Head turning D90 stories. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110
I live in the land of valets -- Los Angeles. Valets LOVE the Defender. These guys, who park Ferraris and Porsches as a matter of routine, see the 110 pull up and their jaws drop. All grins. I guess they are so used to exotics that they usually have no trouble finding the wrong-side-to ignition tho!

Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:24 PM
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers
D-90 Source Vendor
Funny thing happened to me this morning in the 80-inch (it's my Defender 80).

Was taking it around for a test drive after 'tweaking' some things this morning. Two guys in a red CJ-5 pass me as I'm turning around in a parking lot and they both crane their necks around.

I caught up to them about 2 lights down and they were checking out the truck and giving me the 'peace' sign.

I said, "Hey hows it goin'?"

All they could do was smile.

I gotta drive that truck more.

EDIT: Thanks for the new sig. DJ! Ha!

Michael Slade
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold
"most guys driving stock jeeps pretend Im not there because they dont want to admit that the 90 is a much cooler ride."

That is absolutely true.....I thought I was the only one who noticed this. You are a riot!!

I also Valet at times and the same thing with the ignition happens to me. They also can't figure out how to get out of it. I LOVE MY d90!
Great place to buy Rover parts: www.europeanpartsllc.com
Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
1997 Hardtop
This cute young girl sees the D-90 one night outside a bar, and I heard her say to her grilfriends, "Oh my god, how rad! Those things cost like ninety-thousand dollars!" As I walked up to it, I totally understood why guys buy sports cars that cost a ton of money...I knew I was at least a foot taller, younger and better looking because she thought I dropped major $$$s on the D-90.

I also had a valet once say that mine was the first G-Wagon that he'd seen with a rack on top!
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:14 PM
93 NAS 110
One time I had a lady ask me if I had painted my "jeep" to match my dog (Alpine white D-90 w/surrey top)!

Another time I left the Wife and dog in the D-90 as I ran into the store. When I came out, my Wife told me how an older guy came up and said when he gets divorced, he's getting a truck and a dog just like that.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Joey C.
97 Disco 5-sp
Not a D90, but in my DI.

I took a trip out to Death Valley a while back and everytime I stopped at a gas station or was getting back into my Disco someone would approach me and comment about my Disco. One guy even talked for a whole 15 minutes. Ended up being a Q&A session.

I had a MiniCooper incident once too. The four people in the Mini all turned their heads in unison to look at the Disco.

And the usual comments and questions:

"What kind of Land Cruiser is that?"

"What is that you are driving?"

"You must of paid a ton for your Ranger Rover!"

"WOW! You can get a Discovery in a 5-speed manual?"
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW
I've noticed that my hybrid 90 doesn't seem to attract nearly as much attention as my Series IIA. That changed yesterday.

I noticed a guy watching me pull into a parking space, and when I got out, he commented that I was driving on the wrong side (RHD). I told him the effect is even better when I have a dog riding shotgun. Then he told me he used to drive Defenders in the Israeli army, using words like "awesome" and "go anywhere."

Later I was following a nice, shiny Disco into a parking lot, and I saw the driver craning his neck to look back at me as I drove behind him and parked in the next space. When I got out, he held out his keys and said, "I'll trade you." I wasn't quick enough to ask if I would have to take his wife and kids, too, so it was a simple, "No, thanks!" He said that he had a 1982 Series III when he was in Sweden, and he just loved the Diesels.

I drew a little unwanted attention a couple of weeks ago, as I was returning from Canada, where I had the 2.5 N.A. Diesel replaced with a 200 Tdi by Britannica Restorations. The U.S. Customs agent I dealt with just happened to own an 88 and a 109, so he was pretty suspicious about why I was entering the U.S. with a very British looking Defender. It's really a hybrid based on a 1975 Range Rover with a mostly 300 Tdi body, so, after verifying my registration, he let me go on my way.
John Karlsson
Hope Valley, RI
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892
The waving and stares are great, but my fav. was when I parked beside a guy in a white jeep at Atlantic Beach and heard him say "that mother f*@#er" I get lot of stuff like that from Jeep owners.
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243
Gotta share this story--

Home Depot Parking Lot. I always park away from the crowd to reduce the door dings. Two spots beside me was a brand new Disco II, so new it had temp plates. As I get out, the owners of the Disco-youg couple 35ish- are walking up with their basket of weekend hell. I take a few steps their way make eye contact with the guy and give him the "nice car"comment. He says thanks. Then the woman just goes off! "IS THAT A DEFENDER!!!!.... We saw one in the lot!..... I JUST LOVE THEM!!!!..... Can I look inside?!!!". She completely drops the arm load of garden stuff and walks over. Hubby is then left to load the grocery getter by himself. She is looking at everything, asking about the jump seats, does it have anti-lock brakes?, the works. She waits until Hubby has loaded the car and deposited the cart, then says "Hey (insert hubbies name) come over here and look at THIS!.

He makes a half ass attempt to walk over, from about 10 feet he says "Yes its nice, we gotta get going"

The look in his eye was priceless. He just spent $40K on the Disco II and got neutered in the parking lot at Home Depot.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil

Too funny!
Arthur M Vigil
Colorado, USA Native
Former owner of:
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
My 4 yr old used to confuse every jeep she saw on the road with my D-90 (hey she is only 4) so I told her the Jeep was really a baby Land Rover waiting to grow up. One day we are just leaving the hardware store and a Jeep pulls up into the spot next to us. Quick as a flash she literally yells, "Look Daddy, that baby Jeep thinks your Land Rover is its Mommy." Now that was a dirty look I got from the driver.
I'm contemplating thinking about thinking about it!
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Mike, that is priceless!
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
LOL! those are some good stories!
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW
Great stories, I've got one and I can't decide if the joke was on me or the girls....

I was sitting at Blockbuster parked near the movie dropoff box, getting ready to leave. A black Mitsubishi Montero pulled in front of me so I had to wait for it move before I could get out.

A really good looking girl, about 18 or 19 got out to drop off her movies while her passenger stayed in the vehicle. Well this sort of got my attention even though I am 48. After putting her videos in the drop slot she turned around to look at me smiling real big.

She kept smiling until she opened her car door. I had my windows rolled down and as she got into her Mitsub I heard her say to her girl friend, " Oh! he's ooold! " after seeing my 48 year old head.

Surprise, ha ha haha!

Now every time I get it out on the street I notice mostly younger girls looking into my window as they drive by trying to see what "young guy with the big Jeep" might be driving. Since it is a hardtop I can hide behind the door post on my side, so that I can look out and catch them looking up.

Imagine their disgust when they see my old head with bags under my eyes looking back at them smiling.

It seems to happen more often since I have mounted 35x12.5 tires and lifted it about 3 inches.

People of all ages seem really intrested when I have passengers in the back with the 4 inward facing seats.

Hope it doesn't sound like my ego is getting stroked, although I guess it is, it's just funny to watch human nature.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Michael D. Milliken
Palm Beach...Mind you, I had to put an ad in the paper to find someone with a pickup...
I pass a girl/lady outside the posho market one friday evening and she smiles after I tell her it's closed and offer her a little of my stromboli (seriously!).
She is double parked right in front and when I get around the corner she sees me driving, with like 3people parked in and 3 driving behind, gives me the "thats sweet" out the window of her 120K BMW...not even able to move.
I actually loaned off a piece of my truck today to pay off those CC's. The guy could have shit at the credit union when he asked, what year was my truck and then said forget it. It came up 24 and he just gave me the "whatever you know", "here's the $".
He did think no AC in south FL was a bit rediculous.
I think the roof tent adds a new complex to non-rover owners.
I get a lot about that.
About a 16 year old Oly, WA girl get's the cake though.
She knew it was a 95 when I told her and asked if that was the last year for mannual trannny.
Gotta end with tranny.....more wine.Peace Funny shit.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Chris von C
No Defender at this time
My little additions, nothing fancy...

- We frequent the mall a few block away when ever we need something and the single most asked question I used to get with the Disco was "Hey you going on safari with that?" usally asked in jest in passing but after I replied with "Actually yes, I do" would turn into a 15 minute conversation of where we had gone with it.

- Parking the Disco and D90 side by side in our driveway have been the direct cause of 2 seperate accidents in front of our house from people rubber necking them and not noticing the people in front of them stopping to make a left turn.
Chris von C

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90
I love kids, they always say the funnies things and they get away with it.

Not a D90 story but once I was biking with my son and his trailer was attached to my bike, so I got behind this old lady so I had to slow down. As most kids like to go fast my son ask's me, why are we going slow dady? so I tell him quietly I'm stuck behind an old lady, and he goes HEY OLD LADY, MOOOVE He almost brought a tear to my eye
World traveler
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4
Open for Mr. Defender!

My latest story is concerning a night I was driving home late from work and wanted to stop at a Mexican restaurant for a bite and a beer. I notice the open light is off and they are apparently closing up. I know they are supposed to be open until Midnight but that is still 45 minutes away. I pull up braodside to one of the windows(Of course noticing how cool my D90 looks with the full cage and the bikini/Bimini top on for the first day ever:0) I see several of the guys inside motioning me to come in. I park go in and these guys say there is still time.

I eat a quick bite and two of the guys have to come out and check it out as I leave. They are making comments about how sweet the ride is and it is "tight" "badass" and several other comments in Spanish etc.

With all of the extra costs we incur to own one of these vehicles it is nice to get the ongoing shows of appreciation from people.

Visit the Land Rover Beer Bar,"The Best Beer Bar X Far!"
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM
1995 SW #487/500
Some chick gave me free chicken today at Bojangles I was on the D-90... I think that had something to do with it.
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Re-Fendered 90
When I drive I have to keep the windshield wipers on constantly so all the panties that are thrown at me don't block my view.

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks www.rovertracks.com
PSC www.racesteering.com
DJ Safety www.djsafety.com
West Coast Rovers www.westcoastrovers.com
Reel Driveline www.reeldriveline.com

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d90