Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Guns and Rovers

Another Hagn that I built. This one is a 6mm BR on a small action. Built this a year and a half ago. Turkish Walnut stock, integral barrel also. Checkering is 28 lines to the inch and Mark Swanson was the engraver on this project.

Just to be clear I'm not soliciting work, I am currently not taking any commissions as I am to backed up.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0185 - Copy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	48729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0117.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	48730  

Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
that is gorgeous work!

Any suggestions on where I could source some foam gun holders/separators for a steel gun safe that mounts across the wheel wells in the tub section?

THis gun locker and ammo locker came in my UK truck and my buddy with a S3 and avid duck hunter wants to mount it in his Series but currently the locker has no real protection for the guns. I imagine it came with some type of foam "finger" type separators.

Looking for suggestions on line before we start fabricating stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110-05 025x (450 x 600) (3).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	48731  
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Wow...
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:20 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn
Any suggestions on where I could source some foam gun holders/separators for a steel gun safe that mounts across the wheel wells in the tub section?

How about Pelican pick and pluck foam?
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
Another Hagn that I built. This one is a 6mm BR on a small action. Built this a year and a half ago. Turkish Walnut stock, integral barrel also. Checkering is 28 lines to the inch and Mark Swanson was the engraver on this project.

Michael
My goodness, that's a pretty rifle! The pride you take in your work is obvious. I can't imagine the number of hours that must be invested in that thing.
You lost me on the " integral barrel". What's that all about?
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
that is gorgeous work!

THis gun locker and ammo locker came in my UK truck and my buddy with a S3 and avid duck hunter wants to mount it in his Series but currently the locker has no real protection for the guns. I imagine it came with some type of foam "finger" type separators.

Sorry, but I really don't. I would just fab them up. But Horsey had a good suggestion.

------ Follow up post added March 8th, 2012 07:21 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
My goodness, that's a pretty rifle! The pride you take in your work is obvious. I can't imagine the number of hours that must be invested in that thing.
You lost me on the " integral barrel". What's that all about?
Sorry, integral is where all the parts on a barrel, i.e. quarter rib in this case are all from the same piece of steel. On the mini Hagn, that I also posted last night, the quarter rib, rear sight island, sling stud and front sight are all cut from the same piece of steel. You have to start with an oversized barrel. On this one I believe it was a 1.200 straight tube of barrel. On the mini it was 1.050. I've got one that I'm doing for a 458 Rigby that the barrel as it is now is 2.0 inches.
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Oh, heck! I didn't see your other thread. Isn't that something! Kinda hearkens back to what I always thought of as the golden age of custom rifle work -circa early 1900's. Meant as a complement. I'll bet you try not to dwell on what work like that comes out to when measured by the hour, but must be awfully rewarding in the personal satisfaction department. A true labor of love.

I'd be afraid to get that thing out in the prairie dog town for fear of spilling beer on it, scratching it, or something. What a conundrum!

I don't know much about stress relieving barrels but is that a concern after changing the contour so much?
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Truly beautiful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
Oh, heck! I didn't see your other thread. Isn't that something! Kinda hearkens back to what I always thought of as the golden age of custom rifle work -circa early 1900's. Meant as a complement. I'll bet you try not to dwell on what work like that comes out to when measured by the hour, but must be awfully rewarding in the personal satisfaction department. A true labor of love.

I'd be afraid to get that thing out in the prairie dog town for fear of spilling beer on it, scratching it, or something. What a conundrum!

I don't know much about stress relieving barrels but is that a concern after changing the contour so much?

Thanks for the complement, I understand it fully. I will say that much of the custom work being done today in the USA is some of the best ever done. It has just progressed to that point. But it is not the same as it use to be and now the only way you will get that quality is with a custom gun. The factory guns are no longer producing the hand work that they use to. Which is good, otherwise a Remington 700 would be thousands of dollars.

Trust me I dwell on how long it takes to build one every day. It is how I make my living. Although I don't make a ton of money I squeak by and don't mind going to work. Heck I even drive a very rare car.

Almost all the guns I build are hunted or used and that gives me great satisfaction. I love to hear how something I built was hunted or what match it won. Scratches = Memory marks of a good time had. And if they are bad they can be fixed.

This one has been to Africa and took about 8 heads of game.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Martin Gun 050.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	48753  
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:57 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
That's a pretty gun.

Its a shame to not use these guns I am ashamed to have a collection that never leaves the house.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
That's a pretty gun.

Its a shame to not use these guns I am ashamed to have a collection that never leaves the house.
I have guns I've never shot.
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
I have guns I've never shot.
Hey Mike, where is a good range to shoot out here?
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
The only place I have been is Dietz. It is out 46 west towards Boerne. It is just outside of town maybe 5 or so miles from the 337 loop.
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat