Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Help with LR3 Purchase?

Anyone here live in Utah or know anything about this LR3? Looking to trade in my daily driver. Seems too good to be true. Thanks in advance

Link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
$20,000 is really not out of line for a 5 year old LR3 with almost 100k on the clock.

As long as it has been maintained, it should be OK.

I have an 05 LR3 HSE that has 140,000 on the clock with a lot of off-road time and it's still humming along. Like most rovers, if you stay on top of the maintenance they are good trucks.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

With all the accessories that seems pretty legit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:46 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I can do without some of the accessories but something is nagging in the back of my head. Seems too good to be true. Anyone have a carfax or autocheck? I tried calling that dealership but the number is disconnected. Redflag?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:49 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
The dealer's number changed... now it's (801) 855-5400.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:54 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
The dealer's number changed... now it's (801) 855-5400.
Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow. How did you find that #? I did a search and it still listed the same number as in the ad.

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

If you can verify that the suspension bushings have been addressed that would be awesome as well. If they have been done then you should be good for awhile. If not the replacing them in the near future is probably in the cards.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:56 AM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
i think thats a great deal. saw that today and nearly kicked myself.

but here it goes on the things to be prepared for at some point

control arms/bushings replacement
tie rod bushings replacement
front brakes every 30k
transmission service (do it right, it's about 800)
diff service
rear diff seal replacement
air compressor replacement
tires and alignment more often than others
maf and thermostat replacement
update software
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks for the input everyone. I was hoping someone can run a carfax or live close enough to check it out for me. I was burned the last time when I bought my RRC and the owner used older pics of the truck.

Old January 20th, 2013, 08:58 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
What I've done before is have an independent Land Rover shop (non dealer) do a pre purchase inspection. I give them a list of things I absolutely want them to address and ask them what else they suggest they look at. Maybe someone from the area can give you a recommendation of a solid shop you can use. This worked well for me a few times. GLWTP.

Clay

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Most of the problems listed are very common, but not a big deal to fix. I'd be more concerned about diff noises and also if someone replaced the rear brakes without properly adjusting them. If they aren't properly adjusted the brake shoes will fall apart and sometimes melt the parking brake actuator cables.

Keep in mind the 105k service is a big one.
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
EXACTLY what Clay said...you contact the owner have the PPI done at a dealer - call the dealer and tell them you want it GONE OVER - tell them you are an enthusiast and know all the nigly issues, pay them the $250-300 for peace of mind.

I bought truck in Texas and had the exact same reservations....everything on it was caught down to a inop rear window switch on the driver door...
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
One other thing...dont get suckered by paying too much for the "bling" off road snorkel etc...you are not going to drive this truck through a 3ft deep mud/water hole - it will fry electronics.

There are MANY good LR3's for sale $4K less than that one.

Just a thought.
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well, my LR3 has been in many 3 ft deep crossings... none the worse for wear.

But I agree to not get distracted by the bling too much.

Also, as for the major service, if you are even moderately handy with tools you can do it all yourself if you like. I have a bunch of "How Tos" over on LRR.
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:11 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
One other thing...dont get suckered by paying too much for the "bling" off road snorkel etc...you are not going to drive this truck through a 3ft deep mud/water hole - it will fry electronics.

There are MANY good LR3's for sale $4K less than that one.

Just a thought.
Yeah I am with you on that. I really dont want or need the accessories. I just emailed him to see if I can set up an independent inspection. We will see what happens. I did a little background check on his company: Gold Rush Expedition. Pretty interesting.

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
FWIW, you can probably sell some of the accessories & get $ back if you don't need them.

That spare carrier will get in the way of the 3rd row seating, but I think there are swing-away carriers out there.

Have a LR dealership run the VIN & pull up its service history. Then compare that to the CarFax.

If you drive mostly on the road, upgrade to a set of 19" HSE rims. Handles much better.

Diff failure was caused by the lining on the diff coming off & working its way into the bearings. Should have been fixed by now.

Low ball them with a cash offer!
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
Funny. i drove mine thru a number of 3ft deep mud/water holes yesterday. did just fine.
Old January 20th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
driving through deep water?? keep doing it...
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:11 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So just what does this mean exactly? Why are there so many liens and title corrections? He says he has a clear title. How can I verify that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lien.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	64943

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
So just what does this mean exactly? Why are there so many liens and title corrections? He says he has a clear title. How can I verify that?

Attachment 64943
Out west or at least AZ from my experience, every time you drive down the road you see a sign that says "TITLE LOANS", and when i ran the auto check on my 99 4Runner i just bought there, up until may i saw loans all over that report.

My guess is the owner would get small loans against the car and pay them back, and then get more loans, and every time he takes one out it shows up on the report.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3