HELP!!! on car value - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

HELP!!! on car value

is a 1997 D-90 ST with 17k miles on it, never been off-road and everythings in perfect shape worth 47k ? i don't think it is worth this much and it has no upgrades on it other than a new radio and new BFG at's. Were amking the deal soon and i want to know if it's worth it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2006, 11:11 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

This is more of a personal decision Ben... but in my opinion hell no. It's a 9 year old truck that hasn't moved much in those years but that can lead to a host of other problems. 47k is a boat load of cash for any truck let alone a 9 year old rover that was ment to work the field or bound across the desert.

With that said I do understand that to some people these trucks are worth such a price... but youd be better off finding a higher milage truck and making it your own with the 30k you would have left over.

What do you want to do with it? if you want to store it in a garage caress her supple aluminum skin, than mabye this is a good truck. If you want to drive it...or god forbid froad it it...get a cheeper truck and save the money for the repairs that will come. or drop a new engine of your liking and there you go...

of course IMHO
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:15 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

NOT WORTH IT!!!
Just 'cause it only has 17k doesn't mean anything. It's still a 10 year old truck and it hasn't had all the stuff replaced that a truck with 100K on it would have. The tranny could still fail, oil lines rupture and start a fire...

With prices the way they are I could see $30K for it maybe. Plop $25 down on a used truck and put $22K into making it what you want.

just my 3 cents. Either way, Defenders kick ass, welcome.

Follow-up Post:

damn, beat me to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I think it depends on the color

97 D90 SW
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:47 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

this is what i've been thinkin but my dad really likes the low miles thing. My buddy bought a 95' and sent it to rover accesories and they rebuilt it. This will be my daily driver and off-road truck, i will slowly build it up but for 47k i can do a whole lot to a slightly higher mileage one on ebay. I just need to find a local d-90 thats in great shape and alot cheaper. I really like the 97's because of the auto
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:04 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

what the hell do you need a $47k wheeler for, let alone at the age of 17? That`s ridiculous. Albeit I have about $38k in my truck, but the majority of that $$$ has just been spent to keep it on the road. Why the hell would you drop $47k when in theory you`re going to beat the piss out of this thing anyways?
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Beware of any older vehicle with very low milage.

They are great in that they are often pristine. They are a bitch because they often need a lot of work to get them road worthy. If it has spent most of it's life in a garage odds are that it hasn't been maintained the way it should be. Gas has sat in the tank for months, the oil has been changed every 2000 miles but it took 3 years before it had another 2000 miles, all the rubber has rotted and not been replaced, etc.

A properly maintained medium milage vehicle is probably a better purchase than something that hasn't seen much road.
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Getting a low mileage D90 only means you will be facing the additional costs of all the stuff that goes wrong with them at around 100k miles. The prevailing mind set (like your dad's) against high mileage vehicles has been why I have been able to buy some incredible automotive bargains because they were "high mileage". Get a clean, high miles and well maintained one for much lower cost and figure you'll spend some $$ to get it reliable and drivable...hoses, belts, gaskets, electrical, bearing maintenance, etc. More important, is line up an honest and knowledgable mechanic to work with you if you aren't going to do your own wrenching...good luck...owning a D90 is great fun.
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Go ahead and pay way to much for a low mile defender.

Replace head gaskets at 20k like I did. Replace all hoses, wires, plugs, reseal top and front half of engine. New rad, brakes, altenator. . .

I got way too much into my truck and I got mine with 300 miles on it. Same year.

Miles mean squat. Maint. is everything.

I would buy a high mileage D and throw a 2.8 International in it if you have that cash.

Miles mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. Common sense - it's been around 9 years and hasn't even had the major fluids changed if it was maint to dealer spec. . .

EwS
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I agree with Eric and the rest. For that price you could almost get 2 94's, but the maintenance would probably kill you.

Why not just hit your dad up for the 110? It's not much more than he is willing to spend now.

97 D90 SW
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM
CGunther
Christian Gunther
'94 D90

47k?

Why worry about local? If you have that much cash to put in, buy the cheapest one you can get and do what it takes to get it on the road. Shipping from just about anywhere to anywhere in the US can be had for $500.

I got mine cheap, put a bunch of money into it, then some more, and then some more. Worth every penny. Plus you get to spend a lot of time reading this site.

My two cents (worth about half a penny).
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:34 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Hey, I offered him my 110 Tdi at $47K.

To each his own...mistakes.
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Hey, I offered him my 110 Tdi at $47K.
Damn, learn to drive a stick.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:12 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

high dollar 90

I have owned a 95 AA yellow that I bought w/ 25k and sat on carpet in some collectors garage, a 97 LE w/ 18k, another 97 LE w/13k and a 97 ST w/33k. Why did I buy all these 90's? To sell to someone just like you! I drive and maintain a 94 ST with 108K that I have had less trouble out of than most of these low mile garage queens. If you want a badass 90 and you are going to spend $47k, buy a cheaper, high milage one and send it off to ECR. I'd much rather have a rebuilt ECR rover than a low milage stock rover thats 10 years old. Good luck, I can't imagine life without a 90.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:16 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

were in TN do you live?
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:26 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Whether anyone on this forum thinks a vehicle is "worth it" is largely irrelevant, IHMO. The question is, what is the Fair Market Value? The marketplace determines the "fair price" for any good.

Me thinkst you're getting a biased slice of buyers and sellers here. I real alot of posts here along the lines of "this place is advertising this '90 for some ridiculous price; I'd never pay that much", followed in a couple of weeks with a post "I don't believe it, they sold it".

Unfortunately, the number of D-90 that change hands each year make determining the FMV difficult. But given the low miles and the scarcity value associated with NAS D-90's, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Eads, according to his profile. Ben, are you really going about this, or are you pulling chains yet again?
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Just outside of Memphis.
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
is a 1997 D-90 ST with 17k miles on it, never been off-road and everythings in perfect shape worth 47k ? i don't think it is worth this much and it has no upgrades on it other than a new radio and new BFG at's. Were amking the deal soon and i want to know if it's worth it

http://www.frozennorth.org/C37209561/E2056505486/

Thought this might help.

This comes up often. I recently said that I would not take $40,000 for my D. I doubt if anyone else would value my Rover this high but it's like someone else said, my Defender represents freedom to me. Sure I could have the same kind of freedom in a Jeep but it would probably look and work like a couple of other thousand Jeeps. I've had good luck with maintenance on my D and I want to stick with it. When I bought it I didn't know much about the value of Defenders and so I probably paid a couple thousand more for it than I should have but knowing what I know now I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have seen a lot of people say they don't want a low mileage 10 year old vehicle. Seems like the low mileage truck would need the hoses, belts, and maybe seals but wouldn't the lack of wear on cylinders, bearings, and other wear surfaces be a much better deal? How much will the 125,000 mile Rover cost over the next 50,000 miles?

So is a '97 in perfect shape with 17k on it worth 47thousand? Sound a little high to me but I bet someone else will take it given enough time. But then I look on the vehicles for sale page and see you can buy a nice truck for a lot less?
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Ouch guys, reading through this whole thread the colective is a bit hard on the guy.
Market Dynamics 101:
Interesting is the personal point of view - you pay what YOU want.
Having said that:
$47k period is in my opinion too much. I have a problem with $33k for a 50-60k miles clean 1997 and I want one of those. My '94 got a lot of offers at $20k (did not sell it, could not do it - A TOTALLY irrational position on my part!). So lets toss in a solid view and please argue:
1997 $37k tops (my limit is $35k but...going prices seem to be there)
1995 $28k tops
1994 $25 tops
Any and all extras are at the owners disgression save various tops (fast back add $300) / rear seats (bench add $700, 4 fold ups $500)/roof rack (full add $1k). Winches ?? Everything else from shocks to trim to lights to batteries replace wearing failing aging "stuff". Those are our toys and have minimal resales value. Just try to sell any regular piece of furniture in your house - pennies on the dollar!
Tough to accept but the same here -

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat