Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 9th, 2015, 11:08 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Heading to Albuquerque

Spending a week there for work and looking to extend my trip to the weekend before as well as the weekend after so I can enjoy the area more.

I looked through some old threads and plan to stop by Dassler's place as well as El Patio. Any other places in the city or thereabouts to check out?

Is it worth renting a car and driving up to Moab for a weekend given that the drive is 6 hours, or is it better/cheaper to fly direct into Moab?

Is Taos worth the trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2015, 11:59 AM
badvibes
Jeff
1991 RRC

Registry
I'd suggest instead of Moab, not that Moab isn't cool, side trips to Santa Fe and Taos. Couple of spots that I like are the Georgia O'Keefe museum in SF. Not very big but if you like weird paintings of bones & flowers & landscapes... Also in SF eat at the Shed. Just east of the Plaza tucked into an old adobe, the best red chile in NM IMHO. Or eat at Tomasitas near the train station.

The Millicent Rogers Museum in Taos is cool. Michaels Kitchen is a good place to eat. You can see the gorge from the bridge is cool. Wandering the plaza area is nice in both towns.

The High Road to Taos Byway is a nice drive. You go thru Chimayo which has the small church famous for the healing dirt. Interesting collection of things left by people who have visited the church.

http://www.newmexico.org/high-road-to-taos-trail/
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Taos is worth the trip, particularly if you drive the "High Road to Taos." The scenery is really awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2015, 12:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks guys I appreciate the tips from ABQ locals!
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:10 PM
badvibes
Jeff
1991 RRC

Registry
good thing or bad thing? Not sure.

Be aware that Oct 3rd-11th is the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. Makes the city a bit of a madhouse. Nice to see if you haven't ever but huge crowds, traffic issues and hotels get booked up. Claims to be the most photographed event in the world. Just a heads up.
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:58 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

El Patio de Albuquerque for dinner.

El Patio De Albuquerque, Albuquerque - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:59 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
When are you coming out? Come see me..........I know all the spots round here!
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:41 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

You could also consider driving up into Colorado after seeing Taos...Aspen & Crested Butte are fairly accessible via that part of NM - Aspen has access from that direction via a fairly driveable backcountry road (closes in Winter, last I heard).

Or driving west out on I40 (75 mph limit + 9mph tolerance!) from ABQ for a few fairly Southwesterly-scenic hours also puts you reasonably close to Telluride via the former highway 666 (yes 666, not 66), which includes a drive thru Shiprocks country (VERY Southwesternly-scenic). There's also some other smaller & more Rockies-esque highway routes to Telluride via Durango, Pagosa Springs, etc.

Much of the above (except I40/ex-666) is popular for Fall foliage scenery. In a rent car, I'd go for Colorado instead of Moab, but that's just me. Budget & Enterprise often have full size, extended cab pickups out of ABQ, if that's ur thing.
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Give Rob a big hug for me. If he/you don't feel comfortable with that, at least buy him a beer for me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat