Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 7th, 2004, 10:44 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hannibal the Cannibal...

Hey Fella's...

Kinda quiet around here today, thought I'd mix it up with a little sumptin'.

I don't hear too much talk about Roof Top Tents on this board or anywhere else for that matter and was wondering WHO has one, WHAT is the best one & basically see if there's any info floating around out there in the minds of D90 owners.

I'm looking at HANNIBAL 1.4 Deluxe, I don't know of too many others off-hand. Don't like the Magnolia hard looking one's... this definitely has to be a cavas type. I know there is another like the Hannibal but can't remember it... it's been about a year since I've thought of it.

So... anyone have any input ?

Thanks

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2004, 10:53 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

I am getting some prices from a company overseas. As soon as I have the price I will post it along with some pics.

John
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
The other one is EZ-awn. Don't have any experiences with them but thinking of buying one when the budget allows. All I know is that, they're freakishly expensive.

I believe Pangaea carries them both. He's got some good write-ups on both at his website. (www.pangaea-expeditions.com)

I think Nathan posts here every so often so he'll probably chip in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2004, 11:10 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

John,

Cool Beans man... Definitely post/email any information you recieve. Good idea, that was my next step.

The best priced 1.4 M Deluxe Hannibal I found on the internet was from SafariGard.com and their price with shipping total was $1430. yeah, it's a lot, but there is no substitute. ( $1345 + $85 Standard Shipping).

Glenn,

Looked at the Pangea website & information, very informative. Thanks. I think I'm sticking with the Hannibal... Not that the ezee awn is bad, I just like the Hannibal better, if not just for the name.

Thanks all !

Nicholas

Old July 7th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well after a little searching I found this

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/46/1182.html

You may want to talk to that Nicholas Orros guy, he seems to know a bit about the Hannibalhehe

But I also saw Mr. Dave Lacas had a cool looking tent on a Disco

http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/13/2069.html

Just some ideas
Old July 7th, 2004, 01:55 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Lol!!!

Mike,

I KNEW I posted that somewhere...

Too funny, shouldda did a search!

Thanks man!

I totally forgot about the roof RACK predicament.

Nicholas

<EDIT>

I'm going to email NATHAN at Pangeaa and see if he's got an 'update' now that it's over a year later. I will post if he writes back. Thanks again.

Old July 7th, 2004, 02:26 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nick, BW Overland is in the process of making me a new basket out of aluminum. Same look and feel of the LRNA basket, but with an aluminum floor (slatted) on the rear third of the basket and an open front for the tent. Fitted specifically for the hannibal with direct tie-ins for the mounting of the tent. The basket height will be about 3 inches shorter than your stock basket. I had mine cut down last year and removed 3 inches out of the side wall to make it a little sleeker. If you want, give Jesse and email. They are planning on offering it in their product line.

EDIT: Reason for the new basket is that it will be purpose built, lighter overall, and I won't be chopping an expensive LR basket up any further than I already have....
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

The question begs to be asked....

Why not just get a floor for the rack and a normal tent? 800 bucks buys you one hell of a 4 season tent with replacement parts readily available. Plus most tents in that range will be 4 season mountaineering tents that are very capable in the elements. Shouldn't be too difficult to get it up on the rack given most were designed to be erected on the side on a mountain.

So could someone please educate my ignorant ass here and explain the reason other than height of the tent? Is this a rover thing I am not in tune with?

EwS
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nicholas I posted it to be funny I new you new all that stuff.

Hey Eric, some of your questions would be answered by reading my first link.
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:30 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

"Why not just get a floor for the rack and a normal tent?"

I think the biggest selling points for the fancy roof top tents is the fact that it only took about 2 Min by myself to setup the tent and about another 3 min to close it up when you are ready to get going.

Additionally they do not take up as much room as a standard tent (most hang 1/2 of the tent in the air) leaving more room for storage on the top of the vehicle.

The tent that was on the top of my disco was made by a company called tent on top, I think they have stopped selling the tents and I got one of the last ones for a super discounted price. But with that said the tent was only used a few times and then I sold it because my wife would not go camping even with the fancy tent thingy

Oh well……… At least she loves to off-road and mod her disco
Old July 7th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Hey Eric, some of your questions would be answered by reading my first link.

Indeed they were.

They do look quite cool. $$$$$ though.

EwS
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:19 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

The other manufacturer I was thinking of in my original post was HOWLING MOON, they're pretty bad-ass tents too, another African manufacturer like Hannibal. I got the name from one of my LRE mag's at home, and I just remembered...

The only link I could find right now (not the manufacturer link but a link with some decent info) is:

http://www.opensky.com.au/RTTHMSub.htm

<small logo pic attached>

I really like the 'Double Tent' ... looks HUGE ... The prices seem high, but I think that's Australian prices because that's an australian link I posted... Have to do more research.

Nicholas
Attached Images

Old July 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM
rcork
Robert Cork
1993 NAS 110

I too have been looking at these roof top tents. I'm not so sure I want to spend $2000 for some smelly old canvas thing, though. I found this one from Cabela's. Anyone actually seen one?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rch&hasJS=true
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Lower priced option(s)...

Robert,

I like your style... I am not looking to spend 'two large' either, but I don't know if I like that Cabela Mombasa CarTop Tent though. It seems well priced but doesn't look like it would hold up and I don't think the 2 mesh windows on the side have coverings, I didn't see that listed anywhere. I did a small amount of research on the 'Mombassa' and really didn't find anything, nor did I find a vendor link.

ANYWAY...

I did find THIS:

http://www.safaritrailers.com/index....atalog&catID=2

They have 2 roof top tents, one is the TECHNITOP and the other is the BEDOUIN. Now the Technitop is prices a little over a grand, but the Bedouin is priced at $875 AND it looks like it will 'hold up'.
The 2 tents are almost identical except for the fact that the Technitop has a 'hard shell' case and the Bedouin is about 10 inches longer. That's what I'm talking about.

The dimensions of Bedouin are:
55 x 98 inches x 50 inches high
or
4ft 7inches x 8ft 2inches x 4ft 2inches

Not bad in my book. AND I really like the look of it, looks just like the Hannibal/HowlingMoon/Eezi-Awn one's. I'm going to email them and find out how much shipping is going to be...

Optimally I really like the HOWLING MOON tents, they seem to be the best. The adapter to fit the roof racks is universal so there's probably not too much sawing or changing out the basket to make the thing fit. BUT they are a LOT of money... TWO LARGE MAN! ouch... And there aren't many vendors for it. I checked out the TrekOverLand.com website and there wasn't too much information and they haven't emailed me back yet.

I'm going to do some more research... I've spent a considerable amount of time on this already today, luckily I'm not too busy.

Nicholas

UPDATE:

After closer inspection of the BEDOUIN pictures on the safaritrailers.com website, I think I noticed the Howling Moon LOGO on the tents... I'm pretty sure... Could be... haven't heard back from them.

Old July 12th, 2004, 02:38 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

updates...

Nobody replied back so I'm 'ass'uming that no one is interested.

BUT...

I've got MAD updates if anyone is...

Cheers,

Nicholas Orros

Old July 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Spill the beans. Info is ALWAYS appreciated.
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:06 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

ok...

Well, I spent the good part of last week working on this 'tent' issue... Emailed ALL of the HOWLING MOON & Hannibal Dealers throughout the freakin' world and some emailed me back.

I'll go from good to best...

First, there's a guy named John in DC on the RoversNorth BBS Board (under items for sale section, pretty recent) that's going to Africa and loves the Howling Moon tents and is trying to 'offset' his costs of the 'crate' he is bringing back and says he can bring a Howling Moon back for about $1000. You'll have to pay shipping costs from the Baltimore/DC area so that's the catch there. STILL, not bad. This tent goes for about $1300-$1500 EVERYWHERE.

Nathan from Pangeaa has Eezi-Awn's but they are in the $1300-$1500 range as well... BUT he is a very reputable vendor, and a nice guy on top of that.

There's a guy in Florida at ozziesoffroad.com who can do a Hannibal but again, pretty expensive.

I also have a guy named Grant who I used to work with until a short time ago who now lives in Africa and he says he can do a HOWLING MOON for about $900. Pretty good deal but you'll have to pay shipping and from AFRICA, it ain't cheap. Still an option...

----->>> Now THE BEST deal I have come across, where coincidentally I AM ORDERING from is a joint venture company that I came across because they were listed on the HOWLING MOON Dealers list, was one in Canada called 'Rocky Mountain Expedition Equipment' at 1-888-880-2600 (they're a joint venture between Footloose4x4.com/WiseOwlParts & one other I can't remember) , and they have THREE HOWLING MOON TENTS (actually 2 now... ) Their PRICE is pretty damn good. They have one NEW 1.22 Howling Moon Deluxe RoofTop tent for $750 which you CAN'T BEAT ANYWHERE WITH A STICK. This tent isn't sold in the U.S.A. and by a lot of reviews I've read beats the Hannibal & Eezi-Awn by far... this one will run you $1300+... and add shipping on top of that. Now, shipping from Canada is pretty expensive but with the tent being such a great price the whole thing will cost you about a GRAND shipped FEDEX AIR CARGO (which means you may have to go to the nearest large airport to pick 'er up).
Now the REASON why they are 'blowing' these out is because their company is producing/manufacturing a rooftop tent to compete with HowlingMoon/Hannibal and it runs about $899. You can go to rovertents.com to see 'their' version of the rooftop tent and for contact information in case you want one of the 2 HOWLING MOON tents that are left. They have 2 tents left... ONE NEW 1.22 Deluxe Howling Moon and ONE 1.4 Deluxe Howling Moon which I was informed by Tim & Eric (the sales-guys) was DEMO'ed by the owners for ONE TRIP to Alaska... he did say there was a tear or two on the cover (not the tent) of it but it was in great shape, again only used once. (who knows though right ?) The price on either of these is $750. I asked for a better deal on the 1.4 but they told me they couldn't 'make a deal' on the used one because the owner's are on Safari somewhere... but will be back on the 20th. I can't wait that long, so I opted out. But you may be able to get it for $500, who knows...

Anyway, hope this helps someone, I'm looking forward to getting mine. The only obstacle in my way is to figure out a way to fit it on the factory safari basket...

Oh, and there is a couple of TENTS called OASIS tents coming out from ExpeditionExchange but I'm not familiar with them. And even when I questioned Rocky Mtn Exp. they said the Howling Moon was the best, supposedly they've been making these tents for years and have worked out all the 'bugs'. John Lee said they haven't introduced them yet, but are coming to the site rather soon. They are going to sell Hannibal but it's going to be about $1500 LARGE.

Cheers,

Nicholas Orros

I've got some other vendors too, but they're all about the same price.

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'd like to know, really. I want one of these someday, so lets hear it.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:45 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sounds interesting Nick. In all of your research, where were you able to get info on "experiences" with the various tents. I've only seen a hannibal in person and was overall impressed with it. So it's hard for me to put a price on something I haven't seen. To be honest, that technitop looks cheap in the pictures. But I can't say they do it justice.

I do agree, the Howling Moon looks legit. I'd love to see one in person.
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave & Jim,

Well, I've spoken to both Tim & Eric at Rocky Mountain and they both told me that the Howling Moon was the best, strongest, been doing it the longest so they've worked out all the kinks and what not. But basically a lot of the vendors.... Nathan at Pangea, and OpenSky.com.au (very informative site) say that the TOP THREE are HOWLING MOON / HANNIBAL / EEZI-AWN are very close. One may have better stitching on the cover (Hannibal), whereas the other may be a stronger tent (Howling Moon) and have a better more UNIVERSAL mounting system (Howling Moon) , whereas the other may be 'easiest' to open (Eezi-Awn).
I just had to bite the bullet, couldn't wait because I want to get out and do some camping... it's been YEARS... literally.

One thing to keep in mind, is that ALL of these tents are about the same price, they're ALL from the same area in AFRICA so they're made to withstand extreme conditions and to keep out even the 'smallest' of insects. 90% of the people/vendors I've spoken to have said this. And according to them, the HOWLING MOON has been 'at it' the LONGEST.

And WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT! ... I had a VENDOR FOR HOWLING MOON in the U.S.A. email me this morning that he does have A BUNCH of them, and they're priced pretty decent too... oh well...
I'm emailing him back to find out how much shipping would be... He is in ARIZONA.
Here's his prices:
1.4 Deluxe with mattrass and cover $1008.00
Shower Annex Nylon $139.00
Shower Annex Ripstop $178.00
Ladder Ext $39.00
1.6 Delux $1083.00
1.4 Tourer with matt and cover $1029.00
Tourer 1.6 $1132.00
Tourer 2.4 $1616.00

The differences in price and size is REALLY GOOD from what I've seen.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Nicholas

Follow-up Post:

Ok, for those that emailed me about WHO the vendor is, I apologize for not posting...

The website is actionafrica.com and the guy's name is PAUL ZWAY 'The Krazy African' , his phone # is 520-762-9293. He's getting more information on the 'shipping charges' and says he's going to email them to me shortly.

I spoke to him for about 20 minutes and he sounds like he really knows what he is talking about. He was not 'in the know' about d-90.com so I explained to him that 'this is the definitive place for anything & everything DEFENDER'. I also explained to him about the 'Vendors Loft' and gave him Chris' name and says he's going to check it out and give him a call.

They've got all kinds of interesting items on there, tents of course, but I was particularly looking at the REFRIGERATION units that were offered. Apparently, they are high dollar but have INTERNAL power units that when charged can last about 48 hours and work much better than the Engels'... but again, expensive they are. They're even coming out with a DIAMOND PLATED FRIG... neat...

Solar panels, camping equipment, wine barrels, some neat stuff.

Anyway...

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
nib