Guns and Rovers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Gunmaker's Avatar
Gunmaker
Status: Offline
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 370
Registry
Guns and Rovers

Another Hagn that I built. This one is a 6mm BR on a small action. Built this a year and a half ago. Turkish Walnut stock, integral barrel also. Checkering is 28 lines to the inch and Mark Swanson was the engraver on this project.


Just to be clear I'm not soliciting work, I am currently not taking any commissions as I am to backed up.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0185 - Copy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	48729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0117.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	48730  

__________________
My Rover doesn’t leak oil, she is marking her territory.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old March 7th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
that is gorgeous work!

Any suggestions on where I could source some foam gun holders/separators for a steel gun safe that mounts across the wheel wells in the tub section?

THis gun locker and ammo locker came in my UK truck and my buddy with a S3 and avid duck hunter wants to mount it in his Series but currently the locker has no real protection for the guns. I imagine it came with some type of foam "finger" type separators.

Looking for suggestions on line before we start fabricating stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110-05 025x (450 x 600) (3).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	48731  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Burke's Avatar
Burke
Status: Offline
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Posts: 1,016
Registry
Wow...
__________________
"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:20 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn
Any suggestions on where I could source some foam gun holders/separators for a steel gun safe that mounts across the wheel wells in the tub section?

Looking for suggestions on line before we start fabricating stuff.
How about Pelican pick and pluck foam?
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Rod Hayward's Avatar
Rod Hayward
Status: Offline
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: larkspur, co
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
Another Hagn that I built. This one is a 6mm BR on a small action. Built this a year and a half ago. Turkish Walnut stock, integral barrel also. Checkering is 28 lines to the inch and Mark Swanson was the engraver on this project.

Michael
My goodness, that's a pretty rifle! The pride you take in your work is obvious. I can't imagine the number of hours that must be invested in that thing.
You lost me on the " integral barrel". What's that all about?
__________________
8-track, gun rack, spittoon, gimbal mounted beer buoy, blah, blah, blah, blah......
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Gunmaker's Avatar
Gunmaker
Status: Offline
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 370
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
that is gorgeous work!

Any suggestions on where I could source some foam gun holders/separators for a steel gun safe that mounts across the wheel wells in the tub section?

THis gun locker and ammo locker came in my UK truck and my buddy with a S3 and avid duck hunter wants to mount it in his Series but currently the locker has no real protection for the guns. I imagine it came with some type of foam "finger" type separators.

Looking for suggestions on line before we start fabricating stuff.
Sorry, but I really don't. I would just fab them up. But Horsey had a good suggestion.

------ Follow up post added March 8th, 2012 07:21 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
My goodness, that's a pretty rifle! The pride you take in your work is obvious. I can't imagine the number of hours that must be invested in that thing.
You lost me on the " integral barrel". What's that all about?
Sorry, integral is where all the parts on a barrel, i.e. quarter rib in this case are all from the same piece of steel. On the mini Hagn, that I also posted last night, the quarter rib, rear sight island, sling stud and front sight are all cut from the same piece of steel. You have to start with an oversized barrel. On this one I believe it was a 1.200 straight tube of barrel. On the mini it was 1.050. I've got one that I'm doing for a 458 Rigby that the barrel as it is now is 2.0 inches.
__________________
My Rover doesn’t leak oil, she is marking her territory.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Rod Hayward's Avatar
Rod Hayward
Status: Offline
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: larkspur, co
Posts: 871
Oh, heck! I didn't see your other thread. Isn't that something! Kinda hearkens back to what I always thought of as the golden age of custom rifle work -circa early 1900's. Meant as a complement. I'll bet you try not to dwell on what work like that comes out to when measured by the hour, but must be awfully rewarding in the personal satisfaction department. A true labor of love.

I'd be afraid to get that thing out in the prairie dog town for fear of spilling beer on it, scratching it, or something. What a conundrum!

I don't know much about stress relieving barrels but is that a concern after changing the contour so much?
__________________
8-track, gun rack, spittoon, gimbal mounted beer buoy, blah, blah, blah, blah......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
MUDSUX's Avatar
MUDSUX
Status: Offline
Forrest
Like my Tatas?
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, Fl. US
Posts: 1,641
Registry
Truly beautiful.
__________________
MUDSUX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Gunmaker's Avatar
Gunmaker
Status: Offline
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 370
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
Oh, heck! I didn't see your other thread. Isn't that something! Kinda hearkens back to what I always thought of as the golden age of custom rifle work -circa early 1900's. Meant as a complement. I'll bet you try not to dwell on what work like that comes out to when measured by the hour, but must be awfully rewarding in the personal satisfaction department. A true labor of love.

I'd be afraid to get that thing out in the prairie dog town for fear of spilling beer on it, scratching it, or something. What a conundrum!

I don't know much about stress relieving barrels but is that a concern after changing the contour so much?

Thanks for the complement, I understand it fully. I will say that much of the custom work being done today in the USA is some of the best ever done. It has just progressed to that point. But it is not the same as it use to be and now the only way you will get that quality is with a custom gun. The factory guns are no longer producing the hand work that they use to. Which is good, otherwise a Remington 700 would be thousands of dollars.


Trust me I dwell on how long it takes to build one every day. It is how I make my living. Although I don't make a ton of money I squeak by and don't mind going to work. Heck I even drive a very rare car.


Almost all the guns I build are hunted or used and that gives me great satisfaction. I love to hear how something I built was hunted or what match it won. Scratches = Memory marks of a good time had. And if they are bad they can be fixed.


This one has been to Africa and took about 8 heads of game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin Gun 050.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	48753  
__________________
My Rover doesn’t leak oil, she is marking her territory.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:57 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,526
Registry
That's a pretty gun.

Its a shame to not use these guns I am ashamed to have a collection that never leaves the house.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Gunmaker's Avatar
Gunmaker
Status: Offline
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 370
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
That's a pretty gun.

Its a shame to not use these guns I am ashamed to have a collection that never leaves the house.
I have guns I've never shot.
__________________
My Rover doesn’t leak oil, she is marking her territory.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
I have guns I've never shot.
Hey Mike, where is a good range to shoot out here?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Gunmaker's Avatar
Gunmaker
Status: Offline
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 370
Registry
The only place I have been is Dietz. It is out 46 west towards Boerne. It is just outside of town maybe 5 or so miles from the 337 loop.
__________________
My Rover doesn’t leak oil, she is marking her territory.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suggestions for interesting guns for a movie scene kjva Misc. Chit-Chat 27 March 15th, 2011 03:54 PM
Banning Assault type weapons to keep them out of Mexico ??? Uncle Douglas Misc. Chit-Chat 43 March 6th, 2009 10:23 AM
New Bond Flick JBurt Misc. Chit-Chat 24 November 28th, 2006 11:08 PM
British Army May Be Moving Away from the Defender Screehopper Misc. Chit-Chat 15 August 3rd, 2004 08:09 PM
Playing with Rovers, guns and a hot blonde in Africa wicks Misc. Chit-Chat 1 February 21st, 2004 09:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Copyright