HELP!!! on car value - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 17th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE
Originally Posted by paulb
Just try to sell any regular piece of furniture in your house - pennies on the dollar!
Tough to accept but the same here -
No it's not. Those pieces of furniture were mass-produced and mass-marketed, and for any one piece there are likely 100's of thousands, if not millions, in the country.

If the vehicle in question was a Wrangler, the comparison would be fair.

However, we're talking about a NAS Defender; only a small number exist in this country. Therefore, it's entirelt possible that intangibles like scarcity value will dominate utilitarian considerations in determining its FMV.

'was just reading an article on the plane about bottles of wine with FMV's of over >$50K, even though they are most likely undrinkable due to age. Same thing - mystique, scarcity value.

Of course a big gotcha with intangible value is that it are highly dynamic and subject to whims of fashion. It can swing wildy up and down for little reason.

Old September 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
Ummm...he already bought the truck...

Old September 17th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW
Originally Posted by artm
Ummm...he already bought the truck...

Maybe it'll be a good reference in a couple of weeks when the subject comes up again.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Rover- Girl

Well, considering that I see people put down $25.000 on a hand off blackjack ...
Stay in a suit at the Bellagio in Vegas for $7000 a night...
I'd say knock yourself out!!!!!!!
Seems like money is not a factor here and if you have the cash to spend on
on a vehicle that you want, I'd say...get it !

I myself would shop around some more though!
Good luck!!
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
I agree Barry. But we are none the less talking niche markets here there in lies the difficulty. Yes, the Defender is in low numbers and that keeps prices at MV (fair or not that is what it is). My 1994 at 80k can command low $20k - few other used cars can. I accept that.
For the 1997 in question, my read is scarcity was not the FMV driver here but the milage at 17k. In the past 6 months, 3 or 4 1997s have been listed. There are some 20 listed on the internet. Prices seem to be $35k and up. What I tried to outline was the value of the low milage a point argued as a positive and a negative by responders to this thread. Near me, 35 cents a mile is the usual excess charge on a lease. Using that on the 97 D-90 at 17k miles when 12k milesx 10 yrs = 120k the math makes the truck a good buy.

Sounds like the truck sold - so well done. It keeps the value up, but knocks me out of the running.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat