Ham Radio (Vehicle to Vehicle Comms) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: What band and/or digital voice codec do you use?
Analog - HF 2 13.33%
Analog - VHF (Assumed Dual Band) 14 93.33%
D-STAR 0 0%
DMR 1 6.67%
Fusion 0 0%
P25 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30th, 2016, 10:30 AM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

The San Diego club is pretty much sticking to the 2 meter band. Our club simplex is 147.580 Mhz. No digital use. Keeping it the lowest common denominator.
I personally am staying a long ways away from digital as there are too many incompatible systems. However saying that, Yaesu has made sigificant inroads into the SD area repeater operations by selling analog/digital repeaters really inexpensively. There's a weekly Yaesu digital net for newbies now.

We'll have a club tech session this year to expand everyone's operations on repeaters.

A handful of us including Neill Thornton also can operate HF. In fact I think Neill used HF when he had his excursion to Alaska a couple of years ago.
Otherwise 2 m simplex is all we need locally.
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I have two - Handhelds - ICOM (used to be Shayne father-in-laws) and a China cheepie...do not currently have my license though. Ruby is equipped with CB, FRS and Ham

Why do they call it HAM by the way?
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:42 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have two - Handhelds - ICOM (used to be Shayne father-in-laws) and a China cheepie...do not currently have my license though. Ruby is equipped with CB, FRS and Ham Why do they call it HAM by the way?
Lost in the mists of time but may be a slur on the 'Ham fisted amateur operators' when there were professional morse operators.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2016, 10:59 AM
cascade90
Mason Worley
'95/NAS D90 SW #59/500

I just read all the replys on HAM and am enjoying the new found enthusiasm. I have been a HAM for over 10 yrs now and use a dual band in my truck. The thing I did not read much of was that of using APRS. Chris and I spoke briefly about it at lunch and both agreed that that really is the slick set-up. It gives you such a visual of were the group is and how to heard some of 'em up. It is all very interesting watching on your GPS where each individual rig is. Anyway with that bit said I highly recommend a radio with APRS.
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have two - Handhelds - ICOM (used to be Shayne father-in-laws) and a China cheepie...do not currently have my license though. Ruby is equipped with CB, FRS and Ham

Why do they call it HAM by the way?
HAM = Hyman-Almy-Murray first Amateur Radio Station

------ Follow up post added April 30th, 2016 11:48 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
What band do you use for vehicle to vehicle comms? If digital, what codec?

I'm having a lot of problems figuring out which radio to buy because I have no idea what people are using for vehicle to vehicle comms.

Note, I don't really care about SHTF, Zombie Apocalypse, or other male survivalist fantasies. Also I'm not talking about hypothetical expedition situations when crossing Africa or the remote jungles. This is purely vehicle to vehicle comms, repeater or no repeater, simplex or duplex.

Ed,

I started with a simple to use 2 meter radio, ( had one for each vehicle as they are around $ 100.00 - see one new for sale I have listed )

Since I have sold all the ones used, learned a little more and talk to people on other bands I ended up with a quadband but way too overkill for my skill and needs
Old April 30th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Roverbill
William Ruttan
1997/Defender 90SW

'Super' FRS

While I certainly prefer my mobile Ham radio, most members of my local Land Rover club are using hand held FRS 'walkie-talkies'. To try to improve on the inherent limitations of these radios I have purchased a GMRS License and a Midland MXT100 GMRS vehicle radio. As the first seven frequencies are common to both FRS and GMRS, I should now be in a better position to communicate within my group on FRS Channels 1-7. I have not had a chance to try this out, but the improvement would be due to:

1. Higher Power (GMRS 5 watts vs. FRS 0.5 watts).

2. Antenna location on top of the NAS Defender steel roll bar (new production FRS radios are not allowed to have detachable antennas).

3. Better audio due to the increased frequency deviation permitted in GMRS FM.

4. More stable voltage supply from the vehicle electric system.
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:23 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverbill View Post
While I certainly prefer my mobile Ham radio, most members of my local Land Rover club are using hand held FRS 'walkie-talkies'. To try to improve on the inherent limitations of these radios I have purchased a GMRS License and a Midland MXT100 GMRS vehicle radio. As the first seven frequencies are common to both FRS and GMRS, I should now be in a better position to communicate within my group on FRS Channels 1-7. I have not had a chance to try this out, but the improvement would be due to: 1. Higher Power (GMRS 5 watts vs. FRS 0.5 watts). 2. Antenna location on top of the NAS Defender steel roll bar (new production FRS radios are not allowed to have detachable antennas). 3. Better audio due to the increased frequency deviation permitted in GMRS FM. 4. More stable voltage supply from the vehicle electric system.

There is no reason a decent FRS/GMRS setup shouldn't perform as well as a ham setup. The catch is that ham's probably have some understanding of the process of doing the setup and FRS / GMRS users are less aware of the requirement.

Lots of ham gear can operate on FRS / GMRS with a minor mod or straight out the box with the likes of baofeng.

One point that hasn't been mentioned is the squelch codes. On FRS you select a channel, then a code ... That code is basically a set of tones the transmitter sends to initiate a session. It opens the squelch and provides a basic means to have multiple conversations on the same channel while only hearing the one you want.

Ham gear can send these codes but it requires setting up if you want the FRS people to hear you. Simplest is to use FRS code zero which eliminates the code.
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
How timely, I'm taking my icom 706 out of the d-90 in favor for the kenwood d710GA that has been stellar in my LR4. Have gone overboard with APRS. If someone wants a well taken care of 706, let me know. Otherwise it goes to ebay...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:37 PM
cascade90
Mason Worley
'95/NAS D90 SW #59/500

Along with my kenwood mobile ham on-board I carry an ICOM portable but it is limited to 5 watts, but when I separate from the truck and say scout or explore I can make my truck the repeater and make my portable a lot more powerful unit to reach out. The portable also comes in handy when someone's radio or antenna goes down and then they can stay in communication. This isn't an argument at all. I think having any kind of any vehicle-to-vehicle communication is a good thing especially if it's not CB. Lots of info out their on radios and setting up with antennas.
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Circling back with some visuals and more comments; I'm by no means all that steeped in the HAM's technical aspects-in fact I'm nowhere near reaching its potential given that I really just use it for simplex comms at the moment-though hopefully the NOVA crew can change that dynamic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2041.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	148494
Detached face plate mount makes for an easy install in the D1. The up/down button above the faceplate is the switch for the motorized Diamond K9000 antenna mount that is bolted to the SD rack. While not essential the motorized mount is pretty cool and def helps with clearance issues both on the trail and the occasional garage.

Name:	thumb_2016-02-27 15.11.52 HDR_1024.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	148495
Shot of the antenna on the roof just forward of the trickle charging solar pane., pretty sure its just a Diamond NR770HB (its been so long I've forgotten). With the motorized mount the antenna comes down and nests on the maxtrax without major protrusion.

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	148496
The handhelds, dirt cheap Baofeng UV-5R's with the extended battery and a better antenna. With the extended battery both of these handhelds made it through VOT only being charged one time (and that probably wasn't actually necessary). You can also barely see the mic/handset for the Yaseu hanging over the rear view mirror as that comes out of the faceplate and tucks into the map pocket/overhead storage.

r-
R
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:58 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade90 View Post
Along with my kenwood mobile ham on-board I carry an ICOM portable but it is limited to 5 watts, but when I separate from the truck and say scout or explore I can make my truck the repeater and make my portable a lot more powerful unit to reach out. The portable also comes in handy when someone's radio or antenna goes down and then they can stay in communication. This isn't an argument at all. I think having any kind of any vehicle-to-vehicle communication is a good thing especially if it's not CB. Lots of info out their on radios and setting up with antennas.
How do you setup a repeater?
Old May 1st, 2016, 02:19 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

How do you setup a repeater?
some radios are repeater capable, which means that they can listen one one frequency and transmit the received signal on another frequency.

depending on the feature set of the radio, this repeatimg feature is limited to cross-band repeat (vhf to uhf and vice versa). Other radios will be limited to same band only repeat (vhf to vhf or uhf to uhf). others will be able to cross-band repeat to hf and 6m. some can do cross and same band. some have multiple receivers built into the same radio.

the specific instructions for setting a unit to repeat is highly model dependent.
Old May 1st, 2016, 02:44 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
some radios are repeater capable, which means that they can listen one one frequency and transmit the received signal on another frequency.

depending on the feature set of the radio, this repeatimg feature is limited to cross-band repeat (vhf to uhf and vice versa). Other radios will be limited to same band only repeat (vhf to vhf or uhf to uhf). others will be able to cross-band repeat to hf and 6m. some can do cross and same band. some have multiple receivers built into the same radio.

the specific instructions for setting a unit to repeat is highly model dependent.
do you have an example of a model ... i'd be pretty interested to run this for car camping or on a wheeling day. Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2016, 03:14 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
do you have an example of a model ... i'd be pretty interested to run this for car camping or on a wheeling day. Thanks!
Do you have your license yet? Simply doing the studying for your license will pretty much answer this type of question.

A repeater is a fixed station that allows users to transmit to, it then transmits out, thereby vastly extending your range. It is nearly instantaneous, but as posted above, you transmit on one freq, receive on another. The repeater uses a code in the transmission to know to switch on and off automatically.

I've used my vehicle unit to talk with people more than 150 miles away and over the mountains between us by using a repeater set up on the mountain ridge. This would be great for emergencies. Otherwise, using vehicle to vehicle simplex is just like using a CB but much more effective.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old May 1st, 2016, 03:24 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
yes, there are some very specific rules about repeaters that are covered when you get your license.

Using a repeater to extend HT range is a special case that requires training.
Old May 1st, 2016, 06:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
yes, there are some very specific rules about repeaters that are covered when you get your license. Using a repeater to extend HT range is a special case that requires training.
I have the UK equivalent of an extra license that I've had for 30 years.

G1TFI

That being said I haven't been active in a long time and have started getting back into the ham stuff. I'm just interested in what capabilities are out there.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:

I have the UK equivalent of an extra license that I've had for 30 years.

G1TFI

That being said I haven't been active in a long time and have started getting back into the ham stuff. I'm just interested in what capabilities are out there.
sorry jason. not trying to talk down to you. it's just that there are a lot of ham units out there and the differences between HTs and Mobile rigs are so many that you really need to do your own homework to choose. You have to understand Part 97.

I recommend you get your technician class license in the US. i feel a little uncomfortable with anyone holding a foreign license for 30 years asking about how to set up crossbanding. no shame in getting current.

it's not that we don't want to help, or not provide a "short answer". it's that we can't really answer your question.

this is a big part of the reason why i polled about freq/codec and not rig models. When you get licensed, you will realize how incredibly messed up and mixed up the ham radio market is.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 04:45 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
For reference some good info on the topic.

The key after some reading is to understand the difference between a remote base and repeater operation.

http://www.arrl.org/auxiliary-station-faq

Oh and I'm back living in the uk so any discussion regarding this is academic.
Old May 5th, 2016, 09:50 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I use a Yaesu FT-2900R as my primary mobile these days. I will always use a Diamond Antenna NR770HB for 2m. I dragged mine through the tamarisk in a creek bed antenna in Idaho last year and the antenna base broke but the antenna survived.
Chris,

What happened to your D710A? Are you still using the D710A for APRS but primarily using the 2900R for voice comms? Also I thought you were running a 706mkII as well? Or did you sell that and stick to the 2900R? Or do you just use it seldomly in the vehicle?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
radio