Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
help with a 1995 RRC LWB in San Diego

Hello All,
I have been considering rebuilding my 1995 SWB but decided to find out what else was out there before I started putting money into it. I found a nice Avalon Blue 1995 LWB that looks fantastic in San Diego. Listed for sale buy a company called British Motors. I am very interested in buying this truck but wanted to know if any of you on the board knew of the company, or even better, have seen this truck? It is currently on ebay at the following link. I have an agreed on price but I have not send a deposit yet as I wanted to do a little research first.

Land Rover Range Rover LWB | eBay

I would also be interested in any LWB or SWBs out there if you have some for sale.
Thanks in advance,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 12:19 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

I can't get on eBay from my work computer.... but if it's the British Motors in Carlsbad I've heard good things about them. Recommended by a few friends in the area, just pretty pricey. If it is them, it's only a 10 minute drive from my house, I could go take a look
Old January 25th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
That would be a huge help to me. I am not sure it is them though as I can't seem to find much info about the company. Let me see if I can dig up an address. I will probably have to make up my mind tonight / tomorrow - I hate having to make decisions that fast but also recognize in the realm of nice RRCs, that is the way it goes.

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2016 11:49 AM ------

found address:
British Motors
7955 Arjons Drive
San Diego, CA 92126
858-733-1030
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 01:08 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Yea that's not the place that I'm familiar with. Further down south from me. Normally it would be a nice drive but I'm pretty sure that I blew the head gasket on my 110 this morning so I'll be stranded for a bit.
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Thats ok - thanks for the offer. Sorry to hear about the head gasket.

What do folks prefer? LWB or SWB models? I am curious as I have only owned SWBs.
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:51 AM
badvibes
Jeff
1991 RRC

Registry
This looks interesting. I haven't seen the truck nor do I have any involvement with the seller.

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5398860750.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00404_gJZ5hC3koSx_600x450[1].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	140497  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:23 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I would want answers to these questions if I were considering the ebay truck....
Is the original air suspension intact and working properly?
The ad states the engine has been overhauled. Does that mean it has new internals like pistons bearings and cam?
Do the heated seats work? Are all the interior panels and parts intact? Any broken glass particularly the windshield?
If the answer to any of those questions is no then be super cautious. And it may be a special color combo but not really and it adds nothing.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:09 AM
ntan
N
Range Rover

I don't think the heated seats not working is something you need to be super cautious about... they pretty much never work.

Given the ride height, it would seem it's been converted to springs. Would agree that Bill's questions should be asked... there's not enough info in the ad.
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:30 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Is that a pencil holding up the shifter?
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I would want answers to these questions if I were considering the ebay truck....
Is the original air suspension intact and working properly?
The ad states the engine has been overhauled. Does that mean it has new internals like pistons bearings and cam?
Do the heated seats work? Are all the interior panels and parts intact? Any broken glass particularly the windshield?
If the answer to any of those questions is no then be super cautious. And it may be a special color combo but not really and it adds nothing.
I have spoken with the seller and received invoices for engine work. Compression was tested and then all gaskets and seals replaced. Cruise works, on the heated seats are not functioning. I am waiting for confirmation but other than the thin plastic trim next to the windshield all other plastic trim is still in good shape. Guarantees no rust and all other functions work. The suspension has been converted to springs.

I am happy to talk to any forum member that has a 95 classic in this condition as I am not sure I want to try to rebuild my existing. I am interested in both LWB and SWB models. My experience has been that when looking at them most feedback shared is that the price is too high, however, I have yet to find someone with a good condition truck willing to take less….

------ Follow up post added January 26th, 2016 11:34 AM ------

Is there anyone in the San Diego market that would be willing to take a look at the truck? or is familiar with the seller or the truck itself? Pictures make it look very solid.
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:40 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I would deduct points for the EAS conversion. An overhaul is not just replacing gaskets, so the engine has not been renewed internally it would seem.

The one in Santa Fe looks awfully good.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:00 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I would deduct points for the EAS conversion. An overhaul is not just replacing gaskets, so the engine has not been renewed internally it would seem.

The one in Santa Fe looks awfully good.
That one in Vancouver w/ Washington tags looked awfully good and a third the miles. The first to respond, I was hoping to land it.
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
here is the work that was done to the engine and a few others. In addition to this work it was repainted. I have no idea what a "revenuer" is though it appears expensive. Headliner?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5756.JPG.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	140528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5757.JPG.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	140529  

Name:	IMG_5758.JPG.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	140530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5759.JPG.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	140531  

Old January 26th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
I just got a response that the engine block was not replaced, that is a category of engine work that prints on the invoice. It was mainly the compression check and gasket / sealing work.
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:40 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Never heard of British Motors here in San Diego. The location is in a very industrial park type section of the city.

I am headed to Portland for work for the rest of the week, if come next week you were still interested I could go over there and check it out for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM
belgian
Maxim
1995 RRC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentflyfish View Post
here is the work that was done to the engine and a few others. In addition to this work it was repainted. I have no idea what a "revenuer" is though it appears expensive. Headliner?

The reveener is for all the wooden trim... which is indeed expensive.
7 pieces should be for all 4 door panels, 1 transmission trim, 1 heating control, and then 1 passenger dash panel.

In the pictures it does look like the piece on the cup holder push out wasn't included. And it slightly looks damaged?
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:27 PM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
Brent...what's the issue with your SWB?? Rusted badly I have to assume? Otherwise, everything is replaceable or repairable. Even a blown engine isn't a barrier as long as you have a solid frame and body. Not sure what you're experiencing with yours though.

------ Follow up post added January 26th, 2016 03:31 PM ------

and are you only sold on '95 year? There was a nice (from pics and talking with the guy) '93 in MD recently, EAS intact, MARS system, winch, had some rust in floor pan but seemed repaired. Also, dource mbr here 1995 White RRC For Sale: SWB - Defender Source selling a 95 SWB, rusted floor pan but the rest seemed sorted.
many others that have sold
Instagram: @SecondDailyClassics
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Thanks all. First of all, I can't believe I didn't deduce that reveneer was re-veneering the wood. Feeling rather foolish on that one. As for what is wrong with mine…time. To get it up to be a daily driver will take a lot of time which is the one thing I don't have. As for cost, I antiquate that engine work, trim replacement, refinishing the seats, fixing the blocked heater vent door (which requires the dash to come down) and rust repair and paint will cost me north of $10K while I can get the one in CA for around 15. AS for rust, it is in the expected spots though the front floor boards do seem to be minor / surface rust only. Wheel well in the back has some poking though so not sure the extent of it. I do think the truck is probably worth about $6K or so as is but it makes me stop and wonder what else is out there before I start the work.
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:54 PM
signalMTB
Rusty
'97 NAS D90 / '94 RRC / '05 L322

Registry
@brent, sure, I hear you and just went through that myself. I would have kept the Aspen Silver if not for the rust. Engine work was probably $2k but even after all that, I'd still have to deal with the rust. So I bagged it and went for a nice rust free '94. If yours is rusted and needs engine and interior work, don't be shocked if no one pounces on it for $6k...if you're patient maybe, but I doubt it would go quickly. Hopefully not and you get lucky, just be prepared as most in the market are in the same thinking position as you with weighing cheaper truck and redo vs better shape already. I've personally of the mind frame that I'd much rather dump the money in something I know vs. overspend somewhere else and then have to dump money into someone else's problem. These trucks NEVER look as good in person as they do in pictures. If you cant lay hands on it personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money. Maybe ok on a $5k truck, not so forgiving on a $15k truck.
many others that have sold
Instagram: @SecondDailyClassics
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
Signal,
All very good points. I need to clarify that the engine does not need anything at the moment, I would go ahead and do head gaskets and reseal everything as that has never been done. The interior is pretty good but would want to refinish the seat bottoms as I want a near perfect cosmetic truck. The rust looks manageable as it is light surface rust. My desire is a car that becomes my daily driver and is presentable as a very good condition version. That being said, you are spot on with your assessment of working with what you have verse what you don't know. Not being able to see the car is what has me holding back, not so much the price per se. I am all too familiar with the problem of having to spend a lot of money to repair a vehicle after purchase - ask me about my 110 some day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
1995, 95, lwb, san diego