Heated Windshields? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 24th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Heated Windshields?

Alright, I'm definitely looking for a heated windshield and am looking for comments or suggestions before I start trodding down this road.

I know the official wiring loom is quite expensive and was thinking I could make my own.

If anyone else had been here and done this, I'd love to hear the good bad and ugly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2003, 09:49 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Talking

Hey @#$% Newbie! Do a search!!!! (http://www.defendersource.com/discus...es/16/578.html) Hehehehe!

Dave Marchand has installed one. I believe he ordered the entire kit from the UK? Not sure about the control box though. I'd shoot him an email (davidamarchand@hotmail.com) and see how he wired his up. Have a great X-mas Mike!

DJ
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:13 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Well after reading the old posts I see I have one more item to add to my wish list.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Hey DJ!

Hehe, thanks for the warm welcome. I guess I deserve the flipoff and the 'go search f-in' newbie' comments.

I'm going to e-mail the windsheild guy when I get back to Vegas.

Merry Christmas to you too!
Old December 25th, 2003, 01:16 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Hey Mike!!! No problem...just thought I'd take my one and probably last time to do that here! Actually, I believe a lot of people have followed in his footsteps with the heated windscreen. He's got heated mirrors too if you're interested. I take it you're in Utah with your folks for X-mas? Hmm...must be cold there if you're already looking for a heated windscreen. Portland isn't too bad, mostly rain though. Well, have a great holiday and a safe drive back to Vegas.

DJ
Old December 25th, 2003, 02:09 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, I spoke with them not too long ago and I think it was about $300 shipped but they were out of stock.. Shoot them an email and see.. I actually got a Genuine 110 one from the UK for $249 plus shipping instead of the after market one.
With my luck I will go around the block and some screwball in a blinged out H2 will throw a rock back at me and crack it.... lol..

Randy
Old December 25th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

DJ, yeah, cold but it's the freezing fog on the outside of the windshield that's been the problem this trip. We're planning on moving here next fall (Vegas isn't the gold-mine we thought it would be), so I'm just preparing for next winter right now.

I can't believe a genu-whine headed windshield is only 250 bucks! The heated windshields for my RRC's are about 1200 bucks! Maybe it's the curve in the glass...I can't understand it.

I'll probably order a genuine one from Craddocks or maybe have George at RDS get me one in his next container.

I installed my Rovers North Radiator Muff just now, went on in a cinch and looks super swanky too. Now to see if it works as advertised.

Thanks for the tips onthe windshield and the muff. Now back to your regularly scheduled Christmas.
Old December 25th, 2003, 06:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, call Tim at Dingocroft in the UK RRC7310 150.15 uk pounds
Old December 25th, 2003, 10:56 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hey Mike,

Also I noticed this thread:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...4&threadid=283

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 25th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

wow, that's cheap. sad thing is I put in a brand new seal when I had the windsheild installed. The windshield has pitting on BOTH sides, indicating it has been in at least two seperate vehicles, each side having a turn fending off rocks.

If I'd have known the heated windshields were so cheap, I might not have tried to save a few bucks and re-use my original windscreen.

Oh well.

Thanks for the tip.
Old December 26th, 2003, 09:30 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Speaking of, I had a rock take a sizable chunk of my windscreen out this summer (without cracking it mind you). What's the best method for repairing the damage? Do it yourself-able? I would prefer to do it myself rather than waste some time getting a glass company to do it. Any recommendations?

On the expense. This is surprising to me. I had to replace the screen on my subie outback with heating elements this summer as well. It was only something like $350. I cannot understand why the LR screens are so much money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat