Help me my first D-90. Input welcome. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 9th, 2012, 07:09 AM
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90
Help me find my first D-90. Input welcome.

Have been lurking for awhile and new to the site.

Think I am just about ready to buy a D-90. Thought I would gather as many opinions etc as possible, so that I can make the best informed decision.

I am looking for a vehicle to drive on the weekends and occasional week day. Something to work on and customize in my spare time. So, this will not be my daily driver. Not looking to scale mountains or drive off road much at all. Just want something fun, preferably convertible, good in the snow. I'm not too concerned about gas mileage considering it will only be driven a few times a week. Everyone and his brother has a I am not wanting one....want something that stands out.

I have had a few pick up trucks as well as two convertible SUVs before. One of my first vehicles was a 1985 Samurai...and I loved it....I owned it back in 1992. Not that a D-90 would compare to a Samurai...but I know what type of ride to expect and know it isnt a car.

I have been looking for just the right D-90 for about 4 months or so. Mostly looking on this site, craigslist, and eBay. Know any better places to look? Looking to spend under 20k. I have seen several grey markets come up on eBay/Craigslist for around 15-20K and am curious to hear some opinions on them. 15-20K is right in my price range. Is it better to avoid them and keep looking for a NAS? I really like the looks of the pick up version D-90 that I have seen. How easy is it to remove the top? How expensive are the Safety Devices 6 point roll cages? Was thinking of removing the top in the summer and installing the cage.....then removing the cage in the winter and installing the top.

Diesel or gas...doesnt matter. Would it be best to stick with a 200tdi, 300tdi if going with diesel? Is a non tdi diesel miserably slow. Is a NAS v8 reliable?

Any positive insight would be welcome and appreciated.
Thanks -egor

Old May 9th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Like my Tatas?
Hey Kody,

Try landroverexchange. Found my Series III and 110 there. Good luck

1983 110 Rebuild
Series 1
"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:50 AM
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Welcome, I have no experience with the grey market models, but for what you want out of it, a 95 SW or 94 ST will seem to fit your budget. At that price the paint might be a little tatty, the milage might be a little high, an there will be a little rust on the chassis and rear crossmember. And those really aren't major issues so it fits your criteria perfectly. The 3.9 V8 isn't known for its reliability, but its not bad, I doubt with 10k miles a year you may do you will be left stranded, the head gaskets and water pumps go, and you gotta keep an eye on the coolant and oil level, from my expierence those are the big issues with the alum rover V8. I have more expierence with the Disco 4.6 and it wasn't a bad motor, they just seem like they need a head gasket ever 100k miles. I welcome you to the club, and regret to inform you that you just got bit by the Rover bug, good luck trying to get away from it.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Find a not too rusty 94/95 NAS with a full cage and go from there.
*not legal advice*
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
Definitely a decision of the heart rather than the head. Keep in mine they are are like heroin. There is a danger in 'just trying it'. As long as you realize that they are all overpriced piles of shit going into it, you will be fine. As a general rule, west of the Rockies will be less rusty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d-90