Gunbroker.com - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Gunbroker.com

Anyone out there using this site, primarily to sell? I signed up, got the account and when I try to list something they give you a whole barrage of questions that I'm a little un easy about. They appear to have done some type of search on me/you so the questions have 5 multiple choice answers and one of them is true and correct. Questions like, who holds my mortgage, what's the payment, did I ever live in this town or on this street. I know the intent is to verify that it's really me who's opened the account but like I said, I'm a little uneasy about it.
As an alternate I'm looking at theknifeauction.com as I'm really trying to sell a knife. Any thoughts on that site as well.

thx,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

this happened to me on another site, but i cant remember which. it asked like what my fathers middle name was and a couple of other questions that i though were not normal. i agree with being uneasy about it. i didnt sign up.

open source is the way of the future, so maybe they pull this information from readily available information (public records now published on the internet (home mortgage holder being one of them), and especially information from facebook (family tree, contact info, schools attended, etc).
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:03 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Never used Gunbroker but back in the day I used AuctionArms.com They were the big kahona right after ebay banned selling guns. They are still around but my customers tell me that it is not frequented as much and that the prices are lower. Probably because thier sight looks the same as it did 10 years ago. So better place to buy not to sell.
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin
Anyone out there using this site, primarily to sell? I signed up, got the account and when I try to list something they give you a whole barrage of questions that I'm a little un easy about. They appear to have done some type of search on me/you so the questions have 5 multiple choice answers and one of them is true and correct. Questions like, who holds my mortgage, what's the payment, did I ever live in this town or on this street. I know the intent is to verify that it's really me who's opened the account but like I said, I'm a little uneasy about it.
As an alternate I'm looking at theknifeauction.com as I'm really trying to sell a knife. Any thoughts on that site as well.

thx,
I just did a credit check on myself and they asked the same type questions. One of them was "which of the following vehicles have you owned". It listed five and one was Land Rover Defender 90. I agree, kind of spooky but this was a legit site...
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

It's just a form of "legitimate" phishing. Information in the information age is money in the bank.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I've used Gunbroker.com to both buy and sell. I've been pretty pleased with it.

And just remember, they're asking those questions not because they are gathering info, they're asking because they already know the answer.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Thanks for all the response and John I think your right, they already know the answers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat