Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88

Pic was original! I took them. They are making my iPhone ugly every time I look at them.

What if I alter the pic in some way and call it art... since I am an artist I should be able to do that.

Or I chop the truck into lots of smaller jpgs and you guys can piece it together like a puzzle.
Anything you would do to the picture would improve the overall look. I say just change the license plate to douche, wuss, sue u, illegal, ugly, DMCA, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

there is nothing illegal about taking pictures of someones vehicle parked on the street or their own driveway and posting them on the internet. If there was something illegal about it we would have figured it out since we had a complete nut job following officers around and taking pictures of their personal vehicles, houses, wife's vehicles, tag numbers of personal vehicles and unmarked cars, where the kids went to daycare and other crazy shit and then posting it all on her website. We fought it for two years and could never win. The judge would always say that it was legal because she had no malicious intent. We could never make anyone understand that maybe she had no malicious intent, but people that did could get all the info they needed from her site and hunt us and our families down. So repost the picture and tell that lawyer to kiss your ass. I know we have lawyers on this site that would love to write a letter back to that guy and explain the whole situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

My wife is an advertising art buyer. Part ot her job is securing image rights and insuring that all images have releases for commercial advertising. Had that hideous truck been in the background of an advert and no release was obtained the owner could sue. However, anyone can take a photo of something in the public domain without a release and use that image as long as it is not used commercially.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

So we have established this guy as the #1 Land Rover that SUCKS!

Now I would like to establish which user on this forum made note of it???? The guy was probably a lawyer or worked for a firm to get a letter turned around within a few hours.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

My d90

That is my truck. Firstly, I was not annoyed at all regarding the fact that someone did not like the paint/wheels. I was looking for several months and it was what I wanted mechanically, not aesthetically.

I have boost wheels and have not had a minute to put tires on them since it came over. Believe it or not, it was more "euro-spec" and I have been toning it down as I have time. Yes, it had the chrome pipes coming out of the air vents and the rdx grille painted in two tone. I was originally going to have it painted asap but have had other minor things to work on and the "fire and ice" is growing on me.

I had never been on this site before, a friend forwarded me the content of the post yesterday morning.

I do not think it is appropriate to have my license plate and location very near to where I park daily posted on the internet. I am a lawyer and was out of the office, I forwarded the link to someone else in the firm who sent out the standard take-down notice that almost all websites require.

Anything involving images needs to have DMCA in the title to be forwarded to the correct department. It is not a scare tactic. If one of the experts on here does not believe me go ahead and ask any internet host. I do not believe the person who sent out the take-down even knew it was going directly to the administrator. Usually they are sent to a department within the host provider and the images are taken down. My concern was one of public policy, not copyright.

I signed up for the site to post a reply once I got back and actually browsed this site and saw that you were all going crazy on here. It took until now for the membership to activate.

I do not think it is out of line to ask not to have my street location and license plate posted (in addition to numerous photos of the truck). I don't know why this forum seems to take personal offense to that.

It was tasteless for the photographer (who felt the need to include my street location) to threaten to post on the site that he was going to look for the vin. I was not out of line in wanting the photos down.

This site is publicly accessible and I do not need discussion over the Defender or whether or not it is legal (in addition to where it is located). When you post something on the web it is here for everyone to see. If you are all Defender owners on here I would appreciate if you would be mindful of this.

There is nothing illegal about the truck. It is a Defender with Range Rover Sport wheels that are going to be taken off shortly; not that complicated.

I hope everyone on here can be respectful and this will be the end of it. If you would like to email the photographer, who seems to take personal offense to the fact that I don't want photos of my truck on the web, go ahead. I would ask him to only send the side shot (with the ugly Range Rover Sport wheels visible). Thanks.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Ben, when he pulled up next to your truck to take a picture, did you really say he could not take a picture of it, per the letter sent from your firm? All of us post up near where we see trucks...it's NYC...we give cross-streets. When you live in NYC you anticipate that your privacy is going to be diminished to at least some degree. Your address is likely shared with hundreds of other people. I could perhaps understand if you lived out in the country and your car was parked out in your driveway. Your car is parked out on the public roads in a public domain. It's really not as big of a deal as you have wanted to make this out to be. That said, we're having a NYC meetup in April for Land Rover enthusiasts. If you are interested in attending, search for NYC Meetup. If your wheels are not installed by then, we will personally help you take those ugly things off. This site will likely prove invaluable to you in the future, if used properly.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

ah well, at least you were a good sport about it all. Oh wait...

"I'm a lawyer"
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90td5 View Post
That is my truck. Firstly, I was not annoyed at all regarding the fact that someone did not like the paint/wheels. I was looking for several months and it was what I wanted mechanically, not aesthetically.

I have boost wheels and have not had a minute to put tires on them since it came over. Believe it or not, it was more "euro-spec" and I have been toning it down as I have time. Yes, it had the chrome pipes coming out of the air vents and the rdx grille painted in two tone. I was originally going to have it painted asap but have had other minor things to work on and the "fire and ice" is growing on me.

I had never been on this site before, a friend forwarded me the content of the post yesterday morning.

I do not think it is appropriate to have my license plate and location very near to where I park daily posted on the internet. I am a lawyer and was out of the office, I forwarded the link to someone else in the firm who sent out the standard take-down notice that almost all websites require.

Anything involving images needs to have DMCA in the title to be forwarded to the correct department. It is not a scare tactic. If one of the experts on here does not believe me go ahead and ask any internet host. I do not believe the person who sent out the take-down even knew it was going directly to the administrator. Usually they are sent to a department within the host provider and the images are taken down. My concern was one of public policy, not copyright.

I signed up for the site to post a reply once I got back and actually browsed this site and saw that you were all going crazy on here. It took until now for the membership to activate.

I do not think it is out of line to ask not to have my street location and license plate posted (in addition to numerous photos of the truck). I don't know why this forum seems to take personal offense to that.

It was tasteless for the photographer (who felt the need to include my street location) to threaten to post on the site that he was going to look for the vin. I was not out of line in wanting the photos down.

This site is publicly accessible and I do not need discussion over the Defender or whether or not it is legal (in addition to where it is located). When you post something on the web it is here for everyone to see. If you are all Defender owners on here I would appreciate if you would be mindful of this.

There is nothing illegal about the truck. It is a Defender with Range Rover Sport wheels that are going to be taken off shortly; not that complicated.

I hope everyone on here can be respectful and this will be the end of it. If you would like to email the photographer, who seems to take personal offense to the fact that I don't want photos of my truck on the web, go ahead. I would ask him to only send the side shot (with the ugly Range Rover Sport wheels visible). Thanks.
I knew he was a Lawyer!!!!!

And I knew it was a TD5!!!

Better come for beer so you can hang out with other Lawyers, Cops, Web Developers, Bankers and maybe one salesman!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

Sorry about posting the photo, I do understand that adding the address of where the truck was located was kind of dick. I probably wouldn't want someone saying where my truck was located, especially if it was brand new. I was a bit paranoid when I brought my truck back to NY.

To show you I am sorry, I will buy you a beer at the Beer Garden in Astoria. We are having a meet-up there in April - http://bit.ly/hKA7iT

In all honesty the truck is not ugly if you got a good deal on it and know you want to change the look to make it look like a normal Defender. I should have posted about your truck in the "sightings" thread instead. We are good people on this site and actually more helpful than hurtful.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I think he's probably fearing being shanghaied by the Taste Police. I think Lifetime has a show where they jump unsuspecting hooptie owners, throw them in a dark basement cell and feed them Lean Cuisines until they swear to buy a Mercedes Benz.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Dan, no worries man. I get that this is a tight knit group and sometimes we all kind of forget how accessible the internet is to everyone.

Someone had asked me on Saturday when I was getting my hockey gear out of the truck to take a photo. I assumed it was the same guy (when looking at the images on my Blackberry). I now see Dan drives a green d-90, and it was not him.

Usually images are removed remotely. I did not realize it was going to cause such a scene.

Really, not offended I can assure you guys.

I have a Slovakian buddy that works there. Will try to make it. Cheers.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ben:

Kudos for addressing things and joining the list. Actually I think the feeding frenzy was related to people on the list get charged up when they think someone is telling them what to do (we all tend to be similar personalities like that), plus I've found we like a good ball-breaking session with each other (which will continue at Happy Hours....or just ask Horsey for God's sake - he takes more abuse than anyone).

Also good to see you share the same feeling on the Range rims your rig came with - that's what most people where busting you about. Either way, folks where just having a little fun....get those changed out and you'll have an enviable TD5. But again welcome to the list, and post up some pics of your rig as you continue to get it sorted to your liking.

Is this your first Defender and/or Rover?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Welcome to the site Ben, I'm glad you signed up and replied. Sorry about taking so long to approve your account, I usually do it in the morning before I dive into the legal hate emails.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

but everyone does realize there was nothing illegal about posting that picture, right? He had a email sent implying that if it didn't come off the sight then there might be legal action. Since he is now here then I am curious as to what he would have done if the pictures stayed up. The better thing to do would have been to sign up for an account and ask the poster to remove the picture. having a email sent from an attorney is a dick move. Stuff like this always bothers me and I don't know why.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
He had a email sent implying that if it didn't come off the sight then there might be legal action.
Actually, it appears all it says is "Must" be removed asap, with no implications listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letter View Post
The unauthorized photographs of the vehicle must be removed from the Website as soon as possible.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Hey Nathan:

Yep, first Defender I have owned. I had driven a 300tdi a few years back. I have been looking to import one for several years. I was all ready on a different D-90 almost a year ago and then this came up from the same seller who I had since become friends with.

The wheels and other cosmetics were a sticky issue and I didn't want any hurt feelings. It is chipped and mapped with a great turbo and the seller took pride in the design. I really couldn't complain.

The truck had been painted to go with the bonnet, which is the only reason I'm hesitant to paint it all white. That bonnet is a vin number only issue in Europe. Once re-painted it is just a standard Puma bonnet. Ideally, I would have swapped it over there and made some cash.

I couldn't drive on dealer plates for more than two days because I was heading back to London and got busy with work/life so decided to sort everything over here.

Currently having an issue with the alarm which is my first priority. That's the story of the paint and wheels!

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

That email is a standard take-down. In order for images to be directed to the correct department within the host provider they need to have DMCA in the title. That take-down was not sent to the site administrator and it did not threaten legal action. The host provided forwarded it on. It is a standard email that normally would be sorted out by whomever is hosting the site (not the site administrator).

I ok'd the take-down when I was told that there was no immediately visible email on the site. Last night I saw a link to Dan's personal Website but, like I said, I was so busy all day and did not handle this myself. I actually would have handled it slightly differently, but that is another story.

As I stated before, my issue is one of public policy. Whether or not you feel it is a "dick-move" has no bearing. I also stated I was out of the office and could not pull up this site. I signed up yesterday afternoon and it took until this morning to activate.

People shouldn't just post things all over the web. I stated my concerns before and I do not think I was out of line.

I was scammed few years back and the detectives came to my apartment with a Facebook page of a guy in California bragging about stealing from people in New York. He was eventually arrested and is Federal prison. My point is, people read things written on the web.

If my truck got stolen as a result of the location where I almost always park being posted I bet Dan would have felt horrible. We don't live in some Utopian world with no crime and, as we all know, Defenders are a sensitive issue with customs.

I don't get to Virginia often, but would assume people steal there too.

Also, try a google search for "internet take-down" and see what comes up. I guarantee it is a form similar to the one our firm uses. The word DMCA gets images directed to the correct department, that is all. I deal with copyright and internet infringement daily.

Ben

------ Follow up post added March 22nd, 2011 12:10 PM ------

Chris,
No worries man.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ben, welcome to the forums. After the shit-storm passes I'm sure you'll like it here

I think what people are getting at is that the expected response would have been to have asked whomever told you about this posting to just post up saying something like "Hey, I know that guy and he asked if you could remove the location and blank out his tags (or just remove the post entirely) as he is concerned about privacy" as a first step. If nothing came of it, or we resisted, the the form letters would be more understandable. Your request was not unreasonable, but the way you went about it was "dick like".

One of the quickest ways to make friends here will be to post a picture of your liking and/or start a build thread.

Anyway, again, welcome.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Your request was not unreasonable, but the way you went about it was "lawyerly".
Fixed it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Ben, when he pulled up next to your truck to take a picture, did you really say he could not take a picture of it, per the letter sent from your firm? All of us post up near where we see trucks...it's NYC...we give cross-streets. When you live in NYC you anticipate that your privacy is going to be diminished to at least some degree. Your address is likely shared with hundreds of other people. I could perhaps understand if you lived out in the country and your car was parked out in your driveway. Your car is parked out on the public roads in a public domain. It's really not as big of a deal as you have wanted to make this out to be. That said, we're having a NYC meetup in April for Land Rover enthusiasts. If you are interested in attending, search for NYC Meetup. If your wheels are not installed by then, we will personally help you take those ugly things off. This site will likely prove invaluable to you in the future, if used properly.
Horsey, do not invite a Lawyer, they are nuclear warheads, once around them everything gets f@#k'd up *LMAO*

------ Follow up post added March 22nd, 2011 02:07 PM ------

Oh man, I can keep my mouth shut, I love when some recently graduated suit makes sure you know is a Lawyer, so fear he will follow America's Favorite Sport.. Suing People *LMAO*

No invasion of Privacy existed by posting a car on a public road.. I am sure they teach that in Law School
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Goose - let's be honest, I'm sure you probably have a law degree (since you have everything else!).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat