Head turning D90 stories. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:30 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Head turning D90 stories.

We all love our D90s for various reasons. Some love them more for the offroading prowess and others more for their looks. I think regardless of our main reasons for owning them we all appreciate the attention we get from people when we are out and about.

In the short time that I have owned mine I have several noteworthy stories.

One day I come out of a grocery store and there is a Jeep Cherokee parked next to me. As I approach a guy jumps out and asks me if the D90 is mine. I assure him it is mine as I am putting groceries in it. This guy spends the next 15 minutes telling me how much he admires it blah blah etc. He wants to know everything about it including how much it costs. i give him a ball park figure and he shakes his head. I guess his wife is driving a Disco and he just got himself the Jeep. He says if he had known he could have gotten a 7 year old D90 for the same price as his new Jeep he would have. He looked like he wanted to cry as I got in and drove away. Poor Jeepin Bastard.

Another day i am in a different grocery store and as I come out a Jeep Wrangler pulls up with 3 teenage guys in it. Let me describe the vehicle as "Confused" . It apparently could not make up it's mind if it wanted to be an offroad vehicle or a bling-bling street rappers pimp mobile. Anyway, these guys jump out and circle the vehicle and are are telling me my vehicle is "Sick" and "Tight" not to mention "Epic"I tried to explain to them that I had just cured the waterpump "Sickness" it had and the new one was in fact on there tight. You should have seen them practically dancing around it. Quite a sight for several minutes.

Cherokee and Wrangler drivers...are we starting to see a pattern here?

My favorite one though is a time I was driving by the front of a grocery store and I saw a dad walking toward the front door with his 2 year old son in tow. The kid may have been 3, I am not sure but he had that just learned to walk wino type stagger in his step so clearly a very young guy. Any how , as I approach this kid is staring at my rig as I drive by. Lil guy is practically breaking his neck as dad pulls him on. As I pass behind them the kid snaps his head around straining the other way to check it out. He then begins to fight against dad so he could keep looking.

It was very cute and if dad had stopped to look I probably would have stopped to offer the lil guy a ride in this amazing vehicle. Dad was oblivious.

That story makes me want to keep one of those shirts we have all seen that says"Future Land Rover driver" in the truck to give out to lil Rover nuts like him.

Land Rover Defender 90... The offical 4X4 of 2 year old boys in Zig Zag Oregon!!

There are a lot of other less significant stories..lots of people stopping me to ask about the snorkel etc. I had a guy in the new est Range Rover give me a thumbs up once. That was cool to have guy in a $65,000 vehicle showing appreciation.

So lets hear some other peoples stories......

Cyborg
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2004, 07:33 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Larry-
Great topic--getting away from the flame throwing contests.

At a Land Rover Centerville (Utah) "wheels" event in Moab I got a "Nice Jeep" comment from a newbe Disco II owner.

Last month in downtown Aspen I got a "Nice Hummer" comment from an Ski bunny.
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
some dood asked me if it was a hummer once? I was at the bank once and this guy was staring it down and ran over the curb... but people always stare..
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

At a gas station a few weeks back, a guy next to me asked, "Is that the new small Hummer?"

Around the same time, my girlfriend's roomate's new guy-friend was trying to be the "cool guy" when he met me for the first time and said, "Sweet Jeep, Bro. I used to own that one. It's a 1975, right?" At the same time, the girls responded, "It's a Land Rover!" He felt like a tool...definitely.
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:48 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Besides "nice Jeep" I've had:
"dat a Hummer?"
"Is that a Rambo-jeep?"
"Going on a safari?"

At a stoplight: "what is that?"
me: "uh, Defender, Land Rover Defender"
stranger: "zat a Tie-ate-uh (Toyota)?"
me: "no, Land Rover"
stranger: "yeah Tie-ate-uh"
me: "yeah" <smile and drive away>

I've also had a couple of people assume it's a much older restored vehicle. They look at me like I'm lying when I say it's a '97 model year.
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

I was driving on the highway back from cottage country with my girlfriend in the car. She doesn't appreciate the Defender as much we do(i.e.she thinks it's loud and uncomfortable). But as we are driving, this lexus speeds up behind us and starts honking. He pulls up beside us and the two guys in the car start waving and giving the thumbs up they REALLY were showing their appreciation. For the next ten minutes, they go infront of us and look behind them, they go behind us and look at the back of the D 90 and keep circling the car, looking from all angles. This is at 120 kph mind you. Then they gave the final wave and drove off. That's what it took for my girlfriend to finally realize how great these Rovers are.

Another time, my Defender was parked outside my house. I was doing some work near one of the front windows and saw this white bulked up jeep drive by, slow down and back up beside it. There were I think 4 guys in the jeep all oggling at it. My sister was just coming in the door and said "Well those guys like your Car!". Then after realizing that we say them they drove off.

It's truely special
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:07 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
While in a very long check out line in the garden section of Home Depot yesterday I see this 20 yr old employee come racing around the corner from the parking lot with a frantic look on her face. She said "does anyone know whose yellow Land Rover that is out there?" I slowly raised my hand, picturing a mini-van smashed up against it... She said "dude, that is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!" With about 20 people in line listening and watching, she had me tell the whole history of the D90. She then said "about $85,000 right?" I smiled and said yep!
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:40 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

I love it! Hehe, those stories are classic.

Here's my best one.

When I had my 109 SW (alright, it's not a D90, but give me some leeway), I was living in Portland. I was shooting film at the time and had to go downtown to PhotoCraft (Portland's best film lab) nearly every day to drop off or pick up film.

There is a paid parking lot right across the street from their building and I would park there to run in and do my business.

One of the guys that parked cars there when he saw me pull in for the first time was going crazy. This guy was very very dark black, and said that he was from Nairobi and learned how to drive in Land Rovers.

From then on he was the only guy that got to park my truck. In fact, he was the only one that knew how to start it and drive it correctly.

It's the little things that count.

I can't tell you how many times I get the 'are you going on safari' comment (course the safari stickers don't hurt), or the 'is that a Hummer?' question.

My next plates will be 'NTAHMR'. Will be getting them this fall as we are moving to Utah, so I'm kind of looking forward to new plates.

I got waved at by a very enthusiastic RRC owner today going the opposite direction, andd about a week ago I had a Mini-Cooper full of HOT chicks from Utah down on spring break ogling the RRC LWB that's all tricked out, giving me the thumbs up.

People stare at the CrewCab so much I had to start pretending not to notice them. Every now and then someone will REALLY crane their neck aroud to check it out.

The guys in the jacked up F350's are the best. They pull up sllloooowwww and pretend not to care. Hehe.

Old April 21st, 2004, 08:45 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Hahahaaaaa!!

It is funny how I can get used to having people stare at the vehicle when I am driving it. It is so common now that I absolutely expect it. Sometimes I find that people are not looking and I get puzzled by this....I then realize I am driving my girlfriends Jetta.......Dohh!!

My girlfriend used to have a 4wd Ranger with a slight lift. We got her a Jetta for economy but she sometimes misses being "Up there". When she drives the Rover she is definitely Up there and she really enjoys all the looks from the guys. My Rover is pretty well equipped and I think guys find it confusing to see a cute little lady driving a big mean Rover.

She did not have the slightest clue that this Rover was so special until she started riding in it and seeing all the looks we get. It is now a game we play, spotting the gawkers. (Ever play spot the gawkers??)

She then did not understand what a serious off road performer it was either. Until the day came when we were driving through a snowy mountain pass. I pull a full size Dodge truck out of the snowy ditch(with my lil'Rover) and then proceed to drive directly through his ruts he was stuck in without spinning a wheel.(She called me a show off.... why??)Did I mention that my cousin was in the back seat?? Yes he left his Cherokee back where the snow started getting deep.....Hahahahaaa!

My only slight disappointment is that it is by far mostly guys checking it out. Have had a few ladies show appreciation but it is not proving to be the chick magnet I was hoping it would be. I guess it is not fluffy--bling-bling enough??

Larry
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
long live the D-90........ my sorrow's to those that dont have one
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl said my Defender was down right righteous! I was at 31 Flavors last night. Just kidding Torrence! I just couldn't resist!

However..........I was quietly reading at Barnes and Noble a few Saturdays ago (the one by Janzen Beach Larry) when the store clerk reminded me in an "Apu-ish" manner that I was in fact not in a library and to put both the LRM & LRO down. He thanked me and asked me to "Come Again!" Oh well. After leaving I really wanted to go back in and get some closure on the anecdotal cartoon they run every issue. Man I wish I spoke British so I could grasp those jokes, but I laugh anyway in order to keep up the appearance as if I knew what I was reading.

Anyway, I walked out the front door to where I was parked and a father with his young son, about six or so, just exited their VW van. The two began to stare down the D90. The son asked, "Dad! What the hell is that?" The father replied, "Well, son that is the biggest piece of gas guzzling shit England ever squeezed out of it aristocratic ass! Do you have any idea what this instrument of death does to our environment son?h He then proceeded to yell additional obscenities at the D90 and to the all-mighty whilst transforming his face to a tomato-like red. It was very obvious that I shouldn't interrupt his speech. Meanwhile, his son joins in by marching over to a tree where he firmly removed a switch and began to accost the tires on the D90. Luckily, he was too small to damage anything.

Nonetheless, I was baffled. I didn't even know how to approach this situation. Should I grab the kid? I didn't want to do that. That was his kid, not mine, plus his father was extremely irritated. By now a crowd had gathered and the father took notice. Still in his perturbed state he took advantage of the scene and demanded to know whose Defender this was or he was going to take his tire-iron to it. I thought to myself, gO-explicative! How am I going to get away with this one without being on the receiving end of that manfs fists or worse his tire-iron?h For some odd reason I spoke up, gIt that guysh as I pointed to the clerk that had kicked me out of the book store previously. I could barely keep a strait face.

The father snatched up his son and bursted into the store yelling and screaming at the clerk. I wanted to stay and watch, but jumped into the D90 like my rear-end was on fire! I inserted the keys and firmly turned the cylinder counter-clockwisecccand nothing. It just kept burping and spewing black smoke from the tail pipe. I had to be on TV. This couldnftf be happening. Well, by this time the father and the clerk were wise to me and the plume of black earth eroding smog pointed them in my direction. Both jumped out the door and began to throw books from the outdoor display at the D90. In the mean time I kept turning the starter and just as they were about to get to periodicals the D90 came alive!

I was out of there! I slammed it in reverse and thatfs when it hit me. To be precise his name was Officer Stark. But that didnft really matter because I just rearranged his entire passenger side for him. Murphyfs Law in action. I told the officer that he didnft that much space anyway. He wasnft amused. Sigh. So, to sum up I had the officer ask me to step out of my vehicle and begin writing a couple of tickets for me, both the clerk and the father yelling at me (and to the officer about what I had done) and lastly the little boy whipping my legs with that damn switch, which amused the officer.

Just when that day was about to depress the gFlush Handleh on me an eyewitness stepped forward. gOfficer, he exclaimed, gthis father and son are to blame!h It was none other than the Rev. Al Sharpton! At least I thought it was. I really couldnft tell because I was hitting the bong pretty hard before I got there. Anyway, it turns out I this short narrative is nothing more than pure bull-plop! Thatfs right, bull-plop! I would have posted it on April First, but my wife and I were expecting a baby thencccccthat parts true! Hope you enjoyed it!

PS Slade! Hot chicks weren't waving at you! Those were leprechauns! Youfve just been in the desert too long!
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:15 PM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

DJ,

ROTFLMAO!!!

You had me going, hook,line and sinker....Dohh!!
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:45 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Glad I could help you laugh Larry!

DJ
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:59 PM
JohnnyK
John Kruger
XD

Found a note on the window of the XD:

"Love the Land Rover
- guy with a landcruiser"

Still have that note on the BB.

John
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:54 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

ok, here is my list.
Toyota land rover
Toyota range rover
range rover
bronco
What the hell is this
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:06 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I once got into an argument with two guys at a bar who swore up and down that my Defender was made by Nissan?????
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Back when I owned a Disco, I parked in an empty lot on a sunny, hot Sunday to go for a bike ride. In order to keep the truck cool, I parked laterally across two parking slots under the shade of an oak tree.

When I returned from the ride, there was a post-it on the windscreen:

"Isn't it bad enough that you SUVs hog all the road, must you take all the shade too? You Pig-Dog."

I taped that post-it to the headliner between the sunshades and then forget to retrieve it when I gave the car back in to Land Rover. It was a treasure, shame to lose it cause it would be riding in my Defender today.

Doug W.
"Soon-to-be TVR-powered D110"
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:07 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

OK, this takes place last year on the way back from MAR. There were 3 of us traveling together on 95 north doing about 65mph because I had no rear brakes. We all had are CBs on, but I could not hear a thing because as normal I had the top off even though it was only 40 degrees out. If you have seen the MAR pics then you know my 90 was covered front to back in thick MUD. I did not learn of what happened until the next rest stop. On the same CB channel as us were a couple of truckers, they were talking about this muddy Disco that they just passed and how it must have come from a rally when one of them yells Holy $hit look at this guy! Hes got no top, no doors, and his truck is so muddy that even the dash is covered! They further discuss the crazy guy driving and his crazy vehicle.

On the same trip, we crossed the George Washington Bridge between NY and NJ. When I stopped to pay the toll the attendant just stared as his jaw dropped to the ground, now this guy is a New Yorker, and I though New Yorkers have seen everything. I had to get out and put the money in his hand! He was still staring as I drove away.

I received stares by every vehicle that was within 100 feet of me, hundreds of thumbs ups, tons of smiles, and not one disgruntled or pissed off look.

Even with my 90 clean at least once a week Im told what a cool truck, I am very surprised when someone comes up and says nice Rover. And yes there are plenty of chicks that check it out, more guys, and most guys driving stock jeeps pretend Im not there because they dont want to admit that the 90 is a much cooler ride.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:34 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Of all the "Cool Jeep" comments and blatant stares, my favorite story took place a couple of years ago. I'm driving up a fairly congested street just outside DC and stop at a light. Hear a horn honk next to me and look over to see a middle aged guy in what I swear was a barbie jeep: pink with luau stickers going down the side. He's waving, I turn down the stereo, he says " 1994 Defender 90, looks like those are 35s with a couple inches of lift, right?" With a plaintive look on his face. Suprised at his accuity, I respond that he's correct on every count. His eyes light up, he say's "Awesome!" looks at the hood of the barbie jeep, punches the dashboard and says "I hate this damn thing". Light turns green, off we go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thumbs up Very Cool Stories!!!

Although those types of comments are great, my favorite is driving the 90 to an event/party where there is Valet Parking. After the party, the valet attendant that picks up the 90 is always bound to take at least 10 minutes to start the truck trying to find the ignition

It's especially funny at night when the attendant finally makes it to the curb with no headlights on, but the blinker and the wipers are on..... LMFAO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90