Hall of Shame of "Land Rovers that Suck" - Page 18 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 21st, 2011, 04:15 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

wow! sorry about that Chris. didn't know it would cause the hassle. Technically the truck wasn't super ugly, it just had 20 inch rims on and low profile tires that looked painted on. I didn't like the black and white color combo which looked like the Fire and Ice Defenders.

I find it strange that photos of something in a public place can cause a stir. Can't you obtain plate numbers publicly too? or maybe it was too ugly and the owner just wanted it taken down

If anyone wants to see the ugly, PM me! muahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2011, 04:17 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

No expectation of privacy parked on a public street... unless we were displaying the registration etc. Having said that, you did my eyes a favor by taking it down
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
So wait did you ask the guy if you could take pictures of his truck and he said no??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2011, 04:39 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
So wait did you ask the guy if you could take pictures of his truck and he said no??
He just posted pics of an intersting Defender and somebody did not like their truck getting talked about...

D-90 probably would have won that battle, I mean hell..... how many times have we seen Britney's, Paris's, and Miley's snatch on the internet.
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Most likely you are right but I dont have time to deal with it right now. I was researching the matter after the fact and basicly there was really no leg to stand on against the site. I'm sure they could find something to go to battle with Dan about but as for taking the picture, assume the street was a public street, he doesnt require permission regardless if the owner said no. the truck is fully viewable in public and does not fall under any right to privacy stipulations that I could see.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
The owner must work for Land Rover NA if he was that quick to have his lawyer draft a letter for complete and utter nonsense.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:41 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
More likely he's just got some jackass friend that works for a law firm and drafted a note on legal letterhead as a favor.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 21st, 2011, 05:42 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
More likely he's just got some jackass friend that works for a law firm and drafted a note on legal letterhead as a favor.
Bingo. Happens all the time.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
That's crap. It was parked in public. edit out the tag and repost. I'm betting they where just upset it was in the ugly thread. move it to the spotted sections and the owner would have chimed in. He got his feelings hurt. I like it too except the wheels.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:57 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Horsey, I can't believe you don't have the pics cached somewhere!

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

I would blur the plate/markings/reg and not mention where it was spotted but id rather not have Chris deal with that crap again. I am actually more interested in it because it looked to be a newer imported model. maybe its illegal? thats why the mean letter? I have no idea. I should have got the VIN and crawled under the front to see if it was a puma. I hope the dude puts nicer rims on it.
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Maybe it's a 2014 mule like the Detroit dealers cruise around in every once in a while. I recall when I ordered my Shelby there where always spy shots out of Detroit!
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I would blur the plate/markings/reg and not mention where it was spotted but id rather not have Chris deal with that crap again. I am actually more interested in it because it looked to be a newer imported model. maybe its illegal? thats why the mean letter? I have no idea. I should have got the VIN and crawled under the front to see if it was a puma. I hope the dude puts nicer rims on it.
Ahh its all good, no worries. It was only the one email and I didnt even have time to reply to them let alone dive into exactly what amazing battle plan they thought they had in mind.

Honestly I would repost the side shot. If its such a super secret squirrel ride, then it has no business at all being out on the public streets of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
I def think the owner is more worried about his Land Rover (that sucks) getting snatched up by the Feds for being an illegal 1998 D90
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Oh since people are lurking in the shadows watching here, let me take a moment to point out the site usage policy you agree to when you come to The D-90 Source and start emailing me:

Quote:
All content, pictures, forum postings (public and private messages), and email communications sent, submitted or posted to the Site/site owner/admins/moderators, become/are the property of The D-90 Source. By making such submissions, you acknowledge that you are in agreement to these conditions, that this policy supersedes any privacy policy your particular communication may attach to your communications, that you grant The D-90 Source a nonexclusive, royalty-free, right to reproduce, use, modify, publish, adapt, translate, create derivative/promotional works from, for display or sale.
If you have a problem with something someone has posted, please contact them directly first.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

If it's not being used for profit, it's fair game.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:26 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It was heinous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888

It must have been epic ugly.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
My favorite part of the takedown notice was them trying to use the DMCA as their excuse per the header.

Was the picture pirated in some way? The DMCA has nothing to do with it... it just sounds scary when people see it.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:33 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
My favorite part of the takedown notice was them trying to use the DMCA as their excuse per the header.

Was the picture pirated in some way? The DMCA has nothing to do with it... it just sounds scary when people see it.
Pic was original! I took them. They are making my iPhone ugly every time I look at them.

What if I alter the pic in some way and call it art... since I am an artist I should be able to do that.

Or I chop the truck into lots of smaller jpgs and you guys can piece it together like a puzzle.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:34 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It's funny...any post in this section usually just stays as-is, or maybe one comment at most. Pushing back has done nothing but fuel the fire for us!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat