Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Gun Cleaning

I started to post this on a random gun forum, but I want the D-90 Source type of opinion. Looking for a quality all purpose gun cleaning kit. I have bought a couple of cheapo deals that were well, cheapo. Need something for many calibers and guages. Am I better off piecing something together myself? Any help from our Rovering gun boys will be appreciated!

Burke
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:57 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I will put together a list for you. It is best to build your own kit.

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2011 07:09 PM ------

For a Cleaner I would recommend:
1. Hoppe's elite cleaning kit includes Gun oil, Copper terminator, Gun Cleaner
2. General Purpose Shotgun cleaner (sprays strong like brake fluid)
For oils I would recommend:
1. WD-40 (water displacement 40) as a pre oil (used after hoppes #9
2. Remington oil as a follow up the WD
For the stock I would recommend Tru oil stock wax and conditioner
For certain specialized lubricants I would recommend:
1. A dry graphite lubricant for use in cold climates
2. Hoppe's gun grease for the bolts
Brushes:
Get you some cleaning rods (ONLY 1 PIECE) for the rifles, shot guns, and pistols (3 in total)
Then get the specific synthetic brushes and patches (cotton) you need. If you use the copper terminator it will break down the brash brushes...
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:09 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Yes... put your own kit together.
You could ask ten people about cleaning guns and each might recommend something different.

I shoot a lot and clean very little.

For pistols my kit is pretty simple:
I usually cut up old t-shirts as rags
I have bore brushes but typically run a Boresnake down the barrel.
Q-tips are handy.
For most pistols I use Mobil One oil - I also like TSI301.

I have friends who swear by Break Cleaner - but I don't use it.

For rifles a bore guide specific to your rifles bore, proper brass brush + jag and quality coated cleaning rod is recommended. Boresnakes work well too.
I usually use Butches Bore Cleaner for barrels and for ARs carriers/bolt I like Breakfree Powder Blast.
I usually use Breakfree CLP for rifles.

There's lots of places to get gear - Sinclair International http://www.sinclairintl.com/ Midway USA http://www.midwayusa.com/ are a couple.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
X2 on Bore-snakes and BPB for the AR style rifles

I use Brake cleaner on the AK when running lots of cheap ammo or sub-sonic full of lead ammo, then oil up the beast

I have put my tool box together from pieces that suit my needs.

BTW, brake cleaner works wonders on suppressors too
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Ok, I knew you guys would have the answer I needed. Good stuff! It seems simplicity is my goal. Love the q tips and break fluid. I've heard Hoppes is great as well. Think I'll rig up a tackle box and start building what works for me. Gun cleaning has become one of my most relaxing pastimes. Wife won't get near me.
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It's easy to go overboard these days, what with all the bore pastes, foaming bore cleaners, electrostatic cleaners, etc....

If you go with a cleaning rod, make sure to NEVER use any steel cleaning rods. You mainly only see them in old military surplus stuff, but they are out there. Brass is ok in a pinch, but composite one piece rods are much better. Either way, if you use a rod also look into getting a bore guide. Also look into the Otis pull-thru cleaning kits. Very compact, if you need something on the go. I love the bore snakes, but you need to keep them clean, and of course you need a different one for each caliber.

Either way, if it's rifled in the bore, always go breech to muzzle with the brushes and patches. This is where pull-thru's are great, in that they make it essentially mandatory. Not such a big deal on smooth bores or shotguns.

Just make sure to use the RIGHT lubricants. Most things a light gun oil is fine, but there are some oddballs such as M1 Garands, M1 Carbines and such that need grease in some areas.

Man, I really need to get to the range one of these days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
nwp
Nathan Patterson
1994 D-90

Otis

I tried a bunch of crappy stuff from Wal-Mart or similar places but I really like the Otis kit. I'm sure you can find it online. Convenient for sure. LaRue is a good place to see good stuff. He usually doesn't sell inadequate equipment. Plus it's fun to look at all of the neat toys there.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Make your own.

Hoppe's is nice, You can open it and it smells like you are cleaning your gun. But that is all I use it for. Wish they made a scented candle or car freshener that smelled like it.

Bore Snakes = BAD IDEA ......When one comes apart in your bore you will understand what I mean.
WD-40 = Gun Varnish = Bad idea.....although not as bad as a Bore Snake. I take that back. It is worse. It can cause your gun to fail and be dangerous. A bore snake just has the potential to ruin you gun.

Dewey cleaning rods = good idea....a shot gun rod, pistol rod and a .22 for rifle, will get you by. Unless you have a .17 then add a rod.

Wipe out foaming cleaner plus the Accelerator. This stuff rocks! Set it and forget it. I rarely use Wipe Out Patch Out. It can be hard on wood stocks and your skin. I've tried just about all cleaners and have bottles of them around and never use them anymore.

Nylon Brushes if you need them. But Wipe out usually does the trick.

Patches, a bunch of them and the right size. By the way the right size easily goes though the bore. You don't want to have to push so hard the rod bends and then damages your bore.

I really like Rem-Oil it’s hard to beat.

As for a grease I usually use Brownells Action Lube Plus Or Shooters Choice Synthetic All-Weather High-Tech Gun Grease.

My two cents for what it’s worth.
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post

Hoppe's is nice, You can open it and it smells like you are cleaning your gun. But that is all I use it for. Wish they made a scented candle or car freshener that smelled like it.
http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_air_freshener.html

ha,ha. A little pricey though...

I like those Tipton action cleaning kits with the little woven cotton jobs and the plastic stick handle for cleaning up the area around recoil lugs.
I've never tried your bore cleaner. Will have to foul a couple up and give it a go!
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Whidbey
Chris
86' 110

Registry
Watch out for Wd-40 in autos like Ruger 10/22 and Browning BAR's (and probably any other auto action). It will gum up in cold weather and jam. Not good during elk season.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat