Gwinnett, GA Stealership - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 7th, 2005, 08:35 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Gwinnett, GA Stealership

My mom's D2 just had the flex plate go on her a week ago. It dumped all the tranny fluid in the driveway. At any rate she took it to Land Rover Gwinnett and after being told not to drive it by a LR mechanic the assholes at the dealership drive it around anyways. They then claim that $1900 in labor is needed. Now their labor/hour is $120 yet online I read the length to do this job is 9 hours. $1100 is roughly what my math says, funny how they make up another few hours of labor not to mention 120 is just plain crazy. Sorry for ranting but want to certainly steer people clear of that place.

On another note regarding this, is the flex plate going a sign of further problems? Should a rebuilt tranny be put in or is replacing the plate enough? I only ask b/c I know a few of you guys have D2s
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
call the BBB if the dealer broke it then they are responsible whats a flex plate?
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

The flex plate had already gone but specifically the advice is not to start the engine or move the truck under its own power or else it will damage the vehicle more. My mother made the point to them that their mechanics should know better if they were going to charger 2k in labor costs, they didn't have much to say to that.
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2005, 09:22 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
In my opinion, all of the Hennessy Rover dealers have gone way down hill. My family and I have bought over 10 new vehicals from them since 1995. At one point our driveway looked like a Rover dealership, it was almost rediculous. Now, all they do is rip me off when I need work done on my D, and last time I took it to northpoint to get a leak fixed, they charged me $2700 and then told me that they all leak, and that they misdiagnosed the problem. To fix the real leak, they would have to take out the transmission, which would run me another billion dollars.

Maybe next time they will at least use some of the oil that leaked out of my truck to lube themselves up before bending me over.

Another time I went there to buy some parts, and the idiot behind the parts counter told me he was too busy with other customers to look up parts for me. What the hell is that about?
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:08 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Shawn and all ATL area rover owners,
I would like to recommend a guy we have began to use. His name is john eversley and his company is named evermoor ltd. He works out of a big barn in his backyard out in Winder which is far out I realize but the guy is very knowledgable. He works on all kinds of Rovers and lots of Porsches. My dad has a 87 911 and he has done great work on it and when I was there last time he was doing a 109 swap to a hybrid chassis with modern running gear...very cool. He also was hired by Hot Wheels to build a one off replica of a hot wheel with twin blown engines.

I agree in general about their service, it seems to lack any personal response and I always feel like I am inconveniencing them by being there.
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, I also won't go to a dealership anymore after the parts guy told me "we don't carry no parts for no defenders no more". But when I asked for an exhaust manifold gasket for a discovery instead..... WOW, he DID have it!

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:12 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
its like that with some dealers here in NC
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM
lobster
Rob Goodall
1995 D90

Move to Richmond they are very nice and honest
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Rover- Girl

Never ever would I even think about taking any vehicle to a Dealership for repair..
unless under factory warranty...( my own expirience after owning a chevy Corvette )!
I have found a Master tech for all my regular stuff like Oil, lube ect....
any other hardcore trouble shooting I take to a local who has worked on cars all his life.
He tells me what parts I need and works on my truck at my house
Plus he's cute

Well....gottogo and check the truck to make sure it doesn't need anything fixed
this weekend... LOL

Christine
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover- Girl
He tells me what parts I need and works on my truck at my house
Plus he's cute

Well....gottogo and check the truck to make sure it doesn't need anything fixed
this weekend... LOL

Christine
I dont know any guys that would do that for another dude. You're getting special treatment.
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I dont know any guys that would do that for another dude. You're getting special treatment.
LOL...well, I do make sure that I supply plenty of cold Warsteiner to keep him happy...he does
however drink very little until done ( with the truck )
I did mention to my hubby if he wanted " Gary " to work on our Bemmer, but
he quickly declined ...hmm...to bad !
Must be a guy thing.
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:57 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster
Move to Richmond they are very nice and honest
I'll agree with this. The guys in Norfolk (Phillips) were good to me too when I had a CarbeCue down there.
Old December 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I took a 99 D1 to the jerks at LR Gwinnett to have a key fob programmed. I called them up, and Michael White said "no problem, bring it by". My wife, two kids and I sat there for 1.5 hours while the job was completed.....$80.00!!! Fawkers!

I also had a headlight switch fail while I was in Atlanta. I called LR Gwinnett to see if they could fix it. Again, Michael White says "sure, can you be here by 1:00pm?". So, I get there at 12:45 in my 97 D1, drop it off, and walk to Gwinnett Place. I return at 4:30pm to see my truck never moved. I walked inside to see what was up, and Michael tells me they could not get to it that day. I pissed and screamed that I had to be back in VA the next day, and he told me the job would be done if I got there before 1:00......$375.00 Fawker!
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:43 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman
I took a 99 D1 to the jerks at LR Gwinnett to have a key fob programmed. I called them up, and Michael White said "no problem, bring it by". My wife, two kids and I sat there for 1.5 hours while the job was completed.....$80.00!!! Fawkers!
Don't feel bad. My father lost the folding key fob for his Rangie and it cost (if I recall correctly) almost $300 to replace. It took about three months for the fob to make it to the San Antonio dealership. I suppose that they had to get some iron smelted in Northern Scotland and went to Inner Mongolia to drill for the oil required to make the plastic casing. Finally, the damned thing arrived and to our disgust, the key was cut completely wrong and would not start the vehicle. So now we wait another three months for the camel caravan to deliver a new key and cross our fingers that it is cut correctly.

GRRR.

/
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat