Help - anchorage alaska. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
overlandbirds

Help - anchorage alaska.

Anyone up here ? Need to remove a Gearbox and strip it to find out what's wrong.

If you know what we are doing we will need a bit of help. It might be the Transfer but it sounds like the gearbox (R380). We sleep in the car so we also need a driveway to sleep on whilst we do it. We are very used to sleeping in shops/garages (Just ask SCLC and Defenders Northwest!)

www.overlandbirds.com

Thanks
Neill and Julie (also Matilda the naughty Defender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandbirds View Post
Anyone up here ? Need to remove a Gearbox and strip it to find out what's wrong.

If you know what we are doing we will need a bit of help. It might be the Transfer but it sounds like the gearbox (R380). We sleep in the car so we also need a driveway to sleep on whilst we do it. We are very used to sleeping in shops/garages (Just ask SCLC and Defenders Northwest!)

www.overlandbirds.com

Thanks
Neill and Julie (also Matilda the naughty Defender)
What is the issue you are having? If the input shaft is stripped out you could just remove the PTO cover and the gear to inspect.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:50 PM
overlandbirds

It sounds like a bag of spanners. its been driven and is drivable but sound terrible. The box is 6 months old. The box is still on the car so cannot get to anything other than the top. Can you see inside if you take off the linkage and levers?

oil looks OK in it although not drained it yet. Just had a spoon full out via the fill hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
If its drivable then it is not the input shaft/gear. Taking the linkages off would not really help you any. IIRC there should be a magnet on the drain plug which would likely have metal chunks on it if it is as loud as you say it is.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2014 08:06 PM ------

You could also PM "aka rover" as he is in Anchorage. This is his website, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:22 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Eddie Angel, hit him up!
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Gearbox in neutral and clutch out does it make the noise? T case in neutral gearbox in gear clutch out does it make the noise?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Get a hold of me guys made some room for you.

Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:08 AM
overlandbirds

We're here. Thanks for the quick responses.

Eddie is helping us out.

Its the new Ashcrofts....its dead and its got MTF94 in it which was specially ordered and has only been in since november. 14,000 miles and the new box is dead.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:37 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
The oil sample looks like a metal milkshake ! a few beers and some food and we will determine the next move.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:24 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandbirds View Post
We're here. Thanks for the quick responses. Eddie is helping us out. Its the new Ashcrofts....its dead and its got MTF94 in it which was specially ordered and has only been in since november. 14,000 miles and the new box is dead.
That's not good to hear. I have a new Ashcroft R380 going in my build.

Semper Fi!
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

Interested to hear what happened to it and hope you get back on the road soon!
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:30 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
The oil sample looks like a metal milkshake ! a few beers and some food and we will determine the next move.
Strawberry milkshake with flakes? Not implying that Redline (or any) ATF was mistakenly applied, but coupled with a limited amount of water ingress, the mixture turns in something that looks EXACTLY like a strawberry milkshake. Then the metal flakes will come.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:04 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Bummer that the new tranny you just dealt with (wasn't that shipped to Central America somewhere?) is already calling it quits.

Glad to see you guys are back on the road as well!

Old May 4th, 2014, 07:52 PM
overlandbirds

Another slight update. Ashcrofts want to send parts but we are not geared up to strip it let alone re-build it. We should have photos today of whats inside if we can get it apart.

The oil was pretty contaminated (metal gold and silver,,,i'm rich !) but no water and it was origionally redline but that was drained after a while to fill with MTF94 specialy ordered from Mini. The two are fully synth and the redline was removed as the box was new so i thought it might "run in" and need a early change. We did the change in Seattle after driving half way round the state (lets say 8,000) . We did 14,000 miles total on the new box since November with 7 weeks of not moving over Xmas. It was driven in -20C (-2F) with the Redline in and thats nowhere near its pour point so t not that. It was much warmer up here when we arrived than the NJ temps after Xmas.

We should know more tomorrow. Trouble is Ed is off to Expo Saturday but is letting us use the shop. I'll be doing this all myself. Plus i have a slightly leaking rear crank seal....

How long will we be here......LONG TIME,,,,,,
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:08 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

So sorry to hear of your troubles Neill... but I am also very glad for the blessing of you having Ed and his shop to work out of. I am new to the rover community and so touched by everyone's willingness to help each other. What a family... Best of luck to you!
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
So they expect you to rebuild a seemingly fault gearbox yourself? I understand that it made it a good amount of miles with no issue, but I think they should send you a replacement given your situation.
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:32 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

I will fly into Anchorage on Tuesday May 13th and then on to Nome. Let me know if I can bring you something to Anchorage airport. I'm not sure if you know what you need but Land Rover Dallas is local to me.
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:24 PM
overlandbirds

thanks all. Not yet sure what Ashcrofts are going to offer but i'll let you know. I'm hopefull good service will prevail and so far he's been on Email on a holiday weekend so has met/exceded my expectations of a company owner. Nothing bad to say about them so far except my box is dead. I might just be unlucky as recently their quality is not being questioned. Historically they had issues but not recently. Maybe its just one of those things. Trouble is its costing me money / time and mucho stress.
Old May 5th, 2014, 01:42 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Other than the deep socket for the giant nut, you can rebuild an R380 without any special tools beyond those normally associated with a manual trans rebuild. ie gear pullers bearing press etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat