Heater Idea... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 17th, 2010, 04:33 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...

Heater Idea...

Ok so far my heater in the 83 110 has been anemic at best. Part of the problem is the fan (I have one ordered) it is old and worn out. On setting 1 it barely moves any air at all and on setting 2 is slowly heats up the front seat area, sort of. So the thought occurred to me, "has anyone ever done anything with scavaning heat off of the exhust system, rather like the older Porsche 911 (air cooled no water involved) does with a jacket around the exhaust piping?"

I mean a simple jacket around the say even the muffler that had the warm air circulated through it and back into the cabin for added heat?

I am sure if I start messing with this now I will have it done by ohhhh at least August...

Thoughts?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
on setting 1 they don't blow much at all, that is how they are supposed to work. setting two should produce a good airflow though. does the air that is coming out feel warm? I would get the stock stuff working the way it is supposed to rather than futzing around with your proposed alternative system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY View Post
Ok so far my heater in the 83 110 has been anemic at best. Part of the problem is the fan (I have one ordered) it is old and worn out. On setting 1 it barely moves any air at all and on setting 2 is slowly heats up the front seat area, sort of. So the thought occurred to me, "has anyone ever done anything with scavaning heat off of the exhust system, rather like the older Porsche 911 (air cooled no water involved) does with a jacket around the exhaust piping?"

I mean a simple jacket around the say even the muffler that had the warm air circulated through it and back into the cabin for added heat?

I am sure if I start messing with this now I will have it done by ohhhh at least August...

Thoughts?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Fix it up. They are not bad when working properly. I can stay warm in -40.

I have a plan for a larger and low cost heater. Before next winter. Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
on setting 1 they don't blow much at all, that is how they are supposed to work. setting two should produce a good airflow though. does the air that is coming out feel warm? I would get the stock stuff working the way it is supposed to rather than futzing around with your proposed alternative system.
Ok so setting 1 is supposed to be low? Mine barely blows ANYTHING. In fact when you set it to setting 1 you can hear the fan slowly turn with an oscillating whir whir sound. Setting 2 gets some airflow but not much. As I mentioned I do have a bird cage fan on order.

My heater core is working fine as what little air that does come out is warm.

My thought is that the cab simply is not a warm fuzzy place to be in anything below freezing so I am dreaming up ways to supplement the stock heater. The Exhaust after all is free heat...

I was just wondering if anyone else had done anything like this?

Wait till I start in on some sort of extra Air Conditioning.... Mu HA HA HA HA HA ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Fix it up. They are not bad when working properly. I can stay warm in -40.

I have a plan for a larger and low cost heater. Before next winter. Stay tuned.
As in a Larger heater core?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
From my truck with a stock heater in less than 30 minutes of driving.

http://members.shaw.ca/red90/Myheaterworks.jpg
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

Maybe your air intake area for the heater is all blocked up? Common issue on some Defenders.

Don't wrap the exhaust and try to get heat off that..... carbon monoxide is not something to mess with. The slightest leak and you'll be pulling in huge amounts of it. Keep in mind most manifold gaskets and most crimped mufflers DO LEAK even if you can't really hear it. Intentionally directing that air into the cabin is a bad idea.

Now - that said: Wrapping the manifold and header pipe with a coil of tube and running antifreeze through it to another heater core inside the truck..... that would be slick. Small circulating pump, some copper tube, wrap it in header wrap insulating tape and plumb it into the cab to a small heater core with a fan behind it. Or get a small "bus heater" for the core.

Doug
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
If you decide you want to go aftermarket I put one of these in my drafty 46 chevy pickup and you could drive around comfortably in shorts and a tshirt on the coldest Maine days.

http://www.danhard.com/sub2.htm
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:55 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
From my truck with a stock heater in less than 30 minutes of driving.

http://members.shaw.ca/red90/Myheaterworks.jpg
WOW ! ! ! Your running a 90 correct? Is your roof insulated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
Maybe your air intake area for the heater is all blocked up? Common issue on some Defenders.

Don't wrap the exhaust and try to get heat off that..... carbon monoxide is not something to mess with. The slightest leak and you'll be pulling in huge amounts of it. Keep in mind most manifold gaskets and most crimped mufflers DO LEAK even if you can't really hear it. Intentionally directing that air into the cabin is a bad idea.

Now - that said: Wrapping the manifold and header pipe with a coil of tube and running antifreeze through it to another heater core inside the truck..... that would be slick. Small circulating pump, some copper tube, wrap it in header wrap insulating tape and plumb it into the cab to a small heater core with a fan behind it. Or get a small "bus heater" for the core.

Doug

I will check and see if there is anything in the "plumbing" like a rats nest or something equally disgusting.

Ahhhh The Carbon Monoxide possibility is a real issue. I will say that I have NEVER heard of this in the Porsche community. Have to do some investigating there.

Now your idea of a second water system is slick, have to look into that as well.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Add seat heat- seems to help take the chill out of the truck for me. Cheap and quick upgrade. I even re-used my seat trim the first time I installed it since I wasn't sure I would like it much. There are some kits out there that really heat up.

Alex
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
My first thoughts after reading this is your fan electrical contacts are dirty from age and offering too much resistance in the lines between the ignition power/chassis ground and the fan. good ground on fan, clean up the switch contacts on your fan switch, and positive lead in the fan, and that should help I would think.

you could measure the inline resistance to corrosion to get a sense of magnitude, by measuring the ohms between the heater lead in the fuze block and the heater positive lead on the fan. Also look at the voltage drop. Do the same for the voltage drop on your heater fan ground (I'm not sure since I haven't ever pulled mine yet but it's probably chassis ground. If you have a big voltage drop for the chassis ground (using a good battery lead as the pos source), then I would also pull the heater housing, and clean up the mounting points where the chassis makes contact with the bulkhead.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY View Post
WOW ! ! ! Your running a 90 correct? Is your roof insulated?
Yes, the truck is fairly well insulated.

It does sound like something is wrong with your heater. I would pull it out and have a look. They are very simple to remove.
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I just installed a VW gas heater in one of Troy's boxes. A little wiring here, a little plumbing there - fantastic! Full heat in 15 seconds.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
heater