You should have a look at that list again!
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:05 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
When I was in college, I worked for the school news as a photo journalist. I applied for the opportunity to go up with the USAF Thunderbirds and was beat out by the TV crew.
I did have shots at other things. U.S. Army Golden Knights.
Also a KC-135 mission. Both were awesome.
B-25 Mitchell in a storm. That was turbulent. Lol
But it is hard to beat a flight in "Fifi". I think that was the high of my flying. For those who don't know Fifi, she is very old but was fast in her day.
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
You where a lucky guy. They don't give that many rides to people. He must have really liked you. When you are slick, like they are (no drop tanks) you have very little fuel. Going supersonic can burn off your fuel load in a matter of a couple of minutes. I did some test flying of TF-18's which have an even smaller fuel tank (rear seat halves the size of the fuselage tank). We had 43 minutes of fuel for normal flight when slick. We had to do a supersonic run each flight on the back side of San Clemente Island (to check the ability to go transsonic, kind of a problem area). When we popped into burner and accelerated, the fuel totalizer, which was like an odometer with turning numbered drums, was spinning so fast you couldn't read the first two digits. It was point the nose at North Island, you where what we called Bingo Fuel, minimum. If you spread fuel evenly in an acre field and set it on fire, you can burn it faster in afterburner.

Becoming an LSO is first off a personal choice and second, you have to be accepted. They spend a lot of money on cross training LSO's. You get to train in at least one dissimilar aircraft. You usually only wave what you can fly. Each squadron usually has one, they rotate on the platform. There can be three or four guys there, handing off the pickle to the required one. Now with only a few aircraft, F-18's in various configurations and Hawkeyes along with Helos, not a mix such as we used to fly. They just retired the last squadron of EA-6B's. We had F-14's, A7's, S3's, E2's, A6's and I had an EA-3B on one cruise as well. It was nicknamed the "Hood Ornament", as they parked it on the bow between ops, since it never flew. Looked like a Packard ornament from the air, it was old, really old, but fast.

Beech didn't really sell them, they leased them on some kind of weird contract. They had most of them parked in Maranna Airpark for the longest (looked funny from the air). There is one guy trying to keep some kind of parts flow up for his, but not working out to well. Aircraft eat parts, regularly. My own had an oil leak that took forever to chase down, ended up being the oil pressure switch for the Hobbs Meter. It was right next to the seam of the cowling and the oil was going straight out and down the side of the aircraft. Before that the dimwit that did some engine work for me put the wrong gasket on the oil cooler adaptor plate, left two studs with no gasket. Only would leak when the engine got really warm and at altitude. The only way I found that was to spray the entire engine with Right Guard, which has Aluminum Chlorhydrate (Talcum Powder). Then I could see the track of the oil leak. But without parts support, I would have to make my own parts. Which is legal, an aircraft owner can manufacturer his own parts as long as they meet the same spec as the original.
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:47 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Very cool! You're the fastest man I know. :-) Only checkmark? Doubt it. You should have a look at that list again!
Well ok. A huge ass check mark.

Flying in the slot in formation as compared to my training mission the day prior was completely nerve wracking. For training we were solo, but when you see a wingtip 18" away from the canopy on either side of you, inverted and pulling high Gs. Don't think I ever got used to it. Helluva time.
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:58 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Somebody is going to shoot their watch off.

Old April 25th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
As a flight surgeon once said: A pilot needs to cash a check, use your phone and has a big watch and a little dick. I know, seen enough of them.
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:15 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
As a flight surgeon once said: A pilot needs to cash a check, use your phone and has a big watch and a little dick. I know, seen enough of them.
Hahaha. And my favorite:

How do you know when your talking to a fighter pilot? He'll tell you! ;-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat