Hackers Virtually Hijack Jeep Cherokee - Crash it from miles away - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:35 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
So I wonder what the Range Rover & LR3/LR4 vulnerabilities are to this kinda stuff? And what the last (somewhat) safe years are or will be..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2015, 03:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The silly thing to me is that it's not a surprise. It's like connecting the internet to a black network and wondering why the classified network got hacked. Sneakernets exist for a reason.

What I really think is a terrible idea is strong-arming the auto industry into encrypting canbus traffic. If that's where this is heading, this is just going to make costs increase for vehicles.

The simple solution is to just not create a connection between external networks and the vehicle bus. Security 101. Jeep's radio supplier violated this and screwed up.

Same thing goes for the A380. Airbus uses unencrypted CANBUS traffic on one of the most expensive vehicles ever made. If you think a remotely piloted jeep is scary, think about an aircraft carrying 82,000 gallons of aviation fuel and 850 humans. The designers of the aircraft use common sense and prevent these sorts of attacks by a zero-cost principle: isolation.
Air gapping doesn't work ... or at least it will be comprised if the target has sufficient value. Of course it makes the bridge harder but it's not impossible.

US NAVY: Hackers 'Jumping The Air Gap' Would 'Disrupt The World Balance Of Power' - SFGate

We have to make the target computationally more challenging ... assume that hackers will always be able to penetrate your network ... or will at some future date is the only realistic approach. Zero trust networks and the encryption of Canbus would go some way to solving this issue.

Ultimately though hackers will get in via the weakest link... and generally that's the meat sat at the keyboard acting as a proxy.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 22nd, 2015, 04:41 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
As an engineer, I find "jumping the air gap" to be spin for funneling funds to the IT security job sector. It's fear mongering for nothing, but hey it's your tax money.

We use the air gap all the time and it works 100%. IMHO, the STUXnet example is not relevant, and the idea that someone used acoustic coupling to communicate with a PC is more of an embarrassment than a real threat. If your NETSEC allowed someone to install a trojan on a system, then it's a failure of NETSEC, not a failure of the PC.

IMHO, encryption of CANBUS doesn't solve any problems. The proof? Once a node is compromised (like a baseband receiver IC on your car radio) then the encryption is totally meaningless. The car radio defeats all CANBUS encryption automatically because it's a trusted node.

Opinion: Keep CANBUS unencrypted, solve the stupid, simple problems.

I agree about the human factor. Whether intentional or unintentional, the danger is always human
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2015, 04:56 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
... They later steered the SUV around an empty parking lot, disabling the brakes as the driver pumped the useless pedal and crashed head-on into a ditch...”
There is no flippen way steering control was taken away from the driver nor brake control (unless the motor was stopped and vacuum was lost after a few brake applications). This BS sensationalism reminds me of the 'unintended' acceleration issue on the Audi 5000 by CBS's 60 minutes, the Isuzu Trooper 'rollover' by Consumer Reports, and many other news stories proven to be total BS yet cost those manufacturers dearly. That being said, the media was spot on with the Pinto and Chevy C/K.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 05:01 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
As an engineer, I find "jumping the air gap" to be spin for funneling funds to the IT security job sector. It's fear mongering for nothing, but hey it's your tax money.

We use the air gap all the time and it works 100%. IMHO, the STUXnet example is not relevant, and the idea that someone used acoustic coupling to communicate with a PC is more of an embarrassment than a real threat. If your NETSEC allowed someone to install a trojan on a system, then it's a failure of NETSEC, not a failure of the PC.

IMHO, encryption of CANBUS doesn't solve any problems. The proof? Once a node is compromised (like a baseband receiver IC on your car radio) then the encryption is totally meaningless. The car radio defeats all CANBUS encryption automatically because it's a trusted node.

Opinion: Keep CANBUS unencrypted, solve the stupid, simple problems.

I agree about the human factor. Whether intentional or unintentional, the danger is always human
Its about having layers of security and assuming they will get broken ... encryption of CANBUS would also need to be matched with a restricted list of trusted objects for each node.

Old approaches to network design rely on trust but verify ... ( as in this case - without the verify ) ... newer approaches rely on zero trust and the verify occurring on every transaction.

No node should be trusted - meat or silicon.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
The scary part about this one is that it doesn't. They're just rooting the thing via the cellular internet connection in the car. Just like rooting any other machine.
Mmmh that is scary.

I don't know what the answer is, but if you have seen how much crap is flying on the CAN bus, I don't think encryption is achievable at any reasonable cost. Isolating the buses is a start (I thought most did this already) but physical access can defeat that fairly easily too. I agree that people are just as big of a problem and easy/easier to exploit.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:39 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
There is no flippen way steering control was taken away from the driver nor brake control (unless the motor was stopped and vacuum was lost after a few brake applications). This BS sensationalism reminds me of the 'unintended' acceleration issue on the Audi 5000 by CBS's 60 minutes, the Isuzu Trooper 'rollover' by Consumer Reports, and many other news stories proven to be total BS yet cost those manufacturers dearly. That being said, the media was spot on with the Pinto and Chevy C/K.
I can see steering possibly being compromised on some cars. We had a Honda Civic Hybrid and the steering was electric.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

It was the Suzuki Samurai that was panned for rollover.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:44 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
It was the Suzuki Samurai that was panned for rollover.
Occurred to both but for the Isuzu (in late1996) it was more grievous with an absurd amount of counter steer entered by CR when compared to other SUVs tested. Hence, of course it will rollover.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac