Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Help.. Broken down on the side of the road in Boston area

Just got a call from Chris Vitale. It transfer case gave way on 495 south in the Boston area. Mile marker 112.

He asked me to post if anyone is in the area that can help. He is pulling a trailer and is loaded with 2 kids, wife and Dog in the truck on the way home from Maine to NJ. His cell is. 516 383 7645..
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Thanks Randy!

I am typing from the side of road now.

Family will get picked up and taken on home, shortly.

truck and trailer are headed to next exit via flat bed (john's auto) in Haverhill.

I Could really use a new transfer case if anyone in the area has one...I could send someone to you to get...would go as far as 200+ miles to get it.
Thanks!
Chris
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:22 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

What ratio?
ARe you looking for rebuilt or just something to get home?

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

1.2 is what I have now. It doesn't need to be a rebuilt unit. I could take either 1.2 or 1.4. Would love to get my hands on it tomorrow!!!
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
I have one that might work for you. It didn't sound great when I pulled it, but it can get you going. It has a mechanical speedo tailhousing that I would like back sometime, but it's yours if you need it. It is in Coventry, RI.

------ Follow up post added November 26th, 2011 05:55 PM ------

Also, it is a 1:211 ratio box.
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Ok. So we have decided to abandon the truck and trailer.

Mike,

I would love it if I could pick up the T-case 1st thing Monday am. I will take ur best 1.2 or 1.4. I am not picky.

What time do you open?

Thank you to you and Carey for helping me out of my situation...Much appreciated!

------ Follow up post added November 26th, 2011 06:51 PM ------

Dan...thank you for the offer too! Very nice.
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Chris, give Matt Browne a call at overland engineering. He is 30 min away from Haverhill in Eliot, ME. I'm sure he can help in a pinch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Jeff- It's probably worth checking to be sure.

BTW- just as i thought my night couldn't get any worse...I have to take sh*t from my brother in-law as I share space in the way way back of his G-wagon with my lab and lots of luggage. Home is still a long way to go...
F- my life. LOL
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Jeff- It's probably worth checking to be sure.

BTW- just as i thought my night couldn't get any worse...I have to take sh*t from my brother in-law as I share space in the way way back of his G-wagon with my lab and lots of luggage. Home is still a long way to go...
F- my life. LOL
Not to kick you when you're down, but I'm guessing this is the last trip the wife will take in the 90 ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

LOL

Actually, Thanks for the reminder. I have a lot to be thankful for...not once has she complained.

After 10 years of ownership and marriage. she now just gives me a smile and rolls with it.
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
LOL

Actually, Thanks for the reminder. I have a lot to be thankful for...not once has she complained.

After 10 years of ownership and marriage. she now just gives me a smile and rolls with it.
On that note , get flowers ( maybe some glass items ) for Mrs Vitale and call my cousin Guido for your brother in law *LOL*
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Jarek M
Jaroslaw Maras
D1 OM617, S3 88, S3 FFR, D2 04'

Got a D1 TC in Branchburg NJ, still on a parts truck but... I'll be home all day Sun wrenching, let me know.

Also Luke From Nova Scotia is around Maine with a water pump on the way out, in his 300td puling a trailer with the family down to FL. We need a water pump.

Old November 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
1.2 is what I have now. It doesn't need to be a rebuilt unit. I could take either 1.2 or 1.4. Would love to get my hands on it tomorrow!!!
1.4 is what you should have, but if a 1.2 will work those are cheaper as we have more of them.
Sadly I'm on the road in NH and can't do anything today. Could be 8am Monday though. I'll be away from the computer for the rest of the day, but if you need a used 1.2 you can have someone at the Rockland shop at 8am Monday and we can give them one.

Stupid questions, but did you take the t-case pan off and confirm you blew it up?
Just want to make sure you don't have a blown diff or something else. If you have any tools pull the gear out of the t-case and make sure you didn't spin the splines off the output shaft of the gearbox. I've seen that diagnosed as bad t-case before when in fact that is bad gearbox.

Good luck.

------ Follow up post added November 27th, 2011 06:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Do you know what went out in the Tcase? If it was input spline wear it could take out the output splines on your transmission. If this is going to be a roadside repair, it might me worth pulling the rear cover (and upper cluster) to be sure.

-Jeff
Sorry, should have read more. Bingo on the above, be sure to check it as Jeff says.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:29 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

I am 15mins away from Haverhill, not got a TC but if theres anything i can do to help give me a call

Old November 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris

After weighing all the options available, and offered generously by this community, the truck has been picked up and taken to Matt at Overland Engineering. While I would love to do the work myself (the fun part of owning a Defender), the truck is just too far from home to manage all the what if scenarios.

With that said, it's piece of mind knowing that a Rover expert like Matt will be installing his 1.4 ratio TC in my truck. This is a conversion that Randy and I have gone back and forth on what should have been paired with the 2.8 engine and 3.9 gears in the diffs. Still not sure if it's the best fit for my needs, as I spend a lot of time on the highway... But many prefer it opposed to the 1.2...so, now it seems there is no better time to put it to the test.

Mike, at this point, I don't believe I need the 1.4. But I truly appreciate the offer and suggestion.

Thank you to everyone for your help and insight.

Special thanks to Jimmy Salmon for meeting up with the Tow truck driver this morning, on very short notice, to represent my truck and ensure it was loaded safely. Additionally, for taking my trailer back to his home for safe keeping. Jimmy, i will need to know your favorite poison...
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

How is it you have yet to post pics of the truck completed in your project thread?
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

LOL. I took the D90 to Maine for the photo shoot.

However, It's still missing a rear tire carrier. I was going to get that for Christmas until I found an M416 trailer I just had to have. I will be restoring the trailer too! But I will not kit it out for camping. May even keep the camo look.
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

So post them!!!
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Will do...when I finally get home.
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I waited until he mentioned it was at Matt's. I added as much as you did in responding.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat