Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Hey HAM radio guys

Does anyone know if the Yaesu FT-7800 can be modded to talk on air frequencies? I need a radio in my truck that can talk on Air frequencies (for heli use) and frequencies that I could use on the trail. I did a google search and it looked like it could be done, but wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure. TIA

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:36 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

I don't believe it can do what you want. Most VHF/UHF ham radios can't transmit AM that is required for Aircraft use.
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I am new to HAM and cant personally answer your question but I would bet it can be done. I have a few friends that are very HAM savvy and they both have done things to their HT ratios to expand the capabilities. I will ask around and try and get answer for you. BTW I just installed a FT-7800R in my truck last week. I like it but the controls are not very intuitive. I have a Yaesu VX170 hand held and I can figure out many of the features without going to the manual. The 7800 is not as simple, for example it takes many steps to set a PL on the 7800 and only 2 steps on the 170. Aside from that it's a great radio especially since I got it for free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:38 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I would really appreciate it. I don't mind which radio it is, as long as it will perform the functions I described earlier.

97 D90 SW
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Going by the published stats, it can recieve the air bands, but not transmit on them. Aircraft bands are in the 120's-130's mhz, and the lowest the yaesu can do is 144mhz for transmitting. I doubt you're going to find any amateur rigs that do so, you may need to go with a dedicated aircraft transciever if you need to transmit on them. Also, the amateur liscenses don't cover the aircraft bands either, so you need to get a different liscense for that as well and I really don't know which one you would need for that situation.

Now, if it can be modified to do that or not..... you got me, i havnen't got a clue. But not out of the box, thats for sure.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Does this have anything to do with MARS-CAP frequencies? If so there are several websites that list the steps for this modification.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I have got to get off my ass and go take the test. Been practicing on HamTestOnline for a while now.

/
/
/
/
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:13 PM
sean
sean dreher

you will need something with a am transmitter, i have not seen any mobiles with one, they just have the am receiver. if any could i would think the kenwood ts2000 would be the one (i only see am receiver listed but some hf channels still use am).
Mars cap just expands the transmition to the far edges of the range and reguires a license just for the mod, plus it would be illegal to use a non type cast radio if it is possible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
radio