Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Has David Dearborn reached out to you too???

A blast (as in bomb, not excitement) from the past, David Dearborn, sent me an email out of the blue last week. Apparently, in the move to a new location he's found my original long lost VIN plate....still attached to my original windscreen.

I was intrigued at the thought of getting my original dash VIN plate back (you can read the old thread on that drama if you'd like). I told him he could keep the old windscreen, I'd obviously gotten a new one, all I wanted was the VIN plate! I asked him to just drop it in the mail, and he said he'd check into it and "get back to me". That was over a week ago, and since then I've heard he's reaching out to others.

If you're also on the list......curious to know your thoughts.

If David's trying to make things right, I applaud the effort and he should get credit. BUT if he's up to anything other than that, we should be singing it from the mountain tops.

Inquiring minds want to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:47 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Step 8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Alaskaptain
ryan
MOD 110

Again!

I've expected to run across that damn VIN plate in/on our truck since it(your VIN plate) went missing at ULC. Considering our 110 was delivered to our home with YOUR truck's license plates and toll tag installed, your insurance card sitting in the new console, etc.....
Glad it's found, er, located. I guess until it's existence is verified by the plate being in your paws I'll let our past experiences tell you what to expect....again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
You hit on my only concern! Could this VIN be used on another vehicle that would put my legit NAS truck in jeopardy.

If this VIN isn't returned to me, do you know who or what department I would report this too? Would this be a Georgia DMV issue (state issue) or NTSB (federal issue)? I honestly don't know.

Hopefully since my VIN has been found, it'll be returned with out issue.
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:17 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Will you say what state it was located?
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
The truck was / is registered in Texas. BUT ULR is located in Georgia. I'd of thought this was a business / person issue, and as such a matter for Georgia law. Unless there was a federal statute that addresses this issue.
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Probably reaching out because he's hoping for less negative press if his current crop of customers start researching him. Seems on Instagram he is still running a full restoration shop. Ulc.ulr.parts
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I hope you're right Barry. And if you are, I will be sure to let everyone know he is working to right previous wrongs.

HOWEVER......I find it strange that I even had to have a conversation with David regarding how we should handle this? If your shop lost a clients dash VIN, and then you later found it, wouldn't you send it to that person ASAP??? Perhaps a heads up it was on its way, or an inquiry as to the correct address.

But its been over a week, and I haven't gotten anything nor have I even heard back on whatever David felt he needed to 'check into'.
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:09 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverenvy View Post
I hope you're right Barry. And if you are, I will be sure to let everyone know he is working to right previous wrongs. HOWEVER......I find it strange that I even had to have a conversation with David regarding how we should handle this? If your shop lost a clients dash VIN, and then you later found it, wouldn't you send it to that person ASAP??? Perhaps a heads up it was on its way, or an inquiry as to the correct address. But its been over a week, and I haven't gotten anything nor have I even heard back on whatever David felt he needed to 'check into'.
I wasn't complimenting them by any means. I just think they were trying to cover their asses. They have proven time and time again they have no clue how to run a business.

Didn't their "new" parts manager come on here and try to claim their parts and restoration businesses were separate?

Such nonsense.

He was laughed off here.

Clearly from Instagram it's one business with a new name. What I don't get is why they would keep that name at all.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:55 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
OK, it looks like the other shoe has dropped. David's asking for money. Does his refusal to separate the VIN plate from the windscreen seem reasonable? Thoughts???

"Hi, I am not going to remove the plate from the windscreen frame. I will ship the whole thing to you

We will need to charge to pack it; about an hour + materials, then either we can set shipping or provide you with dims and weight and you can buy shipping and drop off. $130 labor and about $30 in materials.
Above with windscreen.
Let me know if you care about windscreen. If you don't, we can pop it out and then send frame fed ex ground all wrapped up.

Labor $45 materials $15 drop at fed ex no charge
If Fed Ex we will drop off at no charge. UPS no charge if picked up, other carriers as needed.

DD"
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:09 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

It would be worth it to hop on a plane to ATL with a set of tools, just to call his bluff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
OK, it looks like the other shoe has dropped. David's asking for money. Does his refusal to separate the VIN plate from the windscreen seem reasonable? Thoughts???

"Hi, I am not going to remove the plate from the windscreen frame. I will ship the whole thing to you

We will need to charge to pack it; about an hour + materials, then either we can set shipping or provide you with dims and weight and you can buy shipping and drop off. $130 labor and about $30 in materials.
Above with windscreen.
Let me know if you care about windscreen. If you don't, we can pop it out and then send frame fed ex ground all wrapped up.

Labor $45 materials $15 drop at fed ex no charge
If Fed Ex we will drop off at no charge. UPS no charge if picked up, other carriers as needed.

DD"

Have them pop out the glass and ship it empty...it'll weigh about 10 lbs that way LOL
Or better, have an Atlanta area dude offer to go grab it for you ASAP !
It would only take 3 minutes to carefully drill out the 2 pop rivets and drop it in an envelope...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
So "restoring" your original VIN plate to your truck, was not covered in the "continually" shifting estimate on the original work?
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:19 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Mark, that's what I was thinking. When I paid him for a new windscreen, labor for installation and paint......I just assumed that he'd use the original frame (which was rust free and perfectly good) for the installation of the new glass after it had been painted like the rest of the body.

So his shop lost it.....and now I've got to pay him to fix the problem? Am I missing something here?

Why can't he just pop the rivets and send it in an envelope to me via certified mail?? No labor, no materials, $5 in USPS!!
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:21 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Have an ATL member grab it and leave him an upper decker in the bathroom on the way out or as mentioned earlier, fly out and do it yourself.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:21 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Have an ATL member grab it and leave him an upper decker in the bathroom on the way out or as mentioned earlier, fly out and do it yourself.
Upper Decker! I am in pain from laughing about that!!!
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:34 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:

So his shop lost it.....and now I've got to pay him to fix the problem? Am I missing something here?
Nope. You're not.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:57 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
1998 Discovery

Some people just can't help being a douche, no matter how much it bites them in the ass.
I'll be down there in November and would gladly show up and pop that plate off. Then I'd smash the shit out of the frame/windscreen to make sure he could never use it again. And I'd probably clog his toilet and make off with the plunger.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 12:11 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
HOLD THE PHONE....

The Vin plate is not attached to the windshield...it is attached to the bulkhead?!?
The thin part that holds the crash pad.

It only shows through the windshield....

So what exactly is DD's story again??

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 22nd, 2016, 12:33 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Fish Taco 90, 109 Coiler S/T 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
HOLD THE PHONE....

The Vin plate is not attached to the windshield...it is attached to the bulkhead?!?
The thin part that holds the crash pad.

It only shows through the windshield....

So what exactly is DD's story again??

Wrong: while correct for NAS 90's , not so for NAS110's- they are on the windscreen.
Bear in mind it is illegal to tamper with/remove the VIN. Correctly done, the DMV agent needs to witness and do the transfer.
Ship the windscreen (sans glass) with VIN attached- while a pain and obviously not fair for you to pay, a cheap solution to recover the orig VIN at this juncture. Don't lose sight of the target...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac