1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2004, 09:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Glenn, I've been meaning to tell you your rig looks cute...
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:24 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

On the way to work this morning, I was going at freeway speed 55/60 or so...and this little POS Korean car merges into traffic. She was in the lane next to me, going 40/45, and she turned on her turn signal...as getting a Defender going fast is a chore, I wasn't about to slow down to let her in just because it was flashing; let her get to speed first, I figure.

Without looking, she started to merge into my lane, saw A car, and abruptly moved back into her lane. Without really seeing my car, she throws up her hand and shakes a fist, and I could see her cursing at me inside the car. She still hadn't looked over, so she had no idea...

As I pulled aside, she turns her head towards my Defender ready to yell, middle finger half curled into "The Bird", then her eyes start at mid-door and slowly scan upwards...past the window and on up. She had that same look that someone does when they pick a fight in a bar, and the guy starts to stand up...and as he keeps rising you realize, he's not 5'8" or 5'10" or 6'0" or 6'2", but CRAP, he's 6'8" and 300 lbs.

She quickly rolled her finger back into her fist, closed her mouth, and stepped on it--not looking back.

I love my D-90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

lol!
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:36 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Torrence,
Thats a good one.....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Driving to work about a month a go, I had a Discovery come burning up from behind me and next thing I know the passenger is hanging out his window snapping pictures of my truck! I played along and they ended up getting shots from I think every angle front to back.

Of course there was also the guy at the gas station. "Nice truck, reminds me of a D-90". He had the funniest look on his face when I explained WHY it reminds him of a D-90.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
HAd the 90 out today some redneck said it was garbage and they stopped importing them because no one wanted them.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:18 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

To which you responded, "I challenge thee to fisticuffs?!"
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:47 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

What a Dumb Ass......

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:28 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Gotta love rednecks.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old August 18th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

That happened to me in Michigan last weekend. Funny thing was the guys girlfriend pulls up and procedes to compliment the 90. I replied "Sure beats driving a beat up lifted toyota" Guy scowls at me and throwes his huffy in his toy and huffs off. Best part was the gun rack with no guns!

Rednecks gotta love them.

EwS
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:54 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
Everyone is amazingly positive here - always getting interesting and approving looks - but maybe more as it's right hand drive.

Even all the die-hard Jeep fans are nice about it. And all agree that unmodified a 90 out does a TJ off road anyday - just there's so much more available for Jeeps to make them decent/excellent off road. A big difference has to be that the Land rover SW90 is a utility vehicle and the TJ is well, I am not sure really. You can't put half a ton of gravel in the back of a TJ. Or move 4 kids. Or 2 mountain bikes (with the wheels off). Unmodified TJs are not much better than a regular SUV off road, and a hell of a site worse on road. Rubicon excepted. Maybe Chrysler recognise that Jeeps will either be used by poseurs as is, or be modified by the off road nut. Come to think about it even Rubicons are too low to the ground.

Another right hand drive aspect is that at the traffic lights you can have chats with other drivers easily! One gag is to just act normally, say nothing, wait for someone to notice the wheel is on the right then exclaim "OH MY GOD THE WHEEL IS ON THE WRONG SIDE". Then act normal again. Anything to amuse.

Remember once stopping for food ont he way back from wheeling and me and about 5 jeeps pull into the car park. About six girls, all about 16, walk straight up to me and ask all sorts of things about the 90 (apart from the inevitable cool/awesome stuff) totally ignoring all the highly modified Jeeps. Made my day! Should have had the 90 30 years ago....
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Yesss!!

Keith....That is the kind of story I want to experience.....lots of young hotties ogling my Rover and ignoring the average Joe with his Jeep.

I have had similar things happen but not quite that good...did you offer to take them for a ride in a real mans vehicle?? I would have..(with appropriate chaperones of course)

Hahahaaaaa!

Larry
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:47 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

and I quote:

".......That is the kind of story I want to experience.....lots of young hotties ogling my Rover and ignoring the average Joe with his Jeep..."

Larry, How old are you ?

Pass that will ya' ...

Nicholas

Old August 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Jeeps are the biggest POS. I bought my wife a new 04 wrangler sahara. Tried to talk her into getting a 90, or atleast a disco, but she wanted a new ST. Anyway, they come with a 70,000 mile drivtrain warranty. Guess what, if you install aftermarket suspension on the truck, and the dealer doesn't do it for you, the warranty is worthless. Just another ploy to get $60/hour for something you could do yourself. I was going to put a long arm suspension and 33's on her truck till I found out about this BS. When I asked the reason for this, they said that alot of trucks had come in with leaking pinion seals. What a friggin' joke. Sorry to get off topic, just making sure none of you guys break down and buy a new jeep for the sig. other.

Chris
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:13 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Lots of stares at the beach with my 270lb's of Swissy's in the back.

The best was one night at a nice, local restaurant where we had just sat down out front to eat dinner. The Defender was parker amongst the bmw's, mercede's, lexi, etc when a brand new Lexus/Toyota Landcruiser speeds by my D90 rather quickly and out of sight. Seconds later I hear the whine of something in reverse. Back into view comes the Landcruiser speeding in reverse, then stopping right in front of the defender. The guy driving hopes out, car running in the middle of the parking lot and proceeds to check out the car in and out for about 5 minutes before hopping back in and speeding off. Cool!!!
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Here's a new one that happened last week at my job's parking lot. Got the D90 with the top off and I was pulling out of my spot to go home and this idiot (yes idiot, you'll see) pulls his pickup truck in front of me... I had to hit the brakes hard. He gets down and walks towards me... he goes...

idiot: Dude, sorry I had to stop... couldn't resist seeing these things without talking to the owner.
me: Okay...??? What's up man?
idiot: I betcha this thing is tough as fu@%, isn't? (all giddy and bubbly)
me: I suppose so...
idiot: What year is this?
me: It's a 94
idiot: Oh man, mine is newer... it's a 1996.
me: A 96?!
idiot: Yeah... a 96, got it brand new from the dealer.
me: Cool man... good for you...
idiot: Yeah... I take it off-roading all the time.
me: That's great man... listen I gotta go.
idiot: Yeah...sure..., oh by the way..
me: [sigh]
idiot: Have you seen the new Baby Range Rovers?
me: Baby Range Rovers?
idiot: Yeah... the small rovers...
me: Do you mean the Freelander?
idiot: No, it looks just like the $70K RR but smaller, like the size of the Freelander.
idiot: It's also more expensive than the $70K RR because they're back-ordered for 6 mos
me: Okay....???!!! No man, haven't heard about them
idiot: Well, I just bought my wife one of them and she really loves it....
me: Good man... that's great... gotta go now.... would you mind moving your truck?
idiot: Sure man.... Have a good one...
me: You too....

That is by far the strangest conversation I've had with another person regarding Rovers.

***Reminder to wannabes, please get your facts straight before you spout these kinds of B/S. LOL

Old September 15th, 2004, 11:05 AM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
no doubt Mr Wannabee is referring to the Range Rover Storm. what an idiot.
Old September 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Evidently, he's been reading too much Motor Trend magazines....LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90