Head turning D90 stories. - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I've only had a jeep owner come up on me once and give me attitude. but since then, if I notice a Jeep or any other truck that looks like they are an off roader I will usually smile and give a thumbs up or go right up to them and talk about trucks or wheelin. when you approach them and show them you are interested in them they usually are nice back and you get into a great conversation.

remember we drive Land Rovers. we are educated and can rise above people that think less of others. We can control the situation easy, when we make the first positive move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
For the record, that was my first negative reaction. Most of the time it's 80% rubber neckers with no other response, and 20% enthusiastic admiration and support (thumbs up and such). A month ago, I was at our annual Steeple chase horse race which draws a huge tailgate crowd on the greens. My guard unit had a bradley there, and when I showed up, my 110 received almost as much attention as the bradley.

Also for the record, I've had a CJ7 almost my whole life. Spent most of my adolescence trying to make it a rover (expedition type work). I did learn over time that it is much easier to get a rover, then try to make a jeep a rover. I have never experienced anything negative from a CJ or from cherokees, toyotas, or anything else other than Wranglers. And you can just look at a 4wd vehicle that has aftermarket upgrades, and easily tell if they knew what they were doing or not when setting it up. If they setup their vehicle properly to be functional, they seem to always give you respect, because defender's have earned and are entitled to that international respect. The F'd up wranglers, that start every upgrade with "how it looks" as the starting criteria for spending daddy's money, is the devil's work that creates the "who's rig is better because the chicks are looking" that I think drives that jealousy/animosity. (Ok, let's just leave it as jealousy)

On a positive note, the most avit and excited onlookers that I always seem to get are couples in their 20-30's in Disco I & II's. Saw one today getting on the freeway-an entire GenX family in a Disco II holding up traffic on the onramp, waving their hands in the air and pointing at my 110. That's what the hell I'm talking about-feelin' the love.
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

Nothing bad has happened to me so far. Last week I had a very cute girl in a red jeep flash me a big grin and a wave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

On the way to work this morning I came to an intersection at the bottom of the hill. The light was red so I stopped. As I came to a stop the light turned green. I then take off slowly and proceed through the intersection. A guy in an older foreign hatchback does the "I need to get around you and make it obvious" maneuver.

Now, I donít mind being passed (I get passed a lot), and because Iím driving a tall, slow vehicle but how the guy did it was what got me. As the guy made his Ďpassí, I spoke aloud: ďOoh, youíre SO much faster!Ē

I then watch the car drive to the next intersection and turn right. Eventually I make it to the same right turn. About 150-200 feet ahead of me, I see the heís sitting at a red light, behind a dump truck in the right lane. I see my opportunity to switch to the left lane (which is clear) and to my luck, the light turns green. I drive right by him, satisfied with my attempt to drive and inefficient vehicle in the most efficient manner possible. As I drive by, I see heís flipping me the bird.

I guess it must be easy to read a driverís lips the windshield. I should be careful of what I say, unless I really mean it.

I suppose I could check my attitude regarding my reaction to his passing me. I guess it was one of those mornings.

Maybe it IS a coastal thing?
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your defender. I think he's just a chump that was late to lousy job, driving an embarrasing car. More self hatred than envy.
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:57 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I think he's just a chump that was late to lousy job, driving an embarrasing car. More self hatred than envy.
Good one, some people are just miserable cranks.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
I wonder if the FOREIGN car factor comes into play. Some people don't like non-American made vehicles. Kind of like the Chevy/Ford thing.
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I don't think so. There's too many Asian vehicles on the road, to just hate us. If that was the case, then that tells me that people aren't over the war of independence, but have totally let Pearl Harbor go.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
As I drive by, I see heís flipping me the bird.
Maybe it IS a coastal thing?
This reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine on C-470 last summer, but after the guy flips him the bird, he pulls up, rolls down his window, then proceeds to verbally abuse the "slower driver" My buddy proceeds to throw his full cup of chew spit through this assholes window at 55 mph.

Iím sure it left a LASTING impression.
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimngo
Last week I had a very cute girl in a red jeep flash me a big grin and a wave.
I actually get a lot of cute girls waving or smiling at me.... you know.. flashing me, throwing their panties at me... oooohh its so hard being such a handsome guy in a Defender, hahahaha
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

So a buddy & I take the 90 to go climb a 14er last Saturday. Just as we're getting ready to head out, a nice, old Scout goes by. I say Hi and he says (in bad British accent) "I say, do you have a spot of tea?". I ignored his comment and said "Nice Scout". Anyway, after talking a while, he ends up climbing with us. After climbing a while, he admits that he's always wanted a Defender and that "they're the best!".

So I'm guessing that it's not actually hate but jealousy...

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:21 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimngo
Nothing bad has happened to me so far. Last week I had a very cute girl in a red jeep flash me big--------
Now that what I'm talking bout'

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
97Ariesblu
kyle scheppler
1997/D-90 Station Wagon

some jeep owners hate and some appreciate its all about the jealously factor...all i know is that I get love for the D-90 from everyone in my town including the jeep owners and actually especially the new FJcruiser owners love the D-90 SW because they have the same sort of two-tone look with body and top..and the D-90 looks way better than that P.O.S. ...now all i need is a girl to flash me
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:17 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I got the classic this weekend in upstate NY. "Dude, are you on safari?" Followed quickly by the same guy with: "I use to have an FJ40 but had to give it up because of the cost of gas..." He was driving one of those caddy catera's. It was the strangest experience.
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Oh ya, I know that classic one. I was with my buddy somewhere in BFE kansas, on the way home to carolina after picking up "my precious" from Pendy's skunkworks. We stop at a gas station for some on the road snacks and beverages, and as we walk in to the gas station, the 3 clerks in there ask "are y'all going on a safari or something?". After about 10-15 seconds of silence, while I'm pondering if they are joking or stupid (in the middle of kansas), I of course answer "No, maybe later". Then they asked what kind of car it was. Given that 90% of americans don't know what a Defender or a 110 is, that is when I decided that as soon as I get home, I'm going to order a pair of the largest rover ovals I can find to stick on the sides of my rig, so that I can reduce the question volume by at least 50%, and leave no doubts that it is not a Jeep, nor a Toyota, nor a car made by a company called "Safari".
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
After about 10-15 seconds of silence, while I'm pondering if they are joking or stupid (in the middle of kansas)
Come on now, not all Kansans are that dumb. We've almost got that evolution thing figured out now.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
No offense meant. I was referring to the assumption on their part that we were on safari in the middle of kansas, or perhaps they thought we were enroute from to Kenya via Kansas. Regardless, I can tell you this, they asked it sincerely- it was not a joke to them.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

ha. yesterday I was showing my truck to a potential buyer in San Jose, and we were parked in a Safeway parking lot, and this ridiculously cute 20 something girl drives up in a brand new jeep wrangler. The lot is maybe half full, and she ends up parking right next to the D90. I`m talking to the guy when she gets out, and she walks around it, checks it out, has this huge grin on her face and just says "awesome" and walks away. I left her a note and my number, we`ll see what happens.

The only other time it`s really drawn attention from girls is besides getting stared down is once while stuck in traffic on 101 southbound in Hollywood, 4 girls in a gold Toyota Camry with Iowa plates roll up along my drivers side. We keep rolling past eachother as the traffic slowly moves forward, they cant be older than 18-20, and they are all dancin around in the car, blastin the music, and i`m just sorta minding my own business. probably 10-15 minutes later the the car honks, the decently cute redhead in the passengers seat yells nice jeep and the 3 passengers flash me. That was good times. No panties thrown though.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
you win...
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
probably 10-15 minutes later the the car honks, the decently cute redhead in the passengers seat yells nice jeep and the 3 passengers flash me. That was good times. No panties thrown though.

Pffffff.

I got that beat.

I was driving downtown Portland Oregon in the Defender when I ran into the biweekly war/animal/bicycle protesters. They yelled obscenities at me like "nice SUV earth killer, compensating for something you dick, & you ran over richard man!!!" They also spat on the truck and pounded the glass as they yelled some more at me, but I couldn't hear over the drums and the crackling megaphone. It sounded like the background noise to a Pink Floyd album. Turns out they were upset because thier point man had his head stuck between the tire and front outrigger of the D90. Evidently his name was richard too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90