Head turning D90 stories. - Page 9 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Jason, I'm north of Winston, just outside of Mount Airy. I'll be here for the most part until august. We should meet up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2005, 10:01 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Oh ok, well thats not to far a drive from my parents Mtn House in boone....i got your IM so ill see if i can bring the ole' 90 up there sometime....do yuo have yours with you

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:55 AM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I'm driving home from work last night, and as I coast towards a red light, I hear a horn honking...so I look over to see this guy (50-60 y/o) in a Turbo Cayanne waving frantically for my to lower my window...thinking, "Oh, crap, my D-90's probably on fire on something's fallen off it", I crank the window down...the guy (still coasting) yelled, "DO YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR CAR?!" Thinking he must mean, "YOUR CAR IS BURNING" or similar, I asked him to repeat...he said "SELL ME YOUR CAR!" I waved him off with a no, and a thumb's-up and said thank you...then at the red light he gave me a look like he was bummed I wouldn't sell...

Moral of the story...this weekend, for the first time ever, I waxed the D-90...two days later a guy in a Cayanne wants to buy it...want to sell your car? wax it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2005, 07:33 PM
R. chili
Rob Childress

Keep this post alive, its the best! I owed a '67 fire bird conv. and a '80 intl scout. The last ten years be driving my company vehicles and now I'm picking up my d-90 in to weeks. It's going to be great to have a car that is exclusive again. I love the respect that people have for this 4x4. Those that do not know, well, they just don't know! This should be another catagory on the web site.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:20 AM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Vey funny story I was going through the local wendy's and when i pulled up to the window the woman said "Aw HELL NA! Dat thing a Humma? Me, "Not quite." Her, "Dat thang must cost like 80,000 dallars" Me "nope not that much"
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Tezab_42
Terry Bonner

Different may be better...

As you can probably tell this is my baby and it gets alot of attention, Most chicks like it... But on the other hand you get some Pr*cks [Excuse me French] male and female that just take the piss/micky out of you which starts to get affencive.

From reading the posts on this trend shows to me that the american public are very funny and yet the english are some what abusive... if only i was in america.

Being a youngster i do hang round with all the 'boy racers' with their loud exhasts/ music. But when we drive around, iv noticed that although the girls look at them... As soon as they see my 'Beast' they dont care about the loudness of my mates cars all they do is oggle over mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beast.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	3542  
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:09 PM
loved90
Jay Love

Im a firefighter by proffession, and all firefighters think they are comedians. The first morning I drove the d90 to work, they called me Ace Ventura. I know they all really like it though, you can see it on their face. Several have jeeps like I used to have.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Doug Aitken
Doug Aitken
1995 D-90

Talking Hummer Helper

Our rover club has access to a property where the local LR dealer built an off-road course used for dealer events. To pump up the club kitty, we help the local Hummer dealer put on similar events for H-owners on the course. We all come out in our Rovers, give the H-owners basic instruction and marshall the course.

Last month, the track was pretty muddy and after the intro talk, the marshalls all jumped into their vehicles (many sporting tire covers we had made : "Hummer Recovery Vehicle") and tooled off around the track to their assigned positions.

The fun started when the Hummers (mostly H-2's, some H-3's and one brand new H1 with a Duratec diesel and allison transmission) started into the track, which starts with a short downslope. short sloppy flat ans a sharp, short climb. They made it down the drop, along the flat but every one had to be strapped up the first hill.......

And so it went round the track ,with rovers pulling hummers out of a few tricky spots

Anyway, the Hummer owners (all newbies) had a blast. Part of the problem was their stock AT tires, that went nowhere in the slick conditions. But the vehicles themselves are not really suited to anything but mall-crawling, with lousy visibility out their low windscreens ........

So after getting them round the track twice (it is only a couple of miles, but took all morning) we stopped for lunch (nicely set up in tents, tables and chairs - the whole nine yards). After lunch, things had dried out quite a bit and some of the H-gang were going to head home, while others wanted to stay and play, which brings me to the best part of this whole event.

We announced that the course was open, but there would be no marshalls on course (they had run it a couple of times and conditions were better, so no real need <G>). And our guys were heading out to do some more "fun" parts of the course that were off-limits to the Hummers!

One guy sitting at the next table announced in a loud voice to his wife and 10-yr old son "let's go!" to which his son (equally loud!) bleated out in a pained voice "Daaad: do you think we should? There will be no Land Rovers to pull us out when we get stuck....."

Makes me wonder how many more times the Hummer dealer will invite us to put on a Land Rover sales event for Hummer owners!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Thumbs up

That is awesome.....Wish i could have been there to see that...

Old September 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

O.K, it's really not a story, but I was pulling in to the local Auto zone for some Blue Loctite and the kid working is standing at the door and watches me pull the 90 right in Front. I jump out and he's was like "wow thats so Old School, what a throw back". I'm like dude its not a baseball jersey, it's a 95. I walk in thinking come on it's only 10 years old. Kid wasnt more than 20.

Same day, I am at the gas pump getting my $3.09 per gallon beating and another youngster pulls in and walks past me and goes "Dude, nice whip"!!! Too much MTV going on.

Kinda funny

Matt...
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:07 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I have never heard that qoute before. Thats funny. MTV is rotting that kids brain.

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:27 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I just got my D90 in June? I think it was, I have only clocked about 1800 miles on it... Anyays, I was on a little trip downtown one day to get some lunch, and I end up pulling into a parking spot RIGHT next to one of them new fangled Lamborghinis. I`m sitting there gawking at it... I mean, $300k... how can you not gawk. Anyways, while I am getting out of my truck I hear it beep, and the owner is walking towards it. He notices me staring at his ride, but before I get the chance to ask him about the Lambo he starts asking me what my car is and where he could get one. He also made some comment about how he hopes he never encounters my truck on the road because I could drive right over his Lambo. It was kinda funny.

Also, my D90 has 33" swampers on it, and the first time I parallel parked it I managed to rip off the bumper of the Saturn in front of me, without noticing. At all. I guess by the marks on the bumper that my tire cought the corner of it and I didn`t feel a thing
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Defender Compliments / Comments

Hi,

I know this mush happen to you all the time.......It is nice, every now and again, to comments about my Defender 90 out in public. It is Cool to know that my old Truck can still different cause different emotions and responses out of people.......I don't always get comments, but this weekend I drove my truck arround all weekend.............I got 3:

1) What year and model is that truck...........it is the coolest truck I have ever seen!

2) At a gas station a Discovery driver cruised by slowly, rooled down the window and yelled "REALLY NICE TRUCK!"

3) The funniest! A little 7-9 year old boy holding the hand of his mother pointed to my truck and said "Mom, He drove that truck from AFRICA!" I gave him the 'thumbs up' - I had never heard that one! Must have seen it on some cartoon or the Disney channel or something about africa? I thought that was pretty cool.

Just thought I would pass along some fun news...........

Flagg
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I was sitting outside the grocery store waiting while my wife was inside and a woman came out of the store, looked around and saw my Defender and walked over and said "you have the coolest car in the whole lot".

My favorite exchange was with another woman in a parking lot where we had both just pulled in next to each other. As I got out of the Land Rover she stopped and pointed at my truck and asked:

"What's that thing?"

I answered "its a Snorkel".

She said "But what is it for?"

I said "It allows the truck to run under water".

With a puzzled look on her face she said - "Does that happen often?"
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My favorite are the waves I get from the villanova undergrad girls . . . :-)
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:59 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
What?! no panties?
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Or when I was at a gas station, and the guy who had pulled up next to me got out and asked "Hey - is that the new Hummer H3??"
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Flagg, happens all the time. Lot of people here in SoCal want to know what Jeep model it is. I have my 7 yr girl trained to respond appropriately "This is a Land Rover, a Jeep is a baby Land Rover. But thank you for noticing my truck. " I told her she could have it when she turns 18.
On the rare occasions my wife drives the D-90, she gets lots of reaction. Always comes home smiling about all the waves and such. (I on the other hand am in the driveway checking the fluids, and general all round well being of the green machine.)
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive gotten the hummer a few times. most people just kinda stare dumb founded. Even the one or two folks Ive met in traffic have kinda looked at me with a deer in headlights look
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
All reasons why when i get my 110 back from Pendy, the first thing I'm going to do to it is put those big 16" Land Rover logo oval stickers on the rear quarter panels. When I get asked, I'll just point and drive off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90