Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Yeah so for Dave takes the prize.
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2004, 05:02 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

SO...this Sunday, for Mother's Day, my girlfriend and I meet her parents at a nice restaurant, and I valet before they arrive. They've heard of my car, but they've never seen it.

The valet parks it right in front, it's spotless and looking good.

When we come out, we're saying our goodbyes, the guy pulls it up and opens the doors. My girlfriend's Dad says, "Wow. This is really nice." Before I could reply, the valet said...these EXACT words, "No, sir. It's not nice, it is THE most capable offroad vehicle in the world--and I drive them ALL."

I told him he sounded like a LR adversitement, and I asked him what he really knew about all of these cars, seeing as he got to drive them less than 100 yards...across a flat piece of asphalt.

He said, "Oh, I know." The reverence was funny.
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Our club (SCLR) functioned as support vehicles for the Rim of the World Rally this weekend. I had a team of Rovers with me, sweeping the mountain stages for wrecks and disabled rally cars after each run. We pull into a station Saturday morning to gas up the caravan. Guys says, "Who do you work for, National Geographic?"
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:46 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

not nearly as good as Dave's but...

yes, Dave's takes the prize... priceless. I must say that I'm going to use that Dave... again and again... Thank you.

I get a lot of looks here in town, especially from the cutie pie FSU girls... and the sometimes "... is that there Jeep new... where I can I get me one ?..." (I'm a yankee <NJ!!!> so the southern draw always entertains me) ...

But the one that really stopped me in my tracks one day was from my 'girlfriend's girlfriend'.... who said very bluntly:
(mind you the D90's got the safari rack etc...)

"... You must have a really nice set of luggage to get a rack like that..."

I thought it was stupid, and it was, but it stopped me for a second then I got a laugh out of it.

Just my .01 cent

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:27 AM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

A guy at work wants me to get the magnetic letters, "UN"...at least once a week he says it looks like a peacekeeping vehicle.

It might be a funny little thing...
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:50 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Good luck getting those magnetic signs to stick.;0)

Larry
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:03 PM
BOMB334
Joe Dougherty
1995 Defender 90

My Favorite line yet recieved as I was picking up a friend who hadn't seen the D90 yet "Where's the war?"
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:12 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Great stories.

I get totally different reactions to my 110. It's not very nice looking right now, in fact I think it's downright ugly. With British camo paint flaking off and having a noisey, smelly deisel most of the more respectable members of society ussually give me the scoul as I drive by; which is almost as fun as getting the waves and thumbs up. I love the look on people's faces when they find out how much my ugly truck is worth and what it's capable of.

The other day my wife and I were coming out of the local gym and three little girls were playing around my truck, when we opened the doors, I heard the girls yell to each other "oooo they own that ugly truck" and then the mother gave me the usual scowl. We had to laugh because they then proceeded to get into a Mazda MPV that had a good case of cancer around the wheel wells. I would have loved to tell her that my truck is worth twice as much as hers.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I had a guy and his lady in a brand new(temp tags) Porsche 911 Turbo(170,000) slow down and give me a thumbs up on the highway on Saturday. Still no panties thrown my way damn it.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:56 AM
Doug Young
Douglas Young
'95 D-90 #2710 & 140K mi.

Smile Love all these post!

I'm a newer D-90 owner ( bought my '95 in 2001 from a rancher in California) and have been reading this great web site for years.

The one story that I do have is that just after bought my defender, I proudly parked in front of the fire station -right beside my friend's new jeep wrangler- this jeep was decked out to the hilt with all the bells and whistles too. No lie.... I had two women come to the door of the fire station that day and ask what really cool type of vehicle was parked next to the jeep. A third came by the next day and had to tell me all about her adventures in a trusty D110 in Africa and she was determined to buy either a 90 or 110 by the end of the year. The guys at the fire station could not believe it. We just laughed- ( even the guy with the jeep)! Too bad we were all married!
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:35 PM
MDNIBTY
Wally Dalton
95 d-90

Angry

Once times i was sittin at a stop lite and this big new dodge was pulled up besad me. It was probly sittin on 38" swampers. Was reel big reel loud to. the dood drivin looked down and said nice little truck boy. when the lite turned green he stomped on it and smoked all 4 wheels. i didnt feel that good about my d-90 that day.
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDNIBTY
Once times i was sittin at a stop lite and this big new dodge was pulled up besad me. It was probly sittin on 38" swampers. Was reel big reel loud to. the dood drivin looked down and said nice little truck boy. when the lite turned green he stomped on it and smoked all 4 wheels. i didnt feel that good about my d-90 that day.
Hmm, not really unexpected coming from a local in Medford. I've had my share of "run-in's" with a few of them up at lost creek and hyatt. Jerks.
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You should have said "to bad for you, my Defender is one of the coolest, vehicles on the road right from the factory; you had to put a lift big tires and all kinds of other stuff in your truck just to make it a little cool. Then point him to the Disco web, a few months back there were some pics of a stock Disco pulling out a monster of a Dodge!

Most guys around me either know what a Defender is, or the guy sitting passenger knows what it is, I get either a thumbs up and "hey cool Rover" or the jealous look of envy. Then you ask them what trails they have run, and then tell them all the trails that you have run in your Defender and they say no you couldn't have made it through that trail with that! Then you show them and really impress them! People are always amazed at how well the suspension articulates. They see it happen once and they stop what ever it is they are doing and watch!

I meet a guy in a jeep with 38s on the trail once, he let me go in front just so he could watch my 90, he thought it was quiet impressive, believe it or not but I could gracefully drive though the stuff he was bouncing all over.

So, go out on the trail, get some pics and next time you see your buddy in the big dodge show him what your Defender can do, you'll put him in his place!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

i was drving home on th 93 in the center lane,traffic came to a halt and the guy in a car on the outside lane was leaning over his passenger seat looking up trying to make out what the snorkel was on my D2,traffic started moveing and i pulled away he also pulled away, his lane wasnt moving
and he hit the car in front
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I had a guy here at WCU tell me that his stock jeep would kick the shit out of my D-90 on any trail around here.....Still waiting on him to call for an afternoon trail ride....

I also had a guy cross 4 lanes of traffic while straining to look at my defender. Luckily he didn't kill himself or someone else...lol

Quite often instead of walking from the dorms to class i would just drive...One day i dropped my roomate off at his building and girl was standing outside with a professor and asked him the usual "is that a jeep". To my surprise the professor started going into a lot of details abuot what it was....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:12 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

WCU = West Chester Univ, Pa.? You be right up the road from me.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:01 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Chris,
WCU=Western Carolina University....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Okay folks, here's a new one that I've never heard of before. I've heard "Bad-ass truck", "Hard Core", "very industrial looking" and even "cool Jeep" before but quite frankly, am even a bit embarrased about this one but here goes...

I was at Home Depot last Saturday buying some stuff for my renovation project and as I get in the topless D90 to pull out, this Pathfinder pulls in the spot next to me. The driver was looking at the truck and signalling me to wait while he was trying in a hurry to get out. He gets out before I pull out and the conversation went like this:

stranger (heavy accent - sounds middle eastern): "Excuse me sir, what kind of truck is this?"
me: "Uh, it's a Land Rover"
stranger: "Ah, I see, Land Rover... who makes, what makes Land Rover....Toyota?"
me: (not wanting to argue): "Yes... Toyota...right"

Now here comes the bomb...

stranger: "Ah, Toyota Land Rover....VERY CUTE....CUTE CAR sir"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90