Head turning D90 stories. - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

These really need to be added to the "head turning D-90 stories" thread. I go re-read that one now and then just 'cause it's so damn good.....
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Been there. Was in front of a caravan of rigs headed to Winter Romp this past Feb. and some dude after the Maine tolls got pissy and threw something (must have been coins) at my truck. Couldn't figure out why but he nearly ran into the divide at the next exit while trying accomplish his throw. made for some good cb bantor.
Too Bad he didn't actually run into the divider, that would have been both poetic and well deserved..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Definitely. He was a little hefty driving a ford ranger. Took him more effort than most to get whatever it was, roll down the window, steer, aim and throw left-handed all while exiting as I passed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Must be an East Coast thing.

Never has anyone acted derogatory at the truck.

I usually get the guys that look but donít want to be seen looking (head snap thing).

More often than not I get the thumbs up from jeep guys.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen
Must be an East Coast thing.

Never has anyone acted derogatory at the truck.

I usually get the guys that look but donít want to be seen looking (head snap thing).

More often than not I get the thumbs up from jeep guys.
This.

I've never had anyone comment or act badly towards my truck either. This weekend I made a run to Lowe's and when I came out I had an older guy call me over to his car across from mine. He told me that a couple guys were walking all around my truck and taking all kinds of cellphone pics for about 10 minutes then hopped into a Jeep and left. He was afraid they had hurt it or something. I explained to him that my car gets that sometimes and not to worry. I don't think he understood and I didn't feel like explaining.

The worst I've ever had is not getting a wave back from a lifted Jeep.

Remind me not to visit the East Coast.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

This is both frightening and funny. Testosterone can explain
this kind of behaviour.
We don't get this kind of thing down here, mostly people say
that i'm crazy to own a such hideous truck ... I love people....
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

He prolly lost his best girl to a defender owner.

Suck to be him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
Annecdote for all of you; I'm sure some can relate.

I"m coming home from work earlier this week in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I'm moving about 2 miles per hour in a long line of cars on this 4-lane-to-2-lane convergence. Normally this doesn't bother me, as I enjoy watching everyone google at my 110. About 200 meters in front of me, there's this Wrangler (I could stop right now and at least half of you would know how this story ends), that pulls out from a local off limits but abused utility trail (teen wheeling spot) and crosses traffic about 10 cars ahead of me. The wrangler is lifted, with an abuse of stickers, a poor lift, and wire whip 10 foot CB antennae (which is so long that I'm sure it B*tch slapped him on the way home), driven by this lone punk around 18-21 years old I figure. I don't give him any visual recognition, so I just notice him out of the corner of my eye. As he crosses my lane ahead of me and turns into oncoming traffic, racing so as not to get rear ended by about 20 other cars behind him that had to slow down, he rubber necks to me, leans out his half door, starts yelling something at me (my windows up with a/c on, so couldn't hear him at all) and then manages to whip out the biggest finger/bird I've seen in a while right at me, almost losing control of his Wranger in the process.

Do we bring out the worst in these people or what? That has got to be the worst form of jealousy (my theory) I've seen in a while.

For those reading this post that don't have a defender but are considering one, ask yourself this: do you want to be the guy flipping the bird to the defender, or receiving the bird in a defender?

I'm enthusiastically awaiting my next bird salute. It sucks to want.

P.S. Pendy, by proxy, this guy hates you too!!! Thanks again for everything

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Been there. Was in front of a caravan of rigs headed to Winter Romp this past Feb. and some dude after the Maine tolls got pissy and threw something (must have been coins) at my truck. Couldn't figure out why but he nearly ran into the divide at the next exit while trying accomplish his throw. made for some good cb bantor.
Dave you are too nice, I would have beat his ass.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I run into all sorts of crap here in California (got more of it in southern California than I do in Northern California though). My favorite is pulling up next to lifted jeeps at stop lights. There have been a few times where said jeeps have sat there revving, and then burned out off the line. Why on earth would you want to race a lifted jeep? I mean, come on now. Otherwise, my truck has a tendency to get spit and pissed on.
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
Otherwise, my truck has a tendency to get spit and pissed on.
Ok, now I know to avoid the West Coast too. Looks like both coasts are full of crazies.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

not to worry about Florida ... the elderly and tourists couldn't care less what you drive just so long as you get out of their way
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
I run into all sorts of crap here in California (got more of it in southern California than I do in Northern California though). My favorite is pulling up next to lifted jeeps at stop lights. There have been a few times where said jeeps have sat there revving, and then burned out off the line. Why on earth would you want to race a lifted jeep? I mean, come on now. Otherwise, my truck has a tendency to get spit and pissed on.
I get the same sort of resonses from the Jeepers.. For the most part no one seems to notice my truck which is good.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

From the sound of it, these people aren't just lousy about their jeep, they're lousy period. I get a lot of questions and lookovers from all sorts, but most are friendly and no one gets pissy. My attitude is and has been, these types of vehicles are all great fun, rover or not. I've owned other 4x4's, including Jeeps. If they built them to a commercial spec like Jeep did until the last military model, I'd probably still own one. What a bunch of jerks.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I get the same sort of resonses from the Jeepers.. For the most part no one seems to notice my truck which is good.
99% of people have great, positive reactions.... even some jeep owners. Then there is just the ocasional asshole that ruins the jeep name/ scene for me.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Monkeyboy

My wife refers to that behavior as the "small penis' disease
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Smile and wave first, before they do. Don't be upset if they don't wave back. Remember, as Defender owners you are the 'Royals' of the off-road world. Don't ever let anyone think for a minute you are a snob. It's just your 'job', as a 4X4 God.
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:24 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I was on my way out to the desert last year driving my 130 through LA traffic. I was just cruising along in the slow lane. Some dude in a jeep passes me and is obviously checking my truck out. He speeds up and gets in front of me and then slows down forcing me to slow down a bit. He changes lanes and falls back and gives me the bird while shaking his head. I nearly spit my coffee up from laughing so hard. When he saw me laugh he got really irate and mouthed FU to me and sped off. I still laugh when I still laugh when I think of that poor guy.
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
When he saw me laugh he got really irate and mouthed FU to me and sped off.
What the hell is wrong with people??? Losers like that really need to get a life. They are immature, jealous and do not respect others. Should I give someone the bird and tell to F*** off just because they are driving a nice Porsche 911...no! I'd admired it, give them a "thumbs-up" and go about my business.

my 2 cents...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

This must be a coast thing.
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Coasts

It's OK; the ocean kinda makes up for the assholes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90