Old June 3rd, 2016, 02:48 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
If you want to listen to ham radio for fun, run - do not stop at go - to get an rtl-sdr with a Rafael Micro R820T chip. For example:

Amazon.com: RTL-SDR Blog R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Software Defined Radio (Dongle Only): Electronics

Some kits will come with an antenna for $20.00

You get 24 MHz to 1.766GHz simultaneous receive with waterfall. You can visualize the entire RF spectrum and even decode digital. Stupid easy.

Forget any other HAM radio receiver. HAM radio is in the stone ages. I first learned about RTL-SDR in 2010 working with terrestrial GPS decoding. HAMs have finally caught on and now the software community even has freeware digital voice decoding.

You can run rings around anyone with a $1600 HF receiver with a $20 RTL-SDR dongle. The only negative is you can't transmit, but that's what your Baofeng is for. Easiest, cheapest, and best way to hear Jason CQ'ing on 10m from the UK.
I have a couple of SDR's as well ... a super cheap one configured with a raspberry Pi as an APRS iGate ... and a slightly higher spec one to do HF.

SDR's are pretty amazing and are very useful ... but since there arent any valve radios still made this old hipster went for the new box.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:56 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Get a dual band 2m / 70cm rig. That will open things up a bit more and with a MARS mod you'll be able to 'listen' to FRS buddies.

5w and a decent antenna is reasonable for repeater work. I have a diamond NR770HB from theantennafarm.com and it's great quality for the money.

I have a hand held that I have the audio running to the aux in on my stereo as the truck is a bit noisy for the built in speaker.

I have a baofung 5vr for $30 and a $350 yaseu and the baofung audio is better!
Jason, you do not need a MARS mod to go FRS, the Baofeng can handle it out of the box, and many YAESU none USA spec, can as well without a mod

the GMRS license is not exam driven but cost 60.00 for 5 years
Old June 3rd, 2016, 05:16 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Jason, you do not need a MARS mod to go FRS, the Baofeng can handle it out of the box, and many YAESU none USA spec, can as well without a mod the GMRS license is not exam driven but cost 60.00 for 5 years
But my Yaesu did and that's the radio I use most. Apra on one side and whatever I need on the other. I'm excited to try a bit of HF and maybe put it in my new truck when I get it.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat