Hey Coloradoans, anybody know "Forbes Park"? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 5th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hey Coloradoans, anybody know "Forbes Park"?

I'm eyeballing a few pieces of property there, anybody familiar with that place at all? Near Ft. Garland and Walsenberg.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hi Hans,

I'm no expert on the area although I've been through there a number of times. Forbes Park, I believe, is kind of a "chunk" knocked off of the Forbes Trinchera Ranch. You know, Malcomb Forbes bling, bling$$$. It's a huge ranch that stretches basically from the south side of hiway 160 on the west side of La Veta pass-- to the New Mexico border. I think the area known as Forbes Park is the area you can see from hiway 160 on the south side maybe 5-10 miles east of Ft Garland. Alot of it is sagebrush, pinyon, and dirt -pretty darn dry... Not that country like that is necessarily unatractive, but it's not what people often think of as Colorado mountain country. As you go south into Forbes Park the elevation increases so perhaps over the hill from what you can see from the hiway it may be turning into something more like ponderosa pine country, I doubt there is anywhere in the Park where you would be getting into Fir. Higher country is very near by -the Sangre de Cristos are just to the north of you (as well as the sand dunes). I think there are other guys who post here who could tell you about some serious wheelin' in that area (most of my experience around there has been on foot).

I can ramble on endlessly about absolutely nothing so I'll stop here. However, if you are thinking of making a trip out here to check it out and want someone to run you down there....

Rod
Old March 5th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, that's the issue I'm having.... locating exactly where it is. I can figure out the general area, but none of the "roads" show up on any maps that I've found. The plot I am eyeballing is mostly wooded, looks like mostly scrub pine as we call it around here. But what I really would like to figure out is where it is on a map. Then I can start looking at things like topographic maps, satellite photos and such, and make a better decision.

If "somebody" could give me driving directions to the entrance, I can figure out quite a lot from that point :-)

The advertisements sure look nice, but anything can be made to look pretty in a photo. Thats why I figured try to find somebody with more realistic experience.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I'm pretty sure I saw the sign for the main entrance to Forbes Park at the point where the d&rg railroad breaks off from hiway 160 at wagon creek. If you go on terraserver or whatever, find Ft Garland, pan northeast from there until you see the r.r. branch off from the hiway. Now look south. That's pretty much it. If 1x2 degree series map 37105 is available it should show the correct area, on the 7.5 minute quadrangle map named Trinchera Ranch, the northern part. The entrance itself should be on the bottom edge of 7.5 minute map named Russell.

In their literature did they give you any clues?

I just took a look at the Forbes Ranch web page, that's the place. They also have a pretty good map with street/road names. If you are still looking for topos you might also need McCarty Park and/or La Veta Pass to have coverage of the entire place, it lies more west to east than I thought it would.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
body, colorado