Head turning D90 stories. - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

The funniest one I had was a guy in traffic ask "Are you going to go hunting dinosaurs?" I damn near crashed I was laughing so hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Busch Gardens, Tampa has a ride called "Rhino Rally" in which passengers are taken "off roading" in a giant Land Rover Defender. Supposedly LR Special Vehicles actually made the enormous Defenders for the ride, and they're pretty cool. There are also many series trucks, 88's and 109's as well as a couple of grey market 110's that they have around the park and especially that ride as decoration. But I digress. Anyway, on the Rhino Rally ride, there is a potion of the ride where the truck crosses a bridge, the bridge becomes dislodged and you actually go white water rafting down this river in the LR. Pretty gay, but again...whatever, it's a theme park ride.

Anyway, I went there a few years ago with my girlfriend and we took my 90. As we parked in the parking lot, some little kids were with their parents and they ran up to my truck and said, "hey, does your truck go underwater?" I didn't know what the hell they were talking about until I saw the Rhino Rally ride...then it all made sense.

http://www.rhinorally.com
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Bit differant for me ..being a girly and all! but i normally get either
"do you dress up like Lara Croft?"
or if i am sat at traffic lights i always get the boy racers check the truck out ( i have blacked out windows) and then when i wind the window down they are shocked to see a female driving it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"easy there sparky, villanova girls will wave at anything"

Anything that looks like it has money :-)
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:30 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"easy there sparky, villanova girls will wave at anything"

Anything that looks like it has money :-)
haha, i so do miss my undergraduate days, homecoming is soon, i'll have to go checkout scenery, see if it's still worth looking at.
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Oh yeah....and Christian, when the guy asked you where the safari was...you should have told him it was in his girlfriend's bush.

Oh shit that's funny!!
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

I only got my truck a few months ago, but the best comment so far came from a pizza delivery guy. He compared it to his GEO TRACKER. He said he liked the Tracker better because of its looks and the 4 cylinder engine. I just nodded and smiled.
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Many comments, fortunately mostly favorable. (I'm OK with the "Do you EVER wash your truck???" questions.) Probably my favorite was the little boy who wanted to know if I was visiting from Jurassic Park. I've been asked if I'm on my way to Iraq, if I'm a geologist, if the D-90 is a movie prop, if I have any bazookas (that one from a Mexican federale), and lots of "What does THAT thing do???"

It's also funny to come out of a store or restaurant, and find a group gathered around the Defender, with one "expert" giving explanations to his friends. Listening in, I've learned lots of new facts about my truck, like how my snorkel connects to the exhaust system and how the military surplus ammo tubes on one side (see picture) are missile launchers.

It's definitely not a stealthy ride.
Attached Images

Old September 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I got the question from a 20 something asking What year is the jeep? and I said

"a 2007, Jeep finally got it right"
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
The appropriate response for all these people is "Here's your sign..."

(If you're not from the South, you may not get that...)
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
The appropriate response for all these people is "Here's your sign..."

(If you're not from the South, you may not get that...)
Jeff Foxworthy...don't need to be from the South to appreciate a funny redneck!
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

You should see the look on both my daughters faces when I sing the Kenny Chesney song "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" to them only I substitute Rover for tractor.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx25
Jeff Foxworthy...don't need to be from the South to appreciate a funny redneck!
Oops not Jeff...Bill Engvall.
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx25
What I love is that uncertain/puzzling jeep wave from Jeep drivers.
haha. best part.
Old September 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"haha, i so do miss my undergraduate days, homecoming is soon, i'll have to go checkout scenery, see if it's still worth looking at."

Email me if you are in the nova area.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:33 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Thumbs up

I came across a young(er) guy in a little city car yesterday on the way home,
and he smiled and gave me thumbs up.

Non-verbal comment,but made me smile after an awful day.

Therapeutic Defender...?
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:06 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

After spending fifteen months pulling mine apart, galvanizing the frame and most of the steel parts, repainting everything and doing lots and lots of modifying, I finally got to drive my SWB home. This woman in the lane next to me gave the truck a quick glance. She then looked again to examine it more closely (as closely as you can while driving) bevfore giving me the double thumbs-up. Didn't hurt that the galvanizing was still all new and sparkly.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Cool I know it's not just me...

Annecdote for all of you; I'm sure some can relate.

I"m coming home from work earlier this week in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I'm moving about 2 miles per hour in a long line of cars on this 4-lane-to-2-lane convergence. Normally this doesn't bother me, as I enjoy watching everyone google at my 110. About 200 meters in front of me, there's this Wrangler (I could stop right now and at least half of you would know how this story ends), that pulls out from a local off limits but abused utility trail (teen wheeling spot) and crosses traffic about 10 cars ahead of me. The wrangler is lifted, with an abuse of stickers, a poor lift, and wire whip 10 foot CB antennae (which is so long that I'm sure it B*tch slapped him on the way home), driven by this lone punk around 18-21 years old I figure. I don't give him any visual recognition, so I just notice him out of the corner of my eye. As he crosses my lane ahead of me and turns into oncoming traffic, racing so as not to get rear ended by about 20 other cars behind him that had to slow down, he rubber necks to me, leans out his half door, starts yelling something at me (my windows up with a/c on, so couldn't hear him at all) and then manages to whip out the biggest finger/bird I've seen in a while right at me, almost losing control of his Wranger in the process.

Do we bring out the worst in these people or what? That has got to be the worst form of jealousy (my theory) I've seen in a while.

For those reading this post that don't have a defender but are considering one, ask yourself this: do you want to be the guy flipping the bird to the defender, or receiving the bird in a defender?

I'm enthusiastically awaiting my next bird salute. It sucks to want.

P.S. Pendy, by proxy, this guy hates you too!!! Thanks again for everything
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
A few months back, I made a trip to a local hardware store. I parked my D90 in the corner of the parking lot, away from eveybody. I come walking out of the store to find someone walking around my truck, looking under under it, inside it. This idiot had the entire lot to park his beatup P.O.S. rust bucket truck...where does he park it...you guessed it, a foot from me. He said that Defenders are over priced and could understand my someone would want one. He also wanted to see if I would like to chain my D90 up to his rust-bucket and see who would win a tug-o-war. WTF! What a idoit! I smiled, hopped in my beautiful over-priced Defender and drove off.

Cheers...

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Been there. Was in front of a caravan of rigs headed to Winter Romp this past Feb. and some dude after the Maine tolls got pissy and threw something (must have been coins) at my truck. Couldn't figure out why but he nearly ran into the divide at the next exit while trying accomplish his throw. made for some good cb bantor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90