Hackers Virtually Hijack Jeep Cherokee - Crash it from miles away - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 21st, 2015, 05:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Hackers Virtually Hijack Jeep Cherokee - Crash it from miles away

Pretty crazy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2299381

Watch the video here: Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway—With Me in It | WIRED

Two hackers hijacked the controls of a speeding Jeep Cherokee and cut the engine on a St. Louis highway all from laptops miles away.

They later steered the SUV around an empty parking lot, disabling the brakes as the driver pumped the useless pedal and crashed head-on into a ditch.

The terrifying stunt, conducted with the help of a reporter for Wired, revealed a potentially fatal flaw in the growing number of high-tech rides.

Hackers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek claim nearly a half-million vehicles are vulnerable across the country and the numbers are growing.

This is what everyone who thinks about car security has worried about for years, Miller told Wired. This is a reality.

The virtual backseat drivers can slip in through a vehicles smartphone-friendly entertainment system and wreak havoc on other computer-controlled operations basically everything in modern automobiles.

Miller and Valasek, both cybersecurity researchers, claim theyve warned carmakers about the danger for years but no one took them seriously so they decided to prove it.

The two sent Wired reporter Andy Greenberg on the road in a Jeep and launched a cyber attack as he hit speeds of 70 mph on a Missouri highway.

Most of the attacks were minor playing rapper Skee-Lo at full volume, flipping on the windshield wipers until they cut the transmission as a tractor-trailer closed in from behind.

As I frantically pressed the pedal and watched the RPMs climb, the Jeep lost half its speed, then slowed to a crawl, Greenberg wrote in his alarming report. This occurred just as I reached a long overpass, with no shoulder to offer an escape.

Jeeps are the most vulnerable, but hundreds of thousands of vehicles using similar online technology are at risk, the hackers said.

Miller and Valasek see their work as a public service. Theyve been sharing their findings with carmakers in hopes of goading them into security reforms before someone gets killed.

Unimpressed by the sluggish response, they plan to release their code at the Black Hat hackers convention in August so it can be peer-reviewed.

Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) plan to introduce a bill that would address the problem with new security standards for automakers.

Cyber security experts say the St. Louis demonstration proves the industry needs to move fast.

If consumers dont realize this is an issue, they should, and they should start complaining to car companies, Miller told Wired. This might be the kind of software bug most likely to kill someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 05:50 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Aren't we glad we drive shitty Series and Defenders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 21st, 2015, 05:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
They don't say in the article, but usually these kinds of attacks take physical access and are not as easy to do as they say. But yes, cars have little to no security built in and it's only a matter of time this sort of thing is going to start happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2015, 06:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Basically they hacked a chip in the entertainment system to act as a proxy to inject codes onto canbus...

In all networks we need to move from trust but verify ( where no-one bothers to verify ) to a zero trust network.

This would mean every device on the car network would need to authenticate itself to communicate with each other.

The underlying principle is assume your network is already compromised and deal with that paradigm.

Unfortunately no one is willing to bare the costs associated with doing this properly and net result is nothing is safe.

Yeah Josh ... The NSA / Chinese military spooks idle their day away watching your dog on your dropcam ...making him chew furniture by playing subliminal messages via your stereo.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You know you can turn it off when you don't want to share with the NSA right?
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
And you guys laugh at me for not having a cell phone... -Jeff
You do know the NSA tracks the thank you button here and G-chat right?
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:45 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
or car mfgs could stop connecting wireless components to the canbus. i.e. commercial airliners.
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:53 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post

You do know the NSA tracks the thank you button here and G-chat right?
Fuck.... I'm in deep shit

Old July 21st, 2015, 08:28 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Fuck.... I'm in deep shit
You used Ashley Madison didn't you?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 21st, 2015, 08:47 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
You used Ashley Madison didn't you?
No, somebody stole my identity!

-----

I saw the article, the access was wireless via the Cellular/Uconnect system to a compromised chip in the entertainment center as mentioned above. This was only a matter of time! I used to be in IT security and people always wonder why I like mechanically injected, manual transmission vehicles with as little electronics as possible... Headlights and wipers!
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:07 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
or car mfgs could stop connecting wireless components to the canbus. i.e. commercial airliners.
Genie is out of the bottle ...

I'm just waiting for the claims of 'my car must have been hacked' as a defense for an accident!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:14 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Genie is out of the bottle ...

I'm just waiting for the claims of 'my car must have been hacked' as a defense for an accident!
#Nailedit
Old July 22nd, 2015, 04:22 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
----- I saw the article, the access was wireless via the Cellular/Uconnect system to a compromised chip in the entertainment center as mentioned above. This was only a matter of time! I used to be in IT security and people always wonder why I like mechanically injected, manual transmission vehicles with as little electronics as possible... Headlights and wipers!
Just because some of us have older vehicles with no electronics doesn't put us out of reach of hackers.
You can be driving down the highway and all of a sudden a bunch of cars or 18-wheelers around you start swerving aimlessly under a hackers control.
And you're in the middle of it all.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:33 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Just because some of us have older vehicles with no electronics doesn't put us out of reach of hackers. You can be driving down the highway and all of a sudden a bunch of cars or 18-wheelers around you start swerving aimlessly under a hackers control. And you're in the middle of it all.
I figured that was the entire point of owning vehicles that do not NEED roads.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:04 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
And Five years ago..

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ked-27333.html

Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:11 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
They don't say in the article, but usually these kinds of attacks take physical access and are not as easy to do as they say. But yes, cars have little to no security built in and it's only a matter of time this sort of thing is going to start happening.
The scary part about this one is that it doesn't. They're just rooting the thing via the cellular internet connection in the car. Just like rooting any other machine.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:07 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
The scary part about this one is that it doesn't. They're just rooting the thing via the cellular internet connection in the car. Just like rooting any other machine.
Anyone see the movie "The Terminator?" We are doing it to ourselves..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
And you guys laugh at me for not having a cell phone...
-Jeff
And I thought I was the only one..

Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Just because some of us have older vehicles with no electronics doesn't put us out of reach of hackers. You can be driving down the highway and all of a sudden a bunch of cars or 18-wheelers around you start swerving aimlessly under a hackers control. And you're in the middle of it all.
so a typical daily drive on DC area roads. Oh wait they aren't hacked.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:18 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
The silly thing to me is that it's not a surprise. It's like connecting the internet to a black network and wondering why the classified network got hacked. Sneakernets exist for a reason.

What I really think is a terrible idea is strong-arming the auto industry into encrypting canbus traffic. If that's where this is heading, this is just going to make costs increase for vehicles.

The simple solution is to just not create a connection between external networks and the vehicle bus. Security 101. Jeep's radio supplier violated this and screwed up.

Same thing goes for the A380. Airbus uses unencrypted CANBUS traffic on one of the most expensive vehicles ever made. If you think a remotely piloted jeep is scary, think about an aircraft carrying 82,000 gallons of aviation fuel and 850 humans. The designers of the aircraft use common sense and prevent these sorts of attacks by a zero-cost principle: isolation.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:37 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

All those wifi enabled cars out there.....zombie apocalypse by auto...

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac