Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 31st, 2003, 09:56 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Question Heated windshield

Since I will be installing a new windshield in my buildup over the winter, do you guys think its worth getting the heated windshield? If so, I know there was a thread in the past about it but where is a good place to get it? Does it come with a wiring kit?

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:19 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Ah yes, one of my favorite subjects....

I do think the heated windshield is worth it. I paid roughly 250-300 to get an aftermarket one from the UK. I used a Hella 30 amp relay and switch it off of the timed, heated rear window switch already in the SW.

It's pretty damn nice, either in the snow or those really wet days when everything fogs up. Don't know about you, but whenever their is moisture in the air, the first thing to fog is my windshield.

Wicks and I and a few others ordered them from this place: http://www.gi24.co.uk/trolleyed/index.htm

They did a nice job of shipping. Remember, they are aftermarket, not genuine.

I also have heated convex mirrors, but that's another story
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
so, on the windscreen, do you see those same lines for the heater element as on a rear window? That could be monstrously annoying...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2003, 04:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Actually Dave, since I am not using the heated window in the rear door anymore, I prob. could just hook it up to that switch right? I might be able to get a OEM 110 heated window for a good price but if I recall it has several wires coming off the glass not just one set. Does this sound right?

Randy
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:29 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yes, you do see the lines, however they are vertical and much thinner. You get used to them right away. They blend well.

Randy, your right. On the 110 there are 3 wires. I'm not sure how they correspond, other than power and ground.
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If its easier, I will just get the glass from the link you posted. Does that one only have 2 wires? I would think that would hook right up to the rear wiring unit then.

Randy
Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:44 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yup, just two wires. One is power, the other ground. Couldn't be any easier.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks David. You said that it was about 250-300 for the windshield. Did that include shipping if you remember? Was the company good to do business with?

Randy
Old November 3rd, 2003, 12:47 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The price at the time was about that range with shipping. Just take a look at their pricing on their site and go to www.xe.com to do the conversion. Remember, your without the VAT tax since it's coming overseas. The company and owner were very good to do business with in my perspective. They handled all communication well. I'm thinking of ordering a second wndscreen just to have on hand as I know where I live, it's inevitable the screen will crack in a year or two due to all of the rocks/road salt etc. that's around here. I'd rather just have the replacement ready to go. But my original one from the company has held up extremely well.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I spoke with them today. They are out of stock right now but the windshield with shipping to NJ is 200 uk.. which is about $300. Not bad for a heated windshield. I will then just wire it up to my rear glass heater circuit since I don't use it.

Randy
Old November 3rd, 2003, 06:51 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I have a front window in my 1997 that has wavy vertical filaments in the glass,and there appear to be about 4-6 contacts of some sort along the top (have to look to get exact number). Being in SOCAL, I never really looked into it, but I asume I have the heated window.

What are those metal parts along the top...and how does one hook that thing up? Pics?
Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:07 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Good question. It sounds like either a TD5 heated windscreen, or the 110 windscreen. See if you can't get some info from someone with a 110 parts manual....

Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:23 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yall think the stocker swith for the rear window in the SW could handle the extra load to a front window in conjunstion with the rear. o yeah one of the lines on my rear window dont work but the rest work fine. what holds the rear window in place??
Old November 4th, 2003, 08:28 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Phillip, the wiring can handle the load of switching a properly wired relay only. I would never even consider wiring the screen in line with the switch. The front screen requires a lot of juice to work.

As far as the rear window, I think the few screws holding the metal trim tabs around the frame are all that really hold it in place, but I've never pulled it before.

Old November 11th, 2003, 05:05 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone know the # for the heated windscreen wiring harness??

Randy
Old November 11th, 2003, 05:42 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I had some requests for info on the heated mirrors. The kits can be ordered from the UK: http://www.offroadstore.co.uk/acatal...SERIES_27.html

They are simple backings that will go over your existing mirrors (or order convex ones while your at it).

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109-0981_img (small).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	91  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat