Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 13th, 2015, 08:16 AM
UserName
Andy
Janey

Registry
Herbert Zipkins Land Rover

I posted my first Misc Chit Chat thread about a "Barn Find" a couple days ago - this is one is about a Warehouse Find. However this Rover was not for sale - it has been in the same family since it came off the production line over 55 years ago.

I was buying some parts from a guy a few months ago when I walked by the Rover below in his storage warehouse. I could tell I was in the presence of greatness so I started snapping photos. I asked the guy selling the parts what the story was since it was obvious there must be a story and he said "my Dad bought it in 1959 and drove it around Africa a few times over a number of years, then shipped it back here, it still runs". He, the son, is a member of this forum so I hope he does not mind me telling this story.

Anyway, I was supposed to be at work and was 3 hours from the office covered in dirt, oil and blood from loading up all the used parts. So I had to run and sort of forgot about what I had seen. Luckily I stumbled on the photos again the other day for a reminder.

A quick internet search seems to indicate that Herbert Zipkin did a number of photo safaris in Africa in the late 50's and 60's and might have been influential in starting Land Rover Clubs in North America. In any event it is really cool that this Rover has been owned by the same family for so long and I am glad I stumbled upon it. Lots of great info and historic photos about it on Google
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zipkin.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	129643  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2015, 08:36 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Eric is one cool dude. Ask him about Zippy-tow

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 13th, 2015, 09:34 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I met Herbert Zipkin years ago and actually road in his 109 pictured in poat 1.
Think it was at Greek Peak.
He may have also attended a MAR, but after so many years the events sort of run together.
Herbert was a fun guy who didn't mind sharing his Rover experiences.
As I recall he had some custom brackets on the rear quarter panels to hold his front door tops when not in use.
Also remember buying some parts from him and seem to recall he had a part time parts business.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 13th, 2015, 09:55 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Spent a weekend with the truck and Eric about a month ago. The turret port through the roof is really cool as well. Pics are all on my SLR though.
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:10 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Yeah I was there at the same location Josh was. Was pretty cool to see in the flesh. The mountings for the door tops were simple, stout and pretty cool.
Old September 13th, 2015, 02:13 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yes, it was Greek Peak

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:04 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Herb and Eric were pretty regular at events in the '90s. These pix were at the Owl's Head event when East Coast Rover was sponsoring. Top one is the QE1 playing in the water with Herb in the background; the second at the Owl's Head museum.

They were very gracious gents - my fondest memory being an overnight with Charlie Haigh at their house in NY. We were traveling by 110 high-cap 200Tdi to the 1996 or 1997 ROAV. Actually, it may have been later than that - when was the Gods Must Be Crazy drive-in? Was that for the 50th?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maine.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	129926  
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:35 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Yeah I was there at the same location Josh was. Was pretty cool to see in the flesh. The mountings for the door tops were simple, stout and pretty cool.
I drove a LHD Military Carawagon to Greek Peak and Terri Ann Wakeman camped next to us with her dog, a wolf hound if I remember right.
Great event.
Got to know Bob and Jodi Raffensperger there along with Seth and Becka.
Durk and Carhy Tyson were there with the Grices, McKaigs and I think Diesel Bob.
Bobeck, Loftus, Wayne Leidy, Wiley Browning, and the rest of the gang...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
land rover