Hannibal the Cannibal... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:09 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Update (for those interested)

Well, I picked the HOWLING MOON tent up on Friday and all I have to say is that this thing is INCREDIBLE... of very high quality. And to those who think they can make a tent and put it on a board, you probably could but not like this. I am amazed with the quality, strength and ease of use both opening and closing.

I'm having a local welding shop make me a couple of mounting bars that I can attach to the factory roof to mount this this to the safari rack so it's going to be another few days before I can install it... but I brought it into the house and opened it up in the living room and was really blown away.

Anyway, just an update, and if anyone's interested in pics when I get it up, I'll post them if you want... but there doesn't seem to be too many interested in these things over here in the U.S.A. ... (they seem to be very popular overseas).

Now, I just need a place to go camping... my girlfriend says the North Carolina mountains are fantastic... if anyone has .02 cents to spare on that idea... send the idea my way eh ...

Cheers,

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2004, 02:24 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Hey Man, I'd like to see some pictures of it. Especially when you get it installed!

DJ
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:05 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Good news Nick. "This thread is useless without pics..."

Please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2004, 03:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The NC mountains are nice, but your best bet is to simply move to a place that is actually nice, like CO or WA.
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Sure, what the hell....

EwS
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

DJ,

Will do. I'll post a few but I can send you high-res pics if your mailbox can handle it. (i'm sure it can) They're making the bars up this week, and possibly a 'powder coat' on them as well. I'll take some shots of the tent itself, the mount points, the bars and of course, the tent installed. For you, no problem.

Dave,

I don't think this thread is useless, I posted a hell of a lot of concrete information as far as quality, reviews, links and vendor prices... and a lot of typing, with very few spelling mistakes I might add ( ). More than I can say for most. But of course, I will post pics.

Jim,

Possibly one day I'll move... when this New Jersey native wants to deal with SNOW again! I'm sure it's beautiful in CO & WA as well, I've never been. For now I love it down here in Florida.

---->
OUCH! I just got a call from the local welding shop and they want $250 for the bars total, and $315 for them powder-coated. That seems pretty high. I wouldn't know though, I've never had to get anything fabricated. What do you STUDS think ?
I'm sure I can make them myself but they probably won't be as nice.
What exactly are they making for me ?

Well, I'm using 1 x 2 inch rectangular metal bars about 47 inches long, with about 6 or so inches of the same bar welded to the bottom ends (to put it simply... slightly more intricate) with 1 1/4 inch pipe cut in half so it fits neatly over the end of the safari rack (slightly larger so I can put a some type of rubber padding inside so they 'clamp' over the tubing. Hope that came out correctly...

But $315 ??

THANKS & WILL POST PICS & PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK THAT'S A "REALISTIC" PRICE !!

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Not sure if that's fair or not. Sounds like you provided measured drawings and all. Probably a pretty nice piece of iron you are talking about so in the end it may be worth it. How much are you into the tent for now anyway?
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nick, call Rovertracks. They made several of us bars that link the rear hoop of the safari rack to the 2nd support bar. Picture here: http://www.rovertracks.com/carnage%2...8-03%20002.jpg

And it was not more than $100 from what I remembered.
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave,

Will do.
the only thing is that the dimensions have to be perfect... and since I'm not using the 'rails' that are normally fitted with the tent I need to make sure there is a flat platform for the tent to sit on.

In any case, if I have them do it I'll have it done by Friday and will post pics.

Nicholas

Old July 20th, 2004, 07:29 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Nicholas- I'm mainly jerking your chain as opposed to knocking your residence of choice, but here's my 2c. I lived in NY, SC, WA and Germany, and my folks lived in Tallahassee FL for 5 years so I was there often. NY like NJ has seasons, which is rough if you dont like snow. WA and Germany only have snow if you want it (like go up in the mountains) - other than that, its great year-round. Tal has some nice canopy roads, but its so damn hot...
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:28 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Nick, call Rovertracks. They made several of us bars that link the rear hoop of the safari rack to the 2nd support bar. Picture here: http://www.rovertracks.com/carnage%2...8-03%20002.jpg

And it was not more than $100 from what I remembered.
Does anybody have a picture of this truck from behind? I would love to see how it is mounted.
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

It should just mount to the factory mounting holes on the ladders.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:43 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I am mid project making a rack. I am trying to figure out a few options for mounting it without drilling any holes or blocking the rear gate/tire rack.
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:42 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

The Rovers north models I think bolt up nicer than the OEM units. They used pre-existing mounting points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:08 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I really can't comment much on the RoversNorth racks but I do have a strong opinion that NONE of the other racks I've seen compares to the Factory Safari Roof Rack (LRNAFS90RR). To me it simply looks the best to boot, it just 'fits' ... (I guess that's why I paid so much for it last year when I purchased it new and installed it)

In any case, I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

It seems that this gentleman had a local shop 'replicate' the safari rack. Looks pretty good except for where the front attaches to the existing roll cage on the NAS Defender. (note: the factory rack has very nice clamps that attach to the roll cage).

Hmm...

Nicholas

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:10 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I agree. The NAS OEM rack is the best looking rack I think too. But the left ladder mount should just run down and bolt to the rear x-member so you dont have to drill the holes above the licence plate.

Quote:
[/size]
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:13 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

True... I never understood why they did that ?

Possibly to leave room for 'light guards' ? Who knows eh...

Nicholas

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:13 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I like the Safety devices rack much better. I have heard the NAS rack can deform with weight shifts. The SD will not and you don't have to drill holes in your truck as well.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:19 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Eric,

Which is the 'Safety Devices' rack that you speak of ?

And I thought that the Factory Safari Roof Rack (LRNAFS90RR) WAS in fact made by Safety Devices UK ?

I'm semi-lost.

Thanks

Nicholas

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
There are two kinds of Safety Devices rack for the D90. The NAS version is like the one Nick is talking about and the one Eric is speaking of is the gutter mount one. It's a more expensive unit and is supposedly stronger. Obviously, that won't work for us lowly ST owners.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
nib