Heading to the UK, Where Should I Go? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Its a 3hr drive to the Pembrook ferry, hit traffic, could be 4/5hrs. The crossing is 4 hrs. Your looking at 14hr minimum return journey. Bristol Airport is not far from where your staying and the flight is about an hour. Dublin is a great place to stay overnight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Skip Stonehenge and go to Solihull to the factory. Stonehenge was for pilgrims 1000 years ago, solihull is YOUR pilgrimage destination. Stonehenge is a circle of rocks that have been there thousands of years and no one knows why or who. Solihull on the other hand is home to LR which may not be there that much longer. We know why it is there, to build the best4x4 by far. Now go see it and skip the rocks.
While in the B-ham area you can then see Stratford, maybe Warwick. the Midlands is home to beautiful villages and great country pubs. It is an easy train trip from London or probably Swindon.
Swindon is also near to Oxford and Bath, both beautiful towns.
I would say stay in London Sat. and sunday. tons to do, see previous post. If only one day in London then for sure you should take the LOndon bus tour. They are open top double decker buses which you can hop on and off of all day. It is a tour bus so it takes you to the must see spots, but also gets you around London. You will see them at tourist spots like the London Eye etc.

If you want to go somewhere a bit different got to Edinburgh rather than Dublin. Only 4 hours by train from London and you get to witness beautiful rural england scenes for much of the trip. Edinburgh is a fun party city, no kilt required. If you are a golfer St Andrews is not far.

my 2 cents. Whatever you do have fun.
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I changed the trip up a little and am bringing the wife over. We are going to take the train over to Paris for two days, then spend the remaining two days in London. So no Solihull pilgrimage

Are there any worthwhile Rover related places in London, perhaps good parts stores or a place that will sell me a 300tdi cheap?

Follow-up Post:

Also, those of you who have been to London, what is the best part of the city to stay in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

If you have the cash, Park Lane or Mayfair

Old February 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue

Also, those of you who have been to London, what is the best part of the city to stay in?
I can thoroughly reccomend Browns Hotel which is about 2 minutes away from St James's park and Buckingham Palace. I've stayed there several times (only because a good friend of mine is one of the managers there! )

But you're located right near to lots of good sights, like I say, Buck Palace, the Thames, the expensive shops etc etc. and if you're into UK military at all, then it's right across the road from Whitehall (my last room i had there looked over into Whitehall)

It's certainly not the cheapest, but it IS good, and customer service is second to none.

As for LR related stuff in London... not a huge deal really. stay away from scropion racing, as they're crap.

If you venture West out of London on the M4, remember to give me a shout!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue

I will be starting off in Swindon. I don't think I'll have any time to hang with you Landy guys unless you want to come in to town on Monday or Tuesday for a pint.
Sounds good! give me a shout when you're free.
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Jonathan right now is a great time to get a hotel in London relatively cheap for London. The best area is Mayfair/Westminster/Marlybone/Kensington. This will give you the easiest access to the parts of London where you will want to be. Expedia is the best place to go to make your reservation in Dollars and not Pounds.
Currently the Park Lane is about $200 per night. The Intercontinetal Park Lane is $250ish. both great locations and classic London hotels 4-5 star. Another great hotel is the Marriott County Hall about $220. It is right on the Thames with views of parliament and Big Ben. Right next to the London Eye. You can request a room with a river view a bit higher in price, probably worth it. Great English breakfast. I have stayed at both the County Hall and the Park Lane and liked them both. The county Hall is also near Waterloo station where you will catch the Eurostar train to Paris. These hotels would normally be over $300 to $400 per night. the exchange rate and the recession are helping you out. If these are more than you want to spend I stayed a nice clean but small hotel near Paddington station. Can't remember the name but I can find it for you if you PM me. I think it was around $130 per night.

As for LR places in London. there is a nice dealership in Mayfair called Stratstone it is on Berkely st. near the Ritz hotel off of Piccadilly st. Take the tube to Green park station. then look for the Ritz and you are close.
They usually have some great RR's and a Def. if they don't have a Defender there is another dealer near Harrods in Kensington. I forget the name but the Stratstone guys can tell you where it is. You and your wife will want to see Harrods anyway.
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For you UK guys, I'll be at the Madison Hotel on Oxford Road in Swindon on Monday and Tuesday night (the 9th & 10th) if you want to grab a pint.

I'll be at the Grand at Trafalger Square in London on Saturday and Sunday (the 14th &15th).

Semper Fi!
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

stay away from the pubs very near the Grand, very touristy and not representative of a good pub. However, the Sherlock Holmes pub just south of your hotel and around the corner is good. get a few tourists but still a local hang out with nice atmosphere. Even had a good lunch there.
have fun,good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat