Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:29 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Help with wooded lot right of way

I was left a 7.5 acre wooded lot in upstate NY. I have a deed and it states that the lot has a right of way. In the 80's lots below me on the hill where sold off. My lot and the lower lots where all part of a OLD farm. My right of way went through the back of all of the lower lots. When they where sold off some one built on the right of way.
I am really not sure how to handle it. Anybody got any ideas as I want to sell but don't have the cash to get a lawyer involved over a lot that at the most is worth $15000. On the other hand I don't want to let it go for nothing. I have been offered $6000 but feel that is too low. Any ideas?
Thanks
Abe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:35 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Bulldozer and a D-90 meetup ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would love to. I just don't know how to move foreword and get the most return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:42 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

I would gather my paper work, present it to the moron who built on it first. If no action is taken...make a tunnel through it........or you could hire goose for a case of beer.
All kidding aside, maybe get the county involved. There was an issue on an estate farm that was sold here in Va. Same stuff happened. County stepped in and the garage was demolished.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Tompkins county hasn't been helpful at all as I live in Fl. and have to do everything by phone.
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Offer it to the moron who built on it - tell him what you want - then advise if you don't get what you want the corrective action is going to force him to remove whatever he built on it.

Just ket him think/know/lie that you have contacted a lawyer, spoken tot he county etc etc and it is all quite clear.
Old February 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

well...as mentioned before...we could all meet up and do this.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mikes fire.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	66975  
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
The title policy for the lots below should have spelled out the right of way to protect your lot. You may have a case against the title company if it was not included. Also as mentioned above get the county involved as they gave the permits to build on the lots below you. If permits are even required in that area.
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
I was left a 7.5 acre wooded lot in upstate NY. I have a deed and it states that the lot has a right of way. In the 80's lots below me on the hill where sold off. My lot and the lower lots where all part of a OLD farm. My right of way went through the back of all of the lower lots. When they where sold off some one built on the right of way.
I am really not sure how to handle it. Anybody got any ideas as I want to sell but don't have the cash to get a lawyer involved over a lot that at the most is worth $15000. On the other hand I don't want to let it go for nothing. I have been offered $6000 but feel that is too low. Any ideas?
Thanks
Abe
I'm not a "dirt lawyer" (what litigators and corporate attorneys call RE attorneys) but I do run across easements often in my field as a commercial appraiser.

The short answer to everything is "it depends" and there is nothing worse than free legal advice so take this for what it's worth.

First you should have a short title exam, or "run down" to see if the easement that apparently benefitted your property was properly spelled out and in perpetuity (I have seen easements with a limited time frame). Then have the title examiner give you his/her opinion. That may save you some money over an attorney.

Assuming that the conclusion is that you still have rights to the easement and they developed an improvement (house, garage etc) over it, maybe they could simply agree to move the easement to a different part of the lot so they didn't have to raze any improvements? If that proves to be not feasible, then you need to figu out what the value of you land is worth assuming it DOES have access and try to have the lower lot owners compensate you for that amount because now your land is worthless.

The more complicated it gets, the more you need an attorney. I would assume because the land is not worth a great deal of money up there that minimal attention has been paid to "what ifs" and probably less attention was paid to zoning codes and engineering before anything was built.

Bottom line is you need to know what you have before you start talking lawsuits etc. and that entails a thorough review of not only your deed, but the lower lots deeds (chain of title).
Most likely, somebody overlooked/screwed up and that's where title insurance comes in handy if you're the lower lot owners. However, like I said, with lot values in the $15-$30k range I bet all of these were cash purchases with no financing and therefore no one was required to get a survey, title exam or title insurance.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Research adverse possession in your jurisdiction.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Abe,
Listen to Jackie - great synopsis. Your mind set needs to be $15,000 is how many hours of work for you. Spend a few hours on line in the county systems, and identify what can be ordered so you have paperwork. Well worth $15k unless you are LA Neil (a joke).

Once you have that - decide what you want to do, keep it / sell it/ etc. DO NOT DISCUSS THAT ON THIS FORUM BUT KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. You value the lot at $15,000 and will not accept $6,000 so parameters have already been set.
Once you have some paperwork to reference, time to negotiate. Be pragmatic, cautious, and evaluate every discussion. First off in writing contact the other party and state that you are aware they have infringed on your property without permission (mentally treat the right of way as yours). You are trying to identify what has happened - ask for the title information from the other lot owner. Also at this time discuss it with the county office but approach it differently - keep it simple and state "My neighbor has built on my land without my permission and I can no longer access my property- what do I do?" Let them ask the clarifying questions.

Good luck
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:32 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
To all that replied thank you. Thanks D90.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Tell the neighbors below you of your intention to start a hog farming operation and you are apologising in advance ('cause you are a good neighbor and all) for any run off, smells or sounds of mating. Oh yea my hogs LOVE opera music during the day and rap music at night. A little Fiddy cent helps the mating process see. You get the idea, then tell them it would take 30k to relocate to the next county over - settle for 15k. Problem solved.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:54 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
OMG. I have an aquaintance here in Denver that did exactly that. He owned a trucking company and neighborhood gentrified around him. The neighbors offered him a lowball buyout. He removed the trucks and released the hogs. He had his asking price in less than a month. True story.....
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thank you to all that replied to the thread and to all that sent a pm. Who knows, we might just start farming hogs.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

host a Land Rover event up there! I'm sure your neighbors will love it.

Tompkins county is right next to where I grew up. Nice place upstate. I can ask around and see if anyone wants to buy it.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Thank you to all that replied to the thread and to all that sent a pm. Who knows, we might just start farming hogs.
Hey Abe,

I'll buy some Bacon.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
@ one point my partner and I owned a title company in Maryland. The advice above to pay for a title abstract is a good one- usually only $150 or so. Building on a deeded right of way is a big problem. In many of the right of ways that I have read the owners are to split maint costs etc. Did the county issue a building permit for the structure built on the right of way ? If not you have grounds to have the structure demolished or @ least force the purchase of your lot @ your price.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht