Help Needed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 14th, 2004, 02:40 AM
asdaly3
Andrew Daly

Help Needed

Hey all,

My name is Andrew and I just joined the site today.

For the longest time, I have wanted to purchase a Defender 90. However, for the past few years it just wasn't a realistic option for me. Currently, I own an Integra Type R (I know its the polar opposite of a D-90) and have for the past few years, but I do believe that I am ready to make the change.

I am posting to solicit some advice from you all in terms of what I should look for in a US D-90. Is anyone particularly predisposed to a certain model year. Are there any serious problems for which I should look. I would like to get a "low-medium" milage D-90, but is there a certain limit on which these vehicle will last?

Well, I will end my post before it gets too long. I greatly appreciate any advice from the Defender verterans out there.

Cheers,

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2004, 02:48 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Andrew,

1997 is the last year model, and IMHO the ideal year for several reasons, first and foremost, automatic transmission. Nicer interior, bigger motor, less corrosion, etc. Mileage doesn't matter much as long at it is someone who took proper care. Clearly, it's all about money. Pay less now to buy, get higher mileage and stuff breaks sooner.

Don't buy one that's been wrecked (they're out there). Get familiar with how to look at one and know what's up. Study the chassis underneath for and signs of bends or hammer work. Look to see on the frame if the thing has got all bent up from rocks where the suspension comes together with the frame. Check all the fluids and evaluate their condition. Investigate for oil leaks.

Your ideal is to get a 90 that is UNMODIFIED, low mileage, and from the original owner. There are a couple of Willow Greens (the Limited from 1997 - mine) for sale too. Usually those are good targets since mostly yuppies bought them up cuz they're so pretty.

Lemme know if I can offer any specific help.
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:01 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I hate the 97 with all that big plastic console. running front to back. Try to find one that has a well documented service history.
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2004, 01:08 PM
asdaly3
Andrew Daly

Thanks for the advice guys.

So far my research has been relegated to the internet. However my searches have failed to produce a list of the specs for the 95 or 97 D-90's.

If anyone has a link for this information, i'd greatly appeciate if you post it. Or, if anyone has the deal brochure from their 90 scanned, that'd be awesome too.

Finally, I'm just curious as to why you guys chose to purchase a hard top or soft topped Defender? I figure a majority of the decisions were based on location. I am in Virginia, which is a relatively moderate climate, so my optimal choice right now is the soft top and to purchase the fiberglass hard top later.
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:35 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:40 PM
asdaly3
Andrew Daly

Awesome Link....Thanks man
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Wicks hit it on the head - don't buy someone else's project vehicle.

The body is aluminum so they will outlast almost everything out there. The frame and bulkhead are steel, so inspect those carefully. If the owner serviced it porperly and cared fo it, they should be viable for quite some time.

I have a ultra low stock 97 for sale at the moment.. Check the for sale section.

Sorry, couldn't resist the shameless plug.

EwS
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

The radios are lousey, they leak oil, there is almost no sound deadening material, they are slow, they leak water, they are utility all the way.

I love 'em and I wouldn't trade mine for an H1 Hummer or even a garage full of Porsches.

I like the hardtop because it is not as noisey and they leak less than the soft tops.

They make parts and will be for a long, long time so they will last almost forever.

But buy a real truck with the 5 speed.

OK guys.....let me have it.
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ya know, to get a good idea on what its like to own a 90 just scroll through the posts in the looking for help section to see what other people have run into for problems. Before I started posting I read through allot of this site and found allot of little things that make owning a 90 much easier.

As far as ST vs SW (soft top vs station wagon) it really depends on your own preferences. To me there is nothing better then driving with the top down and the doors off. but if you like creature comforts more then a hardtop is more likely the better way to go.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I would take either hard top or soft top they are both awesome. the soft top is def a bigger hit with the ladies, but my SW does fine..... thats my only argument with ST vs. SW maybe the road noise but o well.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:25 AM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I saw one for sale at the Porsche dealer along Route 60 here in Richmond if you want to venture down here to test drive one. Its a soft top, not sure what year.

Good luck. Got mine a year ago and love it. Wanted one since 96. A lot of fun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat