Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 18th, 2006, 05:13 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
LOL...I've gotten the Hummer question.

When I was bringing the truck up from Alabama where I purchased it, I stopped at a gas station in the lower part of Ohio, the guy at the next pump told me, he had to settle for his Disco, his wife wouldn't let him buy a D-90. I responded by saying that's why I'm not married. I hope I didn't give him any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2006, 05:27 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

During hot august noghts here in reno I got some great comments as the gas station. It always fills up with some sweet rods but usually the getto 82 monte carlos with spinners.... one particular man in said hooptie yelled "UMMMM I LIKE DAT!!!! wheen you gonna git some twentiefors on dat shit" My girl friend and I have laphed about that one ever since.
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:28 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Mine got called a British Hummer once.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2006, 08:33 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I have often heard the compliment; " now thats the REAL Land Rover!". Mostly I have noticed that children just LOVE
the Rover. They oogle it the most.
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:44 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Tailgating for the South Carolina v Wofford game this weekend I had one guy ask where the safari was. Another told me he'd trade me his discovery 2 and a keg of beer (which was tempting at the time). Now that I've moved to Columbia, SC people are much more responsive and complementary. I think its the smaller city attitude than the ATL.
Old September 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Seems like a lot of what people ask me are the same things I said when I first saw one. "Damn, what is that"? Is that a Land Cruiser?

I used to get the most strange looks when I had the 4 seats in the back, & 5 passengers.
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

the best one I got was today in Trenton NJ filling up gas. The gas station attendant looks at me then looks at the truck covered in mud and just says "Are you some type of farmer?" I had no idea how to respond to that but I took it as some type of compliment.
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:20 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I pull up to a farmers house (I visit farms for work) and he looks at me and says, "Son, we raise chickens, there ain't no elephants here."

That and when I got keys made at the local Ace Hardware I pull up front, and hear the tail end of a lady behind the counter say, "Look at that Jeep!" and the guy next to her say, "Honey, that ain't no Jeep, it's a Land Rover." He cut my keys for free because he was on a medivac team for the military and said a lot of guys, including him, owed their lives to Land Rovers. Turned out that's what his team used as their ambulance.
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM
1000kva
paul girard

I love the "are you some type of farmer"
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I did not get that kind of reaction the other day. No panties on the rear view mirror, no little tikes taking pictures, no coooooool comments at the gas station. Nor did I get a "cool truck", a "nice Land Rover" nor a "kick ass ride". Nope, not me. I got a "Wholly fuck, shit, piss, what did I do!" look in the rear view mirror from some balls-less phone-to-the-ear dickshit in a S4 Audi (nice car, though) who pulled into the fast lane while I was about to go up a hill (so I had a head of steam) and him doing 50 and me doing 74 in a 65 zone. Kicker is, the dipshit never looked at all--nor was there anyone ahead of him--he just pulled ACROSS TWO LANES right in front of me from the onramp of the freeway and I was about 10 feet from him. He was going "too fast" on the onramp and shot over the lanes. One thing I do know is to NEVER try an emergency lane change in a lifted D90 with mud terrain tires doing 75 miles an hour. Only concillation was I saw him drop his phone as I neglected to hit my brakes (till the last second). Yeah, yeah, I know, I should not have done that. But I should not have been put in that situation either. Tough nigs.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Its mostly just hot chicks that comment about the Defender. To tell the truth, I'm not sure whether its the Land Rover, or my own rugged good looks they find so attractive....

I hate being treated like eye candy......it makes me feel.....cheap.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Honestly though....
I get more smirks than smiles.
From the little guy in the huge truck, to the Mr. Important in the A4 with his cell phone, there's alot of ego on the road.

Sometimes I just feel more comfortable in my old pick up. It seems I'm less threatening then, and people are more likely to just ignore me as they go about their uptight life.
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

People don't know what to think of my big truck.

Babies start to cry. Women faint. Men stare dumbfounded. Little boys go into gyrations trying to keep an eye on it while mommy drives by.

Mostly though I get 'nice Hummer'.

Whatever.
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I mostly get: "What kind of Jeep is that?", "What year is that?", or "Who's Army truck is that?"

It might be me or Washington state in general, but I have not found the 90 to be a 'chick magnet.' The only female it ever really attracted ended up being my wife. Before that, the ladies had to come from other work...not just driving the 90 around.

:-)
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
My favorite are the waves I get from the villanova undergrad girls . . . :-)
easy there sparky, villanova girls will wave at anything
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

No one will believe this, but I swear to God on my mother's grave this is true. A few years ago when I had the '94 D-90, I had just gotten back from wheeling it at a FLRC event in the Green Swamp. My truck was usually white, but after our trip it was COVERED in thick, black, south Florida mud. I got home late on a Sunday, I was beat, so I din't even attempt to wash it. I drove it to work the next day(like I did every day, it was my daily driver)...straining to see out the muddy windshield, and then home that evening. When I was just about home, I thought that I really should at least rinse the truck off so I could at least see out of the windshield before i drove it to work the next day. As I'm driving down south Howard Avenue (the very trendy $$$ part of Tampa) I noticed an unbelievably hot chick in the car in front of me. You know what I'm talking about...she was in a little Acura or something.....And all I could see of her was blonde hair, nice tan shoulders and little tiny spaghetti straps from some tiny top she had on. I could see her eyes and face in her rear view mirrors and I knew she was smoking hot. Anyway...she kept looking back in her mirror at me (te truck, I'm sure) The light turns green, we pull out, the road turns into a 4 lane and I move to the right lane and pass her. I don't really want to do the obvious thing and ogle at her as I pass, so I play it cool and just cruise on past her.

A block later, there's a red light. I stop. She stops beside me to my left. She leans over and says something to me...so I turn down the radio and lean down to look her way. And she is fucking unbelievably hot. I swear to God. She asks why my truck is so dirty, and I tell her I just got back from a 4 wheel trip...blah, blah, blah...and she tells me I need to wash it....and as the light is still red, I'm cocky as hell and I say "that's where I'm going right now, want to come help me?"...she smiles, looks in her mirror...looks back at me and says, "ok"....swear to God. Light turns green, she follows me to the car wash, she helps me wash it. She was wearing a mini skirt. I got her phone number and her business card. She worked for the Tampa Bay Lightning. I never called her. I'm an idiot. I miss my D-90.

thanks for listening.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yep, I agree. You are an idiot. ;-)
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:57 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Believe me, all my friends who heard the story thought I was an idiot too. I probably should have mentioned that when that happened, I had just started dating a girl that I liked alot. She's now my wife and we have 2 beautiful duaghters. So, in that instance, I'm glad I was an idiot....

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah....and Christian, when the guy asked you where the safari was...you should have told him it was in his girlfriend's bush.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I was driving through downtown Palo Alto one afternoon with a buddy of mine. We were just looking to get some pizza. There was a group of high school kids (16? 17? maybe) standing on a corner as I drove past. One of them yelled "Nice yellow Hummer, Faggot". I immediately slammed on the breaks and put it in reverse. I backed up to them as fast as I could and as soon as I got back to where they were and my buddy and I got out of the car and as I was doing so I could hear them say shit along the lines of "Oh shit!" and "let`s book it!" and needless to say, they booked it, and they booked it quick. See, I don`t mind being called a faggot by a bunch of high school kids... That I can brush off. The Hummer comment though? Not cool

I get the occasional compliment from a Rover fan here or there, but for the most part guys are just dicks to me about it. I get stared down, sized up, shit talked, cut off, etc etc. It`s really pathetic.

On the other hand though, girls dig it. It`s probably the only reason I ever get laid any more. I was in sit and go traffic on 110 just outside LA today and this real cute, STACKED brunette in a white Jeep Grand Cherokee pulled up next to me, bitting her lower lip and waved. That shit makes it all worth it.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
What I love is that uncertain/puzzling jeep wave from Jeep drivers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90