Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 5th, 2017, 03:57 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Help needed: 6 Way Convoy switch

Reassembling a Tithonus and have reached the wiring phase. I was contemplating a complete rewire but not going that route so that brings up a few questions I'm hoping to get some help on. The convoy switch that I removed during disassembly looks like the one below in the pics. It's extremely basic with only one multi-plug unit. In my planning for the reassembly I looked into getting a new switch for no particular reason other than why not. In that search I came upon a new switch (also seen below). The new switch as you will notice has a handful of other wires coming out of the back gator as well as the single multi-plug unit that my switch has. I'm wondering what the hell was cut out of my switch knowing what mine has vs. what the new one has. I'm sure that during the Tithonus refurb project that there could be any number of things done but in putting it back together now, I'm curious if I should bother getting the new switch if those "extra" wires are relevant to anything I would need. Note: prior to disassembly the switch worked fine and all lights were working. This point leads me to want to just put the same switch back in and plug it up and let it ride. BUT.......what could those other wires be and are they necessary.

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	278362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	278370  

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	278378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1827-2.JPG
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	278386  

Name:	IMG_1827.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	278394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1829.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	278402  

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	278410   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	278418  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Take a look at this convoy switch. It has the correct plug... http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=PLE487 Prc2088 looks to be the one you need.
Old August 5th, 2017, 06:40 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
Reassembling a Tithonus and have reached the wiring phase. I was contemplating a complete rewire but not going that route so that brings up a few questions I'm hoping to get some help on. The convoy switch that I removed during disassembly looks like the one below in the pics. It's extremely basic with only one multi-plug unit. In my planning for the reassembly I looked into getting a new switch for no particular reason other than why not. In that search I came upon a new switch (also seen below). The new switch as you will notice has a handful of other wires coming out of the back gator as well as the single multi-plug unit that my switch has. I'm wondering what the hell was cut out of my switch knowing what mine has vs. what the new one has. I'm sure that during the Tithonus refurb project that there could be any number of things done but in putting it back together now, I'm curious if I should bother getting the new switch if those "extra" wires are relevant to anything I would need. Note: prior to disassembly the switch worked fine and all lights were working. This point leads me to want to just put the same switch back in and plug it up and let it ride. BUT.......what could those other wires be and are they necessary.

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Chris you appear to have bought PRC2089. MILITARY LAND ROVER SERIES PANEL LIGHT SWITCH NO3 MK7 ASSY #PRC2089/FV939097.NOS

The switch type for the model you have is as Rocky has indicated PRC2088 or PRC5410 per the MoD Defender parts list I have.

Personally if you're intent on changing this for your existing one, establish what you need from your existing connector block and either swap over to the new switch or on the new one cut the unwanted ones off and tape up any open wire ends.

Cheers

Fraser

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
switch