GRP / fiberglass Bonnets (Look here Buckon37s) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

GRP / fiberglass Bonnets (Look here Buckon37s)

Noticed some people posting that they were intrested in a fiberglass or GRP bonnet and came across the following and thought I would post up.

http://www.boltonbits.net/land-rover...s-c-52_80.html

And

http://www.flatdoguk.com/bonnets.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Just curious- what's the advantage of fiberglass? Is it weight savings- or cool hood scoops? I would think it might form stress cracks with off-road abuse.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Just curious- what's the advantage of fiberglass? Is it weight savings- or cool hood scoops? I would think it might form stress cracks with off-road abuse.
Yes!

------ Follow up post added July 4th, 2010 04:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Noticed some people posting that they were intrested in a fiberglass or GRP bonnet and came across the following and thought I would post up.

http://www.boltonbits.net/land-rover...s-c-52_80.html

And

http://www.flatdoguk.com/bonnets.htm
Thats really awesome man, thanks!! And it doesn't seem that expensive at all. I am going to get a shipping quote to see how much it will be. But the hood scoop one is smoken, I need to get rid of some heat anyway!

Hey, has anyone bought from Boltonbits.net. The first link? It comes up with no shipping cost and 174 pounds. That doesn't seem right. I was expecting a fortune to ship it over to the states. And they only accept money orders.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Dave,

Contact Safari Rover, he is or will be in England for 2 weeks on a buying trip, maybe he could pick one up for you and toss it in is container.

Old July 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Dave,

Contact Safari Rover, he is or will be in England for 2 weeks on a buying trip, maybe he could pick one up for you and toss it in is container.
I'll do that. Thanks! I think I will call them tonight too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have bought lights from bolt on bits- had the parts delivered to my Uk address so can't speak to shipping

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

I asked a few months ago about there LED lights and was told they do not ship or sell to US customers.. So F$%^ them
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90DRC View Post
I asked a few months ago about there LED lights and was told they do not ship or sell to US customers.. So F$%^ them
lol.

Now that I can't get one I really want one! They don't e-mail back though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Dave,

I did contact Safari Rover and it's coming over with his shipment!

Thanks for the advice. It will be nice to have additional cooling and shave a bunch of weight! Looking forword to getting it!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Excellent...

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Cmikefly
William Challancin
97 NAS D90

Buck,

I was considering ordering one of these hoods and fabricating a cold air intake from the scoop. Would you mind having a look at yours when it arrives and see if you think that would be possible. I was thinking to use fiberglass to enclose the bottom of the scoop with an outlet on the passenger side. From there it would be a piece of aviation SCAT hose or similar to the air inlet horn. Alternatively the outlet could be on the back of the scoop but I think the hose would need to make a couple of tight turns to mate up to the filter horn? Of course there will need to be enough slack to open the hood .

You could probably fashion a foam pre-cleaner plug to push into the scoop for dusty conditions.

I have access to all the fiberglass and or sheet metal stuff I would need at work. I donít think the fabrication part would be particularly hard its just a question if there is enough clearance under the hood and if it would be worth doing. My IAT is around 160F now so I believe it would help with HP

Any thoughts?

1997 NAS D90
2005 110 TD5
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

If there was serious interest in a GRP bonnet (or other parts like doors/fenders etc for that matter) I could make some up.... owning a boatyard does have it's up-side!

I am here in the States after all.

Let me know??

Doug
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmikefly View Post
Buck,

I was considering ordering one of these hoods and fabricating a cold air intake from the scoop. Would you mind having a look at yours when it arrives and see if you think that would be possible. I was thinking to use fiberglass to enclose the bottom of the scoop with an outlet on the passenger side. From there it would be a piece of aviation SCAT hose or similar to the air inlet horn. Alternatively the outlet could be on the back of the scoop but I think the hose would need to make a couple of tight turns to mate up to the filter horn? Of course there will need to be enough slack to open the hood .

You could probably fashion a foam pre-cleaner plug to push into the scoop for dusty conditions.

I have access to all the fiberglass and or sheet metal stuff I would need at work. I donít think the fabrication part would be particularly hard its just a question if there is enough clearance under the hood and if it would be worth doing. My IAT is around 160F now so I believe it would help with HP

Any thoughts?
Anything is possible with enough money, speed, or forplay.

I'll post pics when I get it and let you know. My TDi pulls from inside the bay so this may deliver some cooler air and hopefully lowers the bay temps. I get so hot that I have melted plastic before. I like the thought of dropping weight too. The hood is surprisingly heavy.

------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2010 05:39 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
If there was serious interest in a GRP bonnet (or other parts like doors/fenders etc for that matter) I could make some up.... owning a boatyard does have it's up-side!

I am here in the States after all.

Let me know??

Doug
Where were you a week ago!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just found out the hood is on the way over the pond! Smoken. I'm actually excited to see it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, glass