Hannibal the Cannibal... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM
c2sox
Al Cruz
93 110 #428 and 01 Disco SD7

I believe this is the gutter mount version...

Al
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2004, 04:53 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Yup, that's the one. No drilling to mount. And you can get custom holders at time of purchase, IE Jerrycan, Hi-lift jack, ect.

I like the look of the gutter mounts. EE just picked them up as well. Surf on over.

EwS
Old July 21st, 2004, 04:57 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
That's correct.... John at EE has one on his D90. Sweet looking truck. He's got more close up pics in ee's website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I like the look of the 'SD' rack you guys are talking about, though I still think the NAS version looks ten times better. For my purposes I'll probably never bend it, I don't go through too many trails or put too much up there to worry about it. I am thinking about the tent though, I'm 6-2 215 and my other half is 5-8 125 and the tent itself is 110 lbs, so you guys do got me thinking but I think it will be ok. We'll have to see right ?

I did check out the schematic of the 'SD' roof rack for the 90/110 that EE has installed and it does look like there's some drilling, especially in the roof... perhaps...

Nicholas
Attached Images
File Type: bmp sdbasket90110.bmp (900.1 KB, 157 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

No, what you are seeing in that install doc is the gutter clamps. They are a 2 part clamp that sits in the rain gutter and the outter part clamps over the outter edge of the gutter. Teh bolts you see there go through the outer clamp into the inner clamp and tighten on the gutter to keep it in place. You should have no drilling to mount that.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

ohhh... gotcha... seems pretty sturdy eh...

OH YEAH... and to get back to the topic of tents and since we were talking about EE... John sent me a link that's not 'totally live' yet (as we like to say in website rollout land) that has a couple of rooftop tents that they are rolling out shortly and that link is:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/oasistent/

They've got 2 different versions than what I've seen, not bad I guess AND they are selling the HANNIBAL 1.4.

Check 'em out if you're interested.

Nicholas

Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Eric, just curious but how substantiated were the claims on the NAS rack. Not attacking you, just trying to understand this a bit better. As long as you don't exceed the load limit on the rack, I can't see how that might happen.

If anything, my opinion is the NAS rack can handle a bit more simply because it ties into the roll cage. Which the "SD" rack does not.

As far as the oasis tent goes. Is it only me, or does anyone else think it looks like a backyard special you could buy at Walmart? I know it's made of many space age materials. But it's fugly.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

It may look ugly to some but its much lighter, folds down for ease of storage not to mention doesnt take up 2/3rd of your roof when stored, and is more verstile than the others. I would like to see one come out sized inbetween that one and their TentCot.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Eric, just curious but how substantiated were the claims on the NAS rack. Not attacking you, just trying to understand this a bit better. As long as you don't exceed the load limit on the rack, I can't see how that might happen.

Fewer mounting points than the SD gutter rack. If you get a large load shift heavily laden it could deform the rack. We're talking in rough terrain after some use, but the SD Gutter rack has not displayed this tendency. That was the info I got straight from SD UK when I called them around 6 months ago...

If anything, my opinion is the NAS rack can handle a bit more simply because it ties into the roll cage. Which the "SD" rack does not.

It does, but at 4 points toal if I remember correctly. Plus you have the ladders in the rear as the only other attachement points. The Gutter rack on the other hand isn't dependent on the rear ladders for support, another benefit IMHO. No un-necessary drilling.

Both are fine racks, but the consensus I got from SD is that the Gutter system is stronger rack by a nose. All things equal, I got the impression that they were biased to the UK style gutter to sell an off the shelf item so to speak. Personally, I love the NAS rack and OEM items in general, but if I decide to pull the trigger on this I most likely will get the gutter.

That is the info I got from SD and did a little poking around the Net.

So take the info with a grain of salt as it could be salesmanship on SD's part and the other verified deformation were stories off of the net.....

EwS
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:47 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Well that's interesting nonetheless. I would normally think the SD version would be more prone to load shift and causing the upper cab half to shift, more importantly. My biggest concern would be the upper cab since I know their are only a few bolts holding it to the rest of the truck. Know what I mean?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Yes. Big leap of faith in the design of the gutter system.

EwS
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:44 PM
pangaea
Nathan Hindman
95 Discovery, D130

Guys, I just stubled on this post today... I've been pretty busy and haven't been online in quite a while. Anyway, here's my 2 on the racks and the tents. And honestly, this is my take not as a vendor, but as a guy who's used alot of these prodcuts....

Roof Top tents - The big three: Eezi-Awn, Hannibal and Howling Moon are all pretty good tents. The design is very similar between them, and which ever one you picked would be a good choice. But I think there are BETTER choices within them:

Hannibal: My company has been selling the Hannibal stuff for about 2 years now, and although I think that they're fairly well built, we've had a few warranty claims come in with thin spots in the canvas or tearing of the mosquito mesh within the first few months. These issues, are kind of minor and can be rectified, but I think that's BS to have to deal with when you drop $1400 on a tent. As a result of these quality control issues, we're actually in the process of "phasing out" the Hannibal line.

Howling Moon: A very well designed tent. I'm impressed with the build quality of these tents. We use them on our rental trucks over in South Africa. They do the job well, have a decent ladder and a slick raincover that allows room for the ladder. But, after extended use, I've seen these tents fall apart quicker than I'd like. Granted they're on rental trucks, which suffer a a lot of use and abuse, but I still haven't been thrilled with what I've seen. The materials are holding up fine, but the stiching and the seams tear and split quite a bit. Still, it would be my second choice.

Eezi Awn: When we started having the aforementioned problems with the Hannibal tents, that's when I started actively reasearching for another better tent to import. Honestly, I looked at ALOT of them: Tent On Top, Howling Moon, Technitop, Maggiolina, Echo, etc and I was most impressed by the these tents. Of all of them, these are the tents that I liked the most, and was the most impressed with from a build quailty standpoint. They've been making them for about 20 years and make a good tent. The fact that they're by far the tent of choice for most overland expeditions definitely says a thing or two about them...

As to the plastic case tents and that Oasis tent.... well, let's just say- don't get me started.

Follow-up Post:

My last post was getting a bit long, I thought that I'd break it up a bit...

As to the roof racks, I think that both the SD expedition rack and the NAS 90 racks are both equally well built racks. The NAS 90 rack has the intrinsic advantage, simply because it mounts to the roll cage and the frame. The expedition rack mounts to the roof rails. Comparing apples to apples, with an identical basket system, a roof rail mounting system CANNOT provide the strength of a frame mounted rack. Over time and with improper loading, the rail mounted rack will bend the rain gutters, weaken the bulkhead and wear out the body of truck.

That being said, I think that the front mounting points on the NAS rack do leave a bit to be desired, and I for one would strenthen them considerably. I have seen them slip on a 90 before...

Anyway, that's my 2, and a little more,
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:26 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Nathan,

Hey, Thanks for the info.

I'd love to hear your opinions on the Oasis tent & plastic case tents! I love a good bashing...

Nicholas

Old July 26th, 2004, 10:53 AM
pangaea
Nathan Hindman
95 Discovery, D130

Nicholas,

First off I don't want you to think I'm totally dissing the Howling Moon tents. I do think it's a good tent and you'll be happy with it. I've just been unimpressed with some of the long term use that seen on those rental units over in South Africa.

As to the Oasis tent, I basically think it's a Tent Cot with a $900 ladder. It's not that it's a BAD tent per se, just VERY over priced for what it is. I was actually approached by Oasis about a year ago to start selling them, and I turned it down, because I just don't think that it's a very good value. If you want a set up like that, just buy a TentCot and a rear ladder for your truck and save the extra $700.

I do like the Technitop plastic tent, I think that the basic design of it is pretty decent and the plastic case is a really great idea- it's fairly lightweight and weather resistant. But I do have a concern about the durability of the telescoping poles on the inside of the tent (semi-dodgy plastic and potential for dirt ingress), but they seem to be somewhat unfounded based on some of the reports that I've heard from a couple of long term users.

BUT, I think that most of those other plastic tents like the Maggiolina, and even the Hannibal Impi are crap. You're paying $2k for a tiny, clausterphobic tent that takes up your entire roof... just not worth it, IMO. I've heard the sensation of sleeping in a Maggiolina being equated to that of sleeping in a coffin....
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Nathan,

Hey Thanks man! Nothing I like better than some 'real life' test/opinion from someone who knows what the hell they're talking about ... it's life smacking you right in the face!

LOL...

Seriously though... Great F%$^king review!

Nicholas

Old August 12th, 2004, 08:55 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

...it's been one of those weeks

Well, here are some pics.
I planned on taking more during the install but it's pretty self explanatory and I didn't have the camera at the time.

Anyway, here's a few.

I have high-res if anyone wants to see more... I can email them no prob. Just send me a PM so I can keep track of them.

The bars were expensive but came out really good, I was impressed, the spec's were perfect.

The truck drove fairly well with the tent on top except when passing 18 wheelers, that was fun but not too bad. I'm going to mount it farther back on my next trip.

Even without the ladder being fully supported in the front, because I didn't have time... The tent didn't 'bow' at all when you moved your weight to the half of the tent that is on top of the hood. It was neat.

Anyway, I'm tired.

Nicholas

<... I tried to upload more than 2 but couldn't, so pm if you want more detailed/closeup pics ...>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44100155a.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1262   Click image for larger version

Name:	44090058.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1263  

Old August 13th, 2004, 01:25 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Looks good Nic! Sent you a PM.

DJ
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:31 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I'd still like to find something that works with the LRNA rack, beacuse all the others seem to work with their own specific rack, no? Anything work with thwe stock rack?
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:59 PM
pangaea
Nathan Hindman
95 Discovery, D130

Torrence,

Depends... how much are you willing to modify the rack. If you notice, Nicholas' set up utilizes the factory rack though I'm not sure exactly how he attached it...
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:32 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Torrence,

ALL 'safari type' rooftop tents (not the pop-up magnolia ones') are designed to be used with 3-sided racks OR 2 'yakima-TYPE' bars. It's a pretty easy setup... opens just like a book.

I wouldn't suggest modifying the stock rack. Watch out for 'rattles' if you do, it will drive you nuts, and I don't think it's worth it. And you'll be compromising the 'strength' of the rack itself.

I don't have the 'closeup' pic handy... I left the pics at home this morning and a bunch of people have emailed me but I'll get some up on here tonight of what the 'bracket' looks like that connects to the top bar of the roofrack at 4 points. Worked like a charm, and very strong.

If you want closeup HIGH-res pics however, you'll have to let me know.

Nicholas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
nib